Tojo 64 resto mod build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hard core stuff here. Splitting a frame. Wow. This would be what you call the extra mile.

I was more or less just fiddling around with the rear box plate.

I have a rear cross member and brackets being produced now. Local metal working shop said they would do the two brackets and member for $200. Figured I should stay local instead of ordering elsewhere. Good price compared to what I found online.

I personally wouldn't box it until the rear is installed. The extra regidity provided from that will be helpful and assist in preventing any twist of the frame rails.

Hard core stuff here. Splitting a frame. Wow. This would be what you call the extra mile.
I get a little carried away at times. Haha.

Some would say splitting the frame is a waste of time for a daily/light wheeler but I couldn't allow myself to leave it be. The thought of that rust coming back to haunt me down the road was enough to push me in this direction.

With that comment you need to get an Aquala tub.

I've been debating that! I can't weld aluminum though and I know I'll be wanting to move rear wheel wells back. I might be able to convince an old employee who was a welder for me to do it. I have some time though before I'm ready for that.

Last edited:
Made some progress today. Received my 4x4 labs Saginaw plate kit. Pleased with it upon initial inspection. Very complete kit with accurate dimensionality and good fitment.

Starting with passenger side. Cleaned up scale on backsides of plates and applied Eastwood weld through primer.

Then cleaned up all the weldment locations on the frame and applied primer.

An extra hand would be nice as initial fitment is a pain to hold the plates to the frame and tighten c clamps.

Advice so far... take your time it's not rocket science. But seriously... make sure your frame rails are straight and square prior to touching the kit. Also, mark and install the threaded inserts prior to tacking in the inner frame plate. I just see it as being easier to access and install them.

Still trying to determine exactly how they go in. I'll post picture tomorrow and hope for advice.

I had to stop today due to running out of co2. :-( new bottle tomorrow and a 3" hole saw bit and I'll be back at it.

Also, the welds are sure to improve. I hope. I haven't welded since a bumper I built three years ago. All in all I might have 40 hours mig welding experience. Penetration looks good at this point so I'm not too worried. Tip here... turn down the radio. Hearing the weld seemed to be more helpful than I thought. Consistent buzz is key. I think. Haha

IMG_7905.JPG

IMG_7906.JPG

IMG_7907.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

Question of the day is in regards to these inserts. Do I cut the shape of the flange and burn in or do I drill out the hole and weld on the backside. I'm leaning towards just drilling out the hole and welding on the backside like a capture but due to more strength

IMG_7909.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG

Got the passenger side completed. Like others had to cut a small piece of 1/4" to fully box the front.

Pretty disappointed with my welds around the vin window. I didn't position myself well to make long comfortable passes. I will get better with time.

IMG_7911.JPG

IMG_7913.JPG

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

Question of the day is in regards to these inserts. Do I cut the shape of the flange and burn in or do I drill out the hole and weld on the backside. I'm leaning towards just drilling out the hole and welding on the backside like a capture but due to more strength

View attachment 1443989

View attachment 1443990

Drill two more holes around the large hole (top/bottom based on how you have it in your pics). Put the flange in from the back and put a rosette weld in each hole. That will be plenty strong to hold it in place.

Brother updated me today with some pictures. Motor is being built. Bored out .040" today.

Can't wait to get it back to start engine mounts.

Any recommendations on who to go with for mounts? So many options out there

IMG_7947.JPG

IMG_7948.JPG

A little more progress on the motor.

Also picked up my rear frame cross member and brackets. For less than $200 I'd say well worth it.

I need to cut out some rust on the rear of the frame before moving forward. I suppose that's next until I get a sag box to complete front frame boxing.

IMG_7958.JPG

IMG_7959.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

IMG_7962.JPG

For the rear frame cross member and brackets drilled out and fitted. Now working on the support section.

I could have had new factory style made but this was cheaper and more enjoyable.

Used 1/8" wall 1-1/2"x3" tube and 1/4" plate. Going to use tubing to sleeve the frame mount points.

IMG_7976.JPG

IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

Does anyone think I should add this piece of 1/4" stock? Necessary or just for added benefit?

I over built my Tacoma rear bumper. At least that's what I thought at the time. But was very happy I did when I pulled an f350 out of the sand at the beach. Granted this isn't the actual bumper I plan to run on this.

IMG_7995.JPG

IMG_7998.JPG

IMG_7999.JPG

IMG_7986.JPG

Also need to determine how many of these holes are necessary on the new member. Seems excessive.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Does anyone think I should add this piece of 1/4" stock? Necessary or just for added benefit?

I over built my Tacoma rear bumper. At least that's what I thought at the time. But was very happy I did when I pulled an f350 out of the sand at the beach. Granted this isn't the actual bumper I plan to run on this.

View attachment 1452342

View attachment 1452343

View attachment 1452347

View attachment 1452348
I think those braces will be nice to have. I think hole wise it depends on what tail lights and bumper you will use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom