Thought on pricing for this Specimen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this listing of a LC 80 series in Portland and it seems really clean, stock in the inside and interior really good condition. The exterior has some Normal ware & tear, but it seems really clean overall, but i'm still shocked about how much they are asking for it. I was looking for som feedback around the condition to price & milage or anything else to look out for based upon the images.

Really appreciate the feedback!

https://www.rstmotors.com/inventory/toyota/land-cruiser/150758 r/

For that sort of money I would to see receipts for replacement OEM suspension components (bushings, shocks etc), cooling system components (hoses, radiator etc) Ignition system components (HT leads, plugs, vacuum lines, intake tube, egr etc.). I would also want a full service history showing every oil change and it better not leak or burn a drop.

That’s a rare bird these days 1 owner before the dealer and low miles(not always a positive). Looks pretty good and I’m sure you could
Beat them up a couple grand they probable bought it from a wholesaler that took it in on trade. If you’re a serious buyer I might be around that area this week and could take a quick look. I’m very well versed in 80’s. Have one I’m getting ready to post after I fix a few quirks.

$27k? That radiator is on it's last leg and center console are discolored or stained seat covers look repaired. I'm no 80 expert but the obvious is staring at you IMHO.

The low resolution video doesn't help. One of the photos (rear hatch) appears to show paint with more "orange peel" than the original factory paint, so you'll want to check the paint closely for signs of previous damage/repairs, respray, etc. It might be worthwhile to invest in a digital paint thickness gauge (cheapos cost ~$50).

Steering wheel looks like it's been been recovered.

Best way to determine value is to check it out in person with someone who knows these vehicles. Used car lots don't have a clue what to look for in this model, they're mostly interested in making it look shiny. Head gasket would be my number one mechanical concern (has it been replaced, has anyone dumped sealer into the cooling system)??

For that sort of money I would to see receipts for replacement OEM suspension components (bushings, shocks etc), cooling system components (hoses, radiator etc) Ignition system components (HT leads, plugs, vacuum lines, intake tube, egr etc.). I would also want a full service history showing every oil change and it better not leak or burn a drop.
I'm going to contact the dealer today and see if they have any physical records on the truck. Thank you for the support.

They aren’t far off with how low the miles are. Check out bring a trailer or other auction sites and some with 200k miles are going for over $30k
I know... I'm just looking for the divide in the price vs. condition. The proof is in the pudding and the comps seem to validate the asking price. Thank you.

That’s a rare bird these days 1 owner before the dealer and low miles(not always a positive). Looks pretty good and I’m sure you could
Beat them up a couple grand they probable bought it from a wholesaler that took it in on trade. If you’re a serious buyer I might be around that area this week and could take a quick look. I’m very well versed in 80’s. Have one I’m getting ready to post after I fix a few quirks.
Wow! - I really appreciate your generosity! - And your feedback! I'm gonna reach out to the dealer today and see if I can get some more info out of them, and run a Carfax in it. I'm also interested in knowing more about the one you are prepping to sell. Maybe we can arrange an offline call to discuss further.

$27k? That radiator is on it's last leg and center console are discolored or stained seat covers look repaired. I'm no 80 expert but the obvious is staring at you IMHO.
I did notice the discoloring in the leathers. Also, almost every truck that I've seen the seats, center, and wheel are rarely in that good of condition. It very well could have been reupholstered or repaired in some way. Thank you for your feedback.

Rust... Cancer. Stage 4. No thanks. 10k tops

The low resolution video doesn't help. One of the photos (rear hatch) appears to show paint with more "orange peel" than the original factory paint, so you'll want to check the paint closely for signs of previous damage/repairs, respray, etc. It might be worthwhile to invest in a digital paint thickness gauge (cheapos cost ~$50).

Steering wheel looks like it's been been recovered.

Best way to determine value is to check it out in person with someone who knows these vehicles. Used car lots don't have a clue what to look for in this model, they're mostly interested in making it look shiny. Head gasket would be my number one mechanical concern (has it been replaced, has anyone dumped sealer into the cooling system)??
Good looking out! I"ll look closer into the texture of the orange peal and the paint. I was a bit suspicious of how honest the paint was too! Thanks for your feedback!

Rust... Cancer. Stage 4. No thanks. 10k tops
You think so? What lead you to that thought? I'm truly interested... The engine bay has been dealer detailed, but what normally would rust, seems to be surface at best. some of the pics show some surface rust EX: by the tow hitch and rear fender flairs, but I'm gonna see if I can get some more detailed pics from the dealer of the undercarriage. Is it the climate zone that raises the red flag for you?

You think so? What lead you to that thought? I'm truly interested... The engine bay has been dealer detailed, but what normally would rust, seems to be surface at best. some of the pics show some surface rust EX: by the tow hitch and rear fender flairs, but I'm gonna see if I can get some more detailed pics from the dealer of the undercarriage. Is it the climate zone that raises the red flag for
Wow! - I really appreciate your generosity! - And your feedback! I'm gonna reach out to the dealer today and see if I can get some more info out of them, and run a Carfax in it. I'm also interested in knowing more about the one you are prepping to sell. Maybe we can arrange an offline call to discuss further.
pm me if you wanna talk.

You think so? What lead you to that thought? I'm truly interested... The engine bay has been dealer detailed, but what normally would rust, seems to be surface at best. some of the pics show some surface rust EX: by the tow hitch and rear fender flairs, but I'm gonna see if I can get some more detailed pics from the dealer of the undercarriage. Is it the climate zone that raises the red flag for you?
Terrible pitting rust on hitch. Check vin. YMMV

Hello,

I looked the ad over and would agree with some of the previous comments. First, the asking price is subjective, if you think the money is well spent (which I would assume since you posted and that is a lean toward thinking the value to dollar is there) than it makes sense. $27,900 is strong but the market is crazy and if it truly is in the described condition it may not be far off. I would definitely have a buyers inspection performed prior to purchase.

Now, to highlight some of the things I took away from reviewing the photos, I cannot open the video here so that isn't part of the consideration.
- This looks to be what may be referred to as a poverty pack FZJ80 - not a bad thing. Reason being is there is no luggage rack or rear wing and the climate control is not auto. I view this as a plus since the luggage rack and rear wing can promote rust.
- The tires although being "dressed" and appearing good are old (date code looks to show they are over 10 years old) and I would deduct replacement from cost.
- Ad states rear differential has a lock but these did not come with that as an option, believe the ad to be incorrect unless there is an aftermarket unit installed.
- Could be whatever that aftermarket switch is on the dash to the left side of steering wheel? No aftermarket lights so...
- Wood trim on interior is degrading but that is replaceable it just takes a lot of time to remove, prep and install.
- Driver seat does look as though some work has been done (bolster seem looks to be re-sewn).
- Steering wheel has probably been recovered or replaced - center pad coloring doesn't match.
- Front bumper looks to be pushed in slightly but the gallery doesn't have any real good photos of the center section to verify.
- All the wheels look like the aluminum is flaking - if not to bad it is purely cosmetic.

Hope all works out for you and if you pick it up it would be cool to see some real pictures (not photo shopped) of the vehicle.

Last edited:
It's a k292 axle code so no locking diffs in the axles. The seller doesn't know the difference between the CDL (Center Diff Lock, which it has) and the Front/Rear locker option (which it doesn't have).

It's not a "Poverty Pack" as it has leather seat covers, electric windows/door locks, wood on the console, sunroof, extra speakers, alloy wheels, etc.

IIRC there were a few model variations that may have included some of those options (parts gurus would know), but the roof rack and rear dust/wind deflector were port or dealer installed items (not factory).

Not having the roof rack and dust deflector is considered by many to be a plus as the method of attachment (drilling holes in the sheetmetal and pushing in nutserts) is a known cause of rust.

FWIW

Last edited:
You should be shocked how much they are asking since its way too high. Sure its clean and shiny and looks pretty nice but if you are trying for almost $30k on an 80 series at least make sure all of the center caps are there and the radiator isn't obviously due for replacement.

The used car scene from 82nd ave in Portland is definitely not a place I'd be shopping for a cruiser (or any vehicle for that matter). It's a row of buy here pay here shady dealers. I bet there's an area just like it in LA somewhere.

If I was in the $25-30k market for an 80 series I'd start by looking at the classifieds here and find something much nicer, and more importantly with some maintenance records. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom