Tojo 64 resto mod build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The factory angled braces didn't get riveted to the top and bottom of the rear member so I'm thinking they aren't necessary. So I'll go ahead and add them. :) what's two beers and $3.00 worth of barstock matter at this point anyway. Ha.

I'm going to run a custom bumper that I build. As far as rear lights I'd like to keep them stockish. I believe for my year that is the 4-1/2" lights that mount to the sides of the rear cross member. I'll need to see if this is feasible for a reasonable price. I know for sure I didn't want to do the lights that are cut into the rear member; like the 74' I have. Small identifying factors are important to me for no particular reason at all. Haha.

I think those braces will be nice to have. I think hole wise it depends on what tail lights and bumper you will use.

I would look into advanced adapters for your motor mounts and v8 conversion stuff.
For less than $200 shipped advanced seems to be a great option. Thank you for the recommendation!!

My uncle sold me the xfer case adapter along with some other goodies when I was seeking his advice. He sold me on the sm420/aa adapter/3spdxfer. Ratios are good and price was even better. Shipped via fastenal from California. Highly recommend fastenal if available.

Last edited:
Very cool to see your progress. Always impressed by the speed at which people bring these together. On the welds you posted earlier, I think they look cold. I'm not an expert. Dial up the heat a little on the next set and you should see better penetration and welds that settle evenly into the fillet.

Very cool to see your progress. Always impressed by the speed at which people bring these together. On the welds you posted earlier, I think they look cold. I'm not an expert. Dial up the heat a little on the next set and you should see better penetration and welds that settle evenly into the fillet.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely give it a shot.

It’s been six months since working on the project. I need a serious revitalization to this project. Maybe spending some time back here on mud will give me some motivation.

You have bitten off a huge project. Frame off can be a awful lot of work. Just did a quick read of your thread, if you take the time as you did on your frame as you do all the other components you won't ever finish. So simplify it. No shame in doing so. I recommend keeping it simple and get it on the road. Slap a full aqualu tub on the frame, do a simple suspension setup-stick with a simple spring under or spring over suspension. Looks like you have a v8 so go simple with that as well. Put the aqualu on first, then bolt on the axles. Once it resembles a rig it will go easier. If u want to stretch the wheelbase a little u can get a tub with the wheel cutout I used which allows you to use either flipped rear fj40 Springs or fj60 rear springs. The old tub of you still have it is worth some money to people on here. That's my advice with the little I read about your build.

It’s been six months since working on the project. I need a serious revitalization to this project. Maybe spending some time back here on mud will give me some motivation.

White stripe thank you for the words of wisdom! I tend to get too particular about things which draws out projects.

I already have fj62 front and rear axles, springs and a shackle reversal kit/spring outboarding. Should I wait to get the tub on before installing? If i go with the 60 rear spring how far back will it move my axle? I would need to know this before ordering up a tub.

Planning on keeping the firewall from the original tub. Think anyone would be interested in the 3/4? It will surely fold in half once the firewall is removed since the rear sill is non existent.

You have bitten off a huge project. Frame off can be a awful lot of work. Just did a quick read of your thread, if you take the time as you did on your frame as you do all the other components you won't ever finish. So simplify it. No shame in doing so. I recommend keeping it simple and get it on the road. Slap a full aqualu tub on the frame, do a simple suspension setup-stick with a simple spring under or spring over suspension. Looks like you have a v8 so go simple with that as well. Put the aqualu on first, then bolt on the axles. Once it resembles a rig it will go easier. If u want to stretch the wheelbase a little u can get a tub with the wheel cutout I used which allows you to use either flipped rear fj40 Springs or fj60 rear springs. The old tub of you still have it is worth some money to people on here. That's my advice with the little I read about your build.

White stripe thank you for the words of wisdom! I tend to get too particular about things which draws out projects.

I already have fj62 front and rear axles, springs and a shackle reversal kit/spring outboarding. Should I wait to get the tub on before installing? If i go with the 60 rear spring how far back will it move my axle? I would need to know this before ordering up a tub.

Planning on keeping the firewall from the original tub. Think anyone would be interested in the 3/4? It will surely fold in half once the firewall is removed since the rear sill is non existent.

If you weld on spring perches on the axle with the 3 holes that trail gear and Marlin crawler sell that gives u lots of wheelbase options. Using those perches on my FJ 60 rear springs I can go as little as a 1.5" wheelbase stretch or the middle hole gives 2.5" and the 3rd hole to 3.5". If I flip the springs backward which is how they are now I can have 4",5",or 6" stretch. Right now I'm at 4". My rear wheel cutout I had aqualu cut is a bit smaller than a bushwacker flare. Meaning I can slide the flare forward or back an inch. (from the outside it's not really noticeable. So with my cutout I can set it to 4 or 5" wheelbase stretch. Once you go past 6" you start getting into comp cut territory if u don't use flares. If u use flares they will only fit the quarter up to a 5" stretch. If u like my setup, pm me and I can give u info to order a aqualu with a cutout like mine. I would mount the axles after the tub is somewhat mocked up so u can cycle the suspension and check for body to tire clearance.
You could also put some cardboard on your current tub quarter panel and see what u want to do for a stretch, then order accordingly. Personally, to keep it simple I would recommend a 4 or 5" stretch in the rear. The wheel opening I had them make on my aqualu would look fine without the flares, but would need some 40" tires to fill the cutout proportionately. With the flares 35s or 37s look good.

If you weld on spring perches on the axle with the 3 holes that trail gear and Marlin crawler sell that gives u lots of wheelbase options. Using those perches on my FJ 60 rear springs I can go as little as a 1.5" wheelbase stretch or the middle hole gives 2.5" and the 3rd hole to 3.5". If I flip the springs backward which is how they are now I can have 4",5",or 6" stretch. Right now I'm at 4". My rear wheel cutout I had aqualu cut is a bit smaller than a bushwacker flare. Meaning I can slide the flare forward or back an inch. (from the outside it's not really noticeable. So with my cutout I can set it to 4 or 5" wheelbase stretch. Once you go past 6" you start getting into comp cut territory if u don't use flares. If u use flares they will only fit the quarter up to a 5" stretch. If u like my setup, pm me and I can give u info to order a aqualu with a cutout like mine. I would mount the axles after the tub is somewhat mocked up so u can cycle the suspension and check for body to tire clearance.
You could also put some cardboard on your current tub quarter panel and see what u want to do for a stretch, then order accordingly. Personally, to keep it simple I would recommend a 4 or 5" stretch in the rear. The wheel opening I had them make on my aqualu would look fine without the flares, but would need some 40" tires to fill the cutout proportionately. With the flares 35s or 37s look good.

This is all really good advise for a crawler. Premise: don't let the tub dictate the limitations of the axle/frame/ wheelbase you're after. However...if you know you're likely to end up having to mod, I'd rather be cutting and welding on a steel tub than the aluminum. @a77fj40 has a steel tub for a decent price that should be compatible and save you having to graft your firewall.

I’m thinking I should place my old tub back on for mock up. Get perches relatively close and tack. Then take measurements to decide what to due with the tub. Looking at it, the factory tub looks like it will take a ton of work and a skill set i haven’t proven to myself I’m capable of yet. I know that i don’t want to make this a wheeler but a capable daily driver with 35-37” tires.

Still lots to decide i suppose. I’ll pm you more info on the tub if i go that route!!

This is all really good advise for a crawler. Premise: don't let the tub dictate the limitations of the axle/frame/ wheelbase you're after. However...if you know you're likely to end up having to mod, I'd rather be cutting and welding on a steel tub than the aluminum. @a77fj40 has a steel tub for a decent price that should be compatible and save you having to graft your firewall.

You reminded me that i need to send you the manifold and bolts. Pm me your address and I’ll have my wife ship this week.

I’m thinking I should place my old tub back on for mock up. Get perches relatively close and tack. Then take measurements to decide what to due with the tub. Looking at it, the factory tub looks like it will take a ton of work and a skill set i haven’t proven to myself I’m capable of yet. I know that i don’t want to make this a wheeler but a capable daily driver with 35-37” tires.

Still lots to decide i suppose. I’ll pm you more info on the tub if i go that route!!

You reminded me that i need to send you the manifold and bolts. Pm me your address and I’ll have my wife ship this week.
Sounds like a plan. I wrote down what I needed to do and what order. Then I made myself a schedule as to when to do what. This allowed me to know when I needed to order what, know exactly what I was doing, kept me focused, and greatly sped up the build. Maybe something similar will help you.

I’m thinking I should place my old tub back on for mock up. (Edit)

There's a link to my address in my sig line on all 20,000 posts. No PM required. Thanks for remembering.:)

Thanks Mark. Yes the tub is still available. I can send pics if interested.

Mark, shiipped the manifold, the manifold to block bolts, washers, retainers and nuts today. I’ll give you a call late next week once you’ve taken receipt. $40 just in shipping. fml. Glad we could work something out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom