Too Hot! help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know.. there are some odd bits about my rig. Sometimes it's like a 72 and sometimes a 74. No booster, no overflow tank- I JUST installed the dual brake master- it was a single before. The bypass was always like that, only recently has it become so incredibly hot so quickly. I have made a list of all your comments and suggestions. The engine block may well be gunked up. perhaps seals and gaskets deteriorated as well. Hopefully I can get in to the mechanico next week! I'll keep you all posted! Again, mil gracias for all your help!

Take some time and completely seal off your firewall so that it’s as airtight as possible. Even small gaps around your harness will make a difference.

Have you checked the fan clutch? If it is weak it won’t go to work when needed. Also, was the thermostat put in correctly, using the proper gaskets?
I will check the fan clutch out tomorrow, - how can I tell if it's not good?
as for the thermostat... I will look at that also! thank you! : )

no radiator overflow reservoir ?

My USA spec Jan '73 has no overflow, either, and the radiator cap 'drain' hose is identical to Ggodard's arrangement.

Everything mentioned above, plus:

Another thing to check would be fan orientation (metal fan, bolted directly to water pump, blades should curve towards the engine)

Radiator fins plugged with mud, missing, or thinned out from corrosion? (Your engine bay looks a little 'dirty'. :hmm:

Timing, definitely an issue if it's retarded and/or the mechanical advance mechanism isn't working. Exhaust gas gets so hot it will burn exhaust valves.

My USA spec Jan '73 has no overflow, either, and the radiator cap 'drain' hose is identical to Ggodard's arrangement.

Another thing to check would be fan orientation (metal fan, bolted directly to water pump, blades should curve towards the engine)

Radiator fins plugged with mud, missing, or thinned out from corrosion? (Your engine bay looks a little 'dirty'. :hmm:

Timing, definitely an issue if it's retarded and/or the mechanical advance mechanism isn't working. Exhaust gas gets so hot it will burn exhaust valves.
Thank you .. I'm going to check this out as soon as possible..... thank you!!!!

my '72 didn't have an overflow bottle, either, so I installed one

I read this, as you are more concerned with the heat inside the cabin than with the engine temperature...is this right? If so, check on how the exhaust pipe is routed under the tub. You might get away with something as simple as a wrap around the pipe as it runs under your tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom