thoughts 3fe cooling system (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run 15K in a blue hub fan clutch. We are subject to the same Texas Heat (except its more humid where I am).

Drain out the old fan clutch (let it drain overnight) and roughly measure the amount. Replace with the same amount of new fluid. One bottle should be more than enough.

You'll get that 'start up' roar again and the fan clutch will be more aggressive....but not overly so IMO.

Be careful not to damage the O-ring seal on the fan clutch....you will be reusing it.

I'm thinking new (working) T-stat and modified fan clutch will put you back in good shape.

Clearly you are a capable person with respect to mechanics, so should be easy for you.
Alright so I ordered some 15k for the mod the clutch i took apart yesterday let drain overnight and basically nothing came out this one was dry doesnt even look like there was alot in there to begin with so not sure how much to put back in…

2nd I drained fluid installed thermostat back in filled it back up got air out of system 2 things I noticed
1. Before start spun the fan and it was very easy to
Turn.
2. When started there was no roar at all and this time I couldnt get the fan to speed up and of course temp got hot again… So i now believe the fan is the issue..

I have bought three Aisin 049 fans in the past year and they have all failed within a few months any ideas why or maybe just crappy batch or something? Or amazon who I purchased them from?

I am a diesel tech by trade but this one is throwing me for a loop…

I have had bad luck with CSF copper/brass unit on my 92 as well. Switched to Alum. and i noticed a good 15 F drop in avg. temp. I would avoid CSF if possible.
Ive had both and ho estly when its working didnt notice much of a difference..

FWIW, my "running fine" LX450 will get to 205* F on the OBD2 readout pretty quickly. From what I have searched (you can do some too, if you are so inclined!) around 200* operating temp is not uncommon running temp on these. I do have a 1FZ, just thought about that. I wouldn't think the 3FE would be much different but I am not as familiar with them.
Like I said 200deg is where I stopped when I was testing in driveway but when driving the cruiser it gets into the red which is not normal…. I dont need to search that to find the answer pretty obvious. Not intended as a insult or anything jist reiterating

The thermostat should be installed as shown below and must have the O-ring on top of the stat.
Thermostat 90916-03052
O-ring 90430-43002
Gasket 16341-61030

View attachment 3581640
Thanks John that is how I had it installed..

I do believe its the fan causing this issue now. See above comment for details maybe you might know why these fan clutches keep failing on me?

Alright so I ordered some 15k for the mod the clutch i took apart yesterday let drain overnight and basically nothing came out this one was dry doesnt even look like there was alot in there to begin with so not sure how much to put back in…

2nd I drained fluid installed thermostat back in filled it back up got air out of system 2 things I noticed
1. Before start spun the fan and it was very easy to
Turn.
2. When started there was no roar at all and this time I couldnt get the fan to speed up and of course temp got hot again… So i now believe the fan is the issue..

I have bought three Aisin 049 fans in the past year and they have all failed within a few months any ideas why or maybe just crappy batch or something? Or amazon who I purchased them from?

I am a diesel tech by trade but this one is throwing me for a loop…

Fan clutch issue then (at least). Pretty confident a 'modded' fan clutch will help (if not solve) your overheating problem.

Just fill the clutch until the fluid comes up flush with the openings (slots/holes). It probably won't take the entire 52ml and the stuff is thick...so give it time to settle. Procedure should be similar to the mod for a blue hub clutch so you can 'search' that for info/instruction.

Why three have failed is anyone's guess. Bad batch is possible. 'Counterfeit' units also get peddled on Amazon/Ebay regularly.

In any case, I believe you are on the right track now. And being a diesel tech means you have more than a rudimentary understanding of how/why things work. Walk in the park...once you get your parts.

Fan clutch issue then (at least). Pretty confident a 'modded' fan clutch will help (if not solve) your overheating problem.

Just fill the clutch until the fluid comes up flush with the openings (slots/holes). It probably won't take the entire 52ml and the stuff is thick...so give it time to settle. Procedure should be similar to the mod for a blue hub clutch so you can 'search' that for info/instruction.

Why three have failed is anyone's guess. Bad batch is possible. 'Counterfeit' units also get peddled on Amazon/Ebay regularly.

In any case, I believe you are on the right track now. And being a diesel tech means you have more than a rudimentary understanding of how/why things work. Walk in the park...once you get your parts.
sounds good should have the fluid tomorrow so will hopefully get it all back together this weekend and see what happens..

I really do appreciate your time and advice sometimes I second guess myself or overthink it especially since the parts are so new but guess I need to remember todays parts are not like they used to be… Sad to say…

Thanks again ill post the results as soon as I get her all back together

I agree that being in the red is not normal, and take no offense to what you said. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out. I'm a Toyota tech, and even having experience in this field can sometimes make you second guess your own diagnosis when it comes to your personal vehicle. You sound like you're on the right track.

I agree that being in the red is not normal, and take no offense to what you said. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out. I'm a Toyota tech, and even having experience in this field can sometimes make you second guess your own diagnosis when it comes to your personal vehicle. You sound like you're on the right track.
Thanks put a different fan clutch on while i am working on changing the fluid on the other fan clutch and this one as well does not roar when started however took it for a little drive and it did not overheat but still dont think Its right…
Should have the mod fan clutch back together tomorrow and installed with new thermostat so hopefully itll be fixed.

Latest update
1.Today installed new thermostat 180deg new seal as well
2. Installed mod green aisin fan clutch spinning it by hand when cold noticed quite a bit more resistance then the one I took off ( good thing)
3. Filled system with just water ( incase I have to drain system again) for testing to make sure all is good.

once back together cooling system filled started cruiser and fan did not have the roar like it should, however the air flow is much more noticeable. Ran it in driveway for about 20 minutes trying to get it to overheat temp stayed below 180deg definitely a huge inprovement

Decided to take the chance and threw fishing poles and stuff drove out to one of my fishing spots on Lake travis about a 30 miles round trip with most of the trip around 45mph windy hill country road with a couple steep hill climbs longest 1/4 mile or so. The way out there temp never got above 180deg seems to be working good no issues, got to spot fished for an hour or so ( 7 black bass 1-3lb not to bad) started heading home temps stayed at 180deg got to last hill got to top and sat temp was right around 190-195 or so after a couple miles it lowered back down to 180ish.

Definately much better but am still concerned the fan isnt working as should. So swapped it out with a brand new one I had ordered just in case. Roar at startup was about the same. Test drove again with similar results…

Not sure why the fan is not roaring like I remember it soinding. Not sure what else ot could be… rechecked timing, and ran through a quick tune up checking ICV, TPS, and AFM per the FSM all checked out good.

Any thought? Guess ill make sure system has no air bubbles again take her for another spin tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone

@TOYTACO11 , Install the fan clutch, take it for a ride. Come home and let it sit overnight then see what happens on the next startup in the morning.

@TOYTACO11 , Install the fan clutch, take it for a ride. Come home and let it sit overnight then see what happens on the next startup in the morning.
Thanks fan is installed test drove and now waiting till tomorrow will give her a test drive again

Thanks fan is installed test drove and now waiting till tomorrow will give her a test drive again

Give it another test drive. Sounds like a definite improvement. If you went out 1431 then that was a pretty good test, pretty good hills (out to Jonestown anyway). I wouldn't be alarmed to see 190-195° F on that jaunt.

My 'modded' fan clutch (now several years old) doesn't really 'roar' upon start up any longer but does move a LOT more air than the OEM configuration. IF your coolant temps recede/recover rapidly after the engine 'load' is reduced (after climbing hills or speed is reduced) then I'd say its acting pretty normal.

Remember, our little inline sixes (especially with some age and miles) are pretty anemic for the weight of these vehicles. They have good torque (right off the line) but that's about it. An extended drive (maybe over to Georgetown or a nice drive out to Marble Falls) would tell the tale. Use your A/C and see what happens there.

speed limit sign.png

Thanks for the update. P.S. you did good on the bass....with the lake being down.

Give it another test drive. Sounds like a definite improvement. If you went out 1431 then that was a pretty good test, pretty good hills (out to Jonestown anyway). I wouldn't be alarmed to see 190-195° F on that jaunt.

My 'modded' fan clutch (now several years old) doesn't really 'roar' upon start up any longer but does move a LOT more air than the OEM configuration. IF your coolant temps recede/recover rapidly after the engine 'load' is reduced (after climbing hills or speed is reduced) then I'd say its acting pretty normal.

Remember, our little inline sixes (especially with some age and miles) are pretty anemic for the weight of these vehicles. They have good torque (right off the line) but that's about it. An extended drive (maybe over to Georgetown or a nice drive out to Marble Falls) would tell the tale. Use your A/C and see what happens there.

View attachment 3583977

Thanks for the update. P.S. you did good on the bass....with the lake being down.
Yep you must be familiar with the area I live off of 1431 just before jonestown.
Did the drive again this morning (1431 to marble falls and back) didnt have AC on but this time it did not even budge off of 180deg I think its safe to say it is working properly again hope It lasts this time…

Yes the 3fe is not the fastest as I dont need to go fast neway she is still fairly low miles and doesnt do to bad cruising at 75 on 35’s with 4.88’s… Im happy with it for now if the 3fe ever does give out on me or I cant get parts then it will be v8 time for sure until then Im good at the back of the line…

I do appreciate all your help as well as everyone else that chimed in.

Yep you must be familiar with the area I live off of 1431 just before jonestown.
Did the drive again this morning (1431 to marble falls and back) didnt have AC on but this time it did not even budge off of 180deg I think its safe to say it is working properly again hope It lasts this time…

Yes the 3fe is not the fastest as I dont need to go fast neway she is still fairly low miles and doesnt do to bad cruising at 75 on 35’s with 4.88’s… Im happy with it for now if the 3fe ever does give out on me or I cant get parts then it will be v8 time for sure until then Im good at the back of the line…

I do appreciate all your help as well as everyone else that chimed in.

Grew up in Austin and went to school there. We always had a Lake House in Lago Vista, so spent a lot of my youth on Lake Travis and exploring all of Central Texas/Hill Country.

Moved away in the mid 80's after marrying...but all my family still live in Austin (out at the lake).

Don't care for what Austin has turned into, but thankfully don't have to go there much. Will be at the Lake in April to see the Eclipse and visit family and friends. Then its back behind 'the Pine Curtain' for me.

Glad you got everything sorted out. Wish you the best. Flint.

Grew up in Austin and went to school there. We always had a Lake House in Lago Vista, so spent a lot of my youth on Lake Travis and exploring all of Central Texas/Hill Country.

Moved away in the mid 80's after marrying...but all my family still live in Austin (out at the lake).

Don't care for what Austin has turned into, but thankfully don't have to go there much. Will be at the Lake in April to see the Eclipse and visit family and friends. Then its back behind 'the Pine Curtain' for me.

Glad you got everything sorted out. Wish you the best. Flint.
Small world and i feel the same way about Austin my self it turned south real fast. I stay away from there.

Lago vista I know it pretty good go fishing out that way quite often. Just if I knew someone that has access to a boat ramp out that way I would be set… as there about the only ones still open…

Pine curtain Im heading to colorado Friday to spend a little times hitting the slopes before the season ends and maybe do a little fly fishing for some trout.

Thanks again, Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom