Thoughts on this 1990 Japanese import? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sando Serious

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

This popped up on Craigslist and I’m thinking of looking at it in the next couple of days.

1990 Land Cruiser VX. Has the 4.0, triple locked, 82k miles. Seller imported it about 6 months ago or so. I’m pretty familiar with what the prices are currently and what 80 series are going for in the US, but not too familiar with this.

Seller said it’s been looked over by a mechanic, but not sure everything that entailed. Thoughts?

Its a nice looking cruiser but I'm having a hard time with $16,800, for RHD and the 3FE.

I like the factory winch option, rear swingout, diff lockers and cloth interior though.

If it was LHD with the 1FZ-FE then it would be a lot more interesting. If I had to make a sacrifice like RHD I'd at least want a diesel or something that wasn't offered here to make up for it.

I would say $16k is a bit high for what it is. Depends on what you want to do with it. Overland build? Probably not with a 3FE. Weekend 2nd/3rd vehicle? Sure. Unless PMs are done plan on doing on doing another $2-3k PM as the miles grow. I would say $13k is more in line if maintenance can not be verified.

You can get a nice 3locked 1FZ with more miles and good PM for less than $16k.

Thanks all. Yeah this would be more along the lines of just a 2nd vehicle, light trails on weekends, stuff like that.

Had no idea what prices were like on these or what they bring, so the responses are helpful. Thanks.

Hey all,

This popped up on Craigslist and I’m thinking of looking at it in the next couple of days.

1990 Land Cruiser VX. Has the 4.0, triple locked, 82k miles. Seller imported it about 6 months ago or so. I’m pretty familiar with what the prices are currently and what 80 series are going for in the US, but not too familiar with this.

Seller said it’s been looked over by a mechanic, but not sure everything that entailed. Thoughts?

Unless your dying to drive on the wrong side you can do better close by and get a 4.5 JMO

Sheesh - 81k on the ticker and lockers? And that’s a beautiful truck. And so what if it’s a 3fe? I seem to find myself always wanting to drive my 3fe versus my 4.6 v8. RHD would be a bit of a PITA, otherwise what’s not to love?

3fe vs 1fz-fe. Really really gutless vs really gutless. Neither of them can hardly get out of there own way.....

That is one clean looking rig, what kind of driving and use do you want an 80 for?

Its a 3F, not a 3FE. Gotta figure a carbed 3F behind an automatic would be pretty sluggish.

Its a 3F, not a 3FE. Gotta figure a carbed 3F behind an automatic would be pretty sluggish.
Good catch, really really really gutless.

3fe vs 1fz-fe. Really really gutless vs really gutless. Neither of them can hardly get out of there own way.....

That is one clean looking rig, what kind of driving and use do you want an 80 for?

Recently sold my Tundra and thought I’d be able to get by using my FJ40 to get around here and there, which I can, but it’s not ideal. Finally decided that with three kids I need something more practical for running around town, but I’d also be going on some light trails in Arizona. Nothing too crazy. I’d also be towing an enclosed trailer here and there (nothing more than 3,500 pounds probably).

I’ve had a few FJ40s and had a 100 series a couple of years ago. I’ve always like the 80 series and thought it’d be a good option to explore. Doesn’t sound like the 3F is a great option for what I need.

Recently sold my Tundra and thought I’d be able to get by using my FJ40 to get around here and there, which I can, but it’s not ideal. Finally decided that with three kids I need something more practical for running around town, but I’d also be going on some light trails in Arizona. Nothing too crazy. I’d also be towing an enclosed trailer here and there (nothing more than 3,500 pounds probably).

I’ve had a few FJ40s and had a 100 series a couple of years ago. I’ve always like the 80 series and thought it’d be a good option to explore. Doesn’t sound like the 3F is a great option for what I need.
Yeah, better than the 40, but probably not gonna be much fun performance wise (especially when towing).

Well if your used to driving a 40 than I think you would be happy with a 3f 80 series.

You better verify that it truly has lockers on F/R differentials. Someone may have just added a beauty switch. Not kidding.

Carb 3F and RHD equals a big no thank you in my book. The engine alone would be a no-go for me. Carb parts not available in US, probably lots of little things different that will make maintenance a hassle and less power than a 3fe to boot.

If you've got $16k to burn, why not just buy an American market 80 (preferably 1FZ) and save the headache? They're available in good condition at that price.

Last edited:
I would pass. RHD and carbureted 3F are too much at $16k. You can get a decent NAS 80 with the 1FZ-FE for a similar price in good condition. Granted, more miles but still it's gonna be easier to live with

Why not take a look at this one, left hand drive and diesel

I doubt a JDM VX Limited has a 3F. It's more likely the person who wrote the add didn't add the -E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom