Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes you can replace the AHC with standard suspension - factor in $2k to $5k to do so, depending on your taste in equipment. There isn't a great solution for the front sway bar, the AHC bar is not as thick as the KDSS front bar. Some who have done this say it isn't a big deal.

Don't foget with tax and license you're not going to 'make' money at Carmax.

Recession coming, large, gas guzzling vehicles will not be appreciating in price. Supply is about to increase.

I appreciate all of the opinions. Some more than others. And i have got opinions from 2 mechanics that have seen it in person. For the price im getting it for i think its a go. If it was 28k+ i wouldnt be considering it. My best friend is the master Tech at lexus so my labor cost isnt the avg labor cost for most. That being said its mechanically sound and has been serviced 60+ times at lexus for schedule maintenance and checkups. I pray i dont have to deal with any huge repairs in the future but for 20k i can drive it for 2-3 years and sell it for more than that or i get lucky and keep it 10+ years. In my opinion its a cant lose situation

You were smart to come to this forum for advice because it's likely the most knowledgeable group of 200 series owners and enthusiasts just about anywhere in the world, and it would be smart to follow the advice that pretty much everyone has given so far - the rust is too advanced and it will give you major issues without question. It will be a losing battle trying to chase down and repair all of the issues you will encounter, and it will cost far more than you think. It's definitely not a can't lose situation and almost certainly a losing and very expensive proposition in the long run.

I appreciate all the help. I wrote earlier a rear line AHC rusted and leaked all the hydraulic fluid. The vehicle just went into the low position. Wasnt stranded. Are you meaning if im offroading somewhere? I can see that being a huge issue if that were the case
Bro, looks like you made up your mind.
Finding another lx/lc which has 130k miles at 2011 for 20k is better since these trucks run much longer.
What is the intent of buying this truck for you? , you already said not for off roading, then what else? like keep it for a really long time?

You are asking about replacing the AHC with regular shocks, sure it can be done but then why get the LX 570. If there is one thing I like about the truck is it smooth suspension when I travel on any road, we dont feel the ride. AHC give you the ability to raise your height if you are in bad terrain (snow, mud, sand, gravel or just passing a curb), if you want to delete AHC and all, then what is your main intent to own this truck?

Looks like the answer is, You already decided to own this one and looking for affirmation to go for it.

Everything in this truck can be replaced relatively. (Engine, transmission etc), the most expensive thing to replace would be the frame of the truck or parts of it. That is why "RUST" is the biggest factor in these trucks to avoid as everything else statistically runs longer but rusted frame is what we dread as it cant be fixed easily.

Last edited:
Everything in this truck can be replaced relatively. (Engine, transmission etc), the most expensive thing to replace would be the frame of the truck or parts of it. That is why "RUST" is the biggest factor in these trucks to avoid as everything else statistically runs longer but rusted frame is what we dread as it cant be fixed easily.
Thanks for the advice but theres no rust on frame other than cosmetic surface. Im more worried about it rusting out components underneath or AHC stuff other than the rear line thats being replaced. What exactly can rust thats going to be expensive to fix other than frame? I understand rusty bolts are going to be a pain for my mechanic but other than that what? Thanks again guys, def listening to everyones opinion just playing devils advocate here

Thanks for the advice but theres no rust on frame other than cosmetic surface. Im more worried about it rusting out components underneath or AHC stuff other than the rear line thats being replaced. What exactly can rust thats going to be expensive to fix other than frame? I understand rusty bolts are going to be a pain for my mechanic but other than that what? Thanks again guys, def listening to everyones opinion just playing devils advocate here

I hear that term a lot “cosmetic rust”. Its a bit of a misnomer bc rust is a chemical reaction at the molecular level. Nothing surface level about rust. Its not like a “patina”, its more like metal rot.

Its also not that one particular thing is expensive, its that a 5 min job might incur 5 hours of labor. And everything is more expensive and time consuming.

But anyway man, now it’s yours and i wanna see progress!

Heres some inspo from a channel i like, i think hes a west coast hipster detailer, its not a true resto. But the videography is great.

Here is a true restoration madman. I have nothing for respect for this guy and its one of the best automotive videos and projects ive seen in my life. Great example of how rust creeps too. Its no easy task!

Just buy it. You aren’t going to get affirmation here.
I hear that term a lot “cosmetic rust”. Its a bit of a misnomer bc rust is a chemical reaction at the molecular level. Nothing surface level about rust. Its not like a “patina”, its more like metal rot.

Its also not that one particular thing is expensive, its that a 5 min job might incur 5 hours of labor. And everything is more expensive and time consuming.

Heres some inspo from a channel i like, i think hes a west coast hipster detailer, its not a true resto. But the videography is great.

Here is a true restoration madman. I have nothing for respect for this guy and its one of the best automotive videos and projects ive seen in my life. Great example of how rust creeps too. Its no easy task!

Im watching both now thanks

Bro..thats my car. My buddy is doing this in a week or two and now i feel more optimistic. Question, is this just cosmetic or will this actually help with future problems? I understand bolts will still be rusted underneath but as far as slowing the process it should help tremendously correct? Thanks

You were smart to come to this forum for advice because it's likely the most knowledgeable group of 200 series owners and enthusiasts just about anywhere in the world, and it would be smart to follow the advice that pretty much everyone has given so far - the rust is too advanced and it will give you major issues without question. It will be a losing battle trying to chase down and repair all of the issues you will encounter, and it will cost far more than you think. It's definitely not a can't lose situation and almost certainly a losing and very expensive proposition in the long run.

Not arguing the rust anymore i get it. But yes its LITERALLY cant lose situation. Carmax offered me 4k over what i paid and thats with the AHC light on and the rust noted on the buy sheet. Im doing the undercarriage in a week or so and the rear line was replaced yesterday. So no more ahc light or issues. If i drive this untill the next major issue when that will be idk but i can sell it by owner for more than i paid or worst case right back to carmax.

Not arguing the rust anymore i get it. But yes its LITERALLY cant lose situation. Carmax offered me 4k over what i paid and thats with the AHC light on and the rust noted on the buy sheet. Im doing the undercarriage in a week or so and the rear line was replaced yesterday. So no more ahc light or issues. If i drive this untill the next major issue when that will be idk but i can sell it by owner for more than i paid or worst case right back to carmax

Hope it works out for you. But, I don't understand why you even posted. Why ask for advice if you already have your mind made up? It's strange. Should have just bought it and never posted. You are a new user and come to the most popular (and helpful) 200 forum for advice. You overwhelmingly get advice not to buy (probably 15 to 1), but you buy anyway. :meh:

I'll echo what @bloc said, "Just buy it. You aren’t going to get affirmation here." Come back in a few years and update us. Hopefully, you don't have any issues and prove us all wrong. But, I wouldn't touch that truck, especially when "money isn't an issue". You have no idea what kind of rust is hiding where you can't see. What you can see is a great indicator for what lies beneath, and it doesn't look good.

Hope it works out for you. But, I don't understand why you even posted. Why ask for advice if you already have your mind made up? It's strange. Should have just bought it and never posted. You are a new user and come to the most popular (and helpful) 200 forum for advice. You overwhelmingly get advice not to buy (probably 15 to 1), but you buy anyway. :meh:

I'll echo what @bloc said, "Just buy it. You aren’t going to get affirmation here." Come back in a few years and update us. Hopefully, you don't have any issues and prove us all wrong. But, I wouldn't touch that truck, especially when "money isn't an issue". You have no idea what kind of rust is hiding where you can't see. What you can see is a great indicator for what lies beneath, and it doesn't look good.

I think he might have bought it before posting or thereabout and is trying to justify his purchase....

"Carmax offered me 4k over what i paid"

I have 6 different people in my messages saying its not that bad and easily main-table. So its not 15-1 and i appreciate everyones opinion.

Not arguing the rust anymore i get it. But yes its LITERALLY cant lose situation. Carmax offered me 4k over what i paid and thats with the AHC light on and the rust noted on the buy sheet. Im doing the undercarriage in a week or so and the rear line was replaced yesterday. So no more ahc light or issues. If i drive this untill the next major issue when that will be idk but i can sell it by owner for more than i paid or worst case right back to carmax
I bought it but have 7 days to return through my dealer. So yes i own and yes i can return

@jason2323 Its definitely not the worst I’ve seen, Im rooting for you!

Not taking advice is extremely common though, happens to me all the time.

Friends:
“Hey Mal im buying this house, needs XYZ”

Me: Ok, do ABC.

Them: “Sounds good thanks!”

Them 6 mos later:
“Hey man, i paid $75k to this company for DEF, and im not happy with it at all” -

Me: oh yeah all that s*** is garbage, you should rip it all out

Them: shocked pikachu face

Best lessons learned are the ones you mess up yourself sometimes. 🤣

Not taking advice is extremely common though, happens to me all the time.

I’m rooting for @jason2323, anyone who’s willing to clean up some rust to preserve another cruiser is doing a good thing in my book, just wanted to warn him of what he could possibly be getting into. Rust isn’t fun in my book and the frustration it can cause is mind blowing. It will all but weld some fasteners together and bushings sometimes wont come out with a small press.

I specialize in things most people don’t want any part of but I have a system for the jobs I attack. I’m sure some of the handy wrenchers that work on rust buckets have their ways as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom