The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean you expect a MILF soccer mom in the 1990's to shift her $57K truck herself?

Yeah right.

Which is exactly my point! 95-97 are soccer Mom, Americanized SUVs.

You mean you expect a MILF soccer mom in the 1990's to shift her $57K truck herself?

Real MILFs know how to work a stick.

Otherwise, they's overpriced sammich wenches.

1HZ is still in production and is now the longest running Toyota engine in production. 1990-today. Amazing. And no signs of discontinuation as long as Africa and the Middle East continue to exist.
So does this mean that a partial engine assembly or a short block assembly is available to be ordered in the USA?
Stupid Colorado emissions.

Real MILFs know how to work a stick.

Otherwise, they's overpriced sammich wenches.
Please tell me that milf's haven't been discontinued. This thread really is getting depressing.

Can’t the same be obtained by manually shifting the transmission?

No.

If you just place your shifter in the 2nd location, it will still start out in 1st gear, then shift to 2nd, but not to 3rd.

If you push the 2nd button, the transmission will START in 2nd gear to reduce the amount of sudden torque at the wheels (think snow and ice in low range) when trying to claw your way out of a ditch without spinning a tire.

This is the "problem" with the 80 series. They're so robust that by the time major components like the engine and transmission need replacement the parts won't be available. If money were no object I'd put a new short block and A343f on the shelf for the far off distant future. But it doesn't make sense to do so with only 135k miles on my odo. With the 3-5k miles I put on my 80 every year it'll be 15+ years before I'd realistically need either one (knock on wood). Not that I think the 80 has the same caché of the 40 series (yet :cool:) but think if someone today had an OEM 2F short or long block on the shelf.

This is the "problem" with the 80 series. They're so robust that by the time major components like the engine and transmission need replacement the parts won't be available. If money were no object I'd put a new short block and A343f on the shelf for the far off distant future. But it doesn't make sense to do so with only 135k miles on my odo. With the 3-5k miles I put on my 80 every year it'll be 15+ years before I'd realistically need either one (knock on wood). Not that I think the 80 has the same caché of the 40 series (yet :cool:) but think if someone today had an OEM 2F short or long block on the shelf.

I totally see the mindset there. I bought a built trail truck the same year as mine. I'm glad I did. So, I have an extra 1992 drive train. I think if you buy the parts right you can stockpile and do so inexpensively. For instance my 3fe will need a rebuild but I'll wait until my newer 3fe starts to go...

I am wondering if we will see more adapter out there for these trucks. It will be interesting.

After reading 26 pages... I still want my 80.

It isn't the short block, head or trans you need to be worrying about. It is going to be the small electrical parts that get us. Climate control, window motors, locker actuators, ignition switches, harnesses, etc.

Oh and lets not forget the ECU's. They aren't going to last forever and once they start failing, they will become a hot commodity for people trying to keep 80's running. But unlike a valve job I think an ECU rebuild is a little more daunting considering the programs and chips are long gone I am sure.

Oh and lets not forget the ECU's. They aren't going to last forever and once they start failing, they will become a hot commodity for people trying to keep 80's running. But unlike a valve job I think an ECU rebuild is a little more daunting considering the programs and chips are long gone I am sure.

I'm sure Autozone will offer a high quality remanufactured ecu soon.

Not

It isn't the short block, head or trans you need to be worrying about. It is going to be the small electrical parts that get us. Climate control, window motors, locker actuators, ignition switches, harnesses, etc.

Some of these parts were used in other, more common, vehicles. Specifically window motors.

Which is why I have stock piled 2 spares for each 80 Series! Snag them at the junkyard for $30-40 each!

Like I said the biggest problem is even if you replaced and soldiered all new components the "program" is not replaceable. The Australia guys now have a plug and play replacement ECU from Haltech, but I doubt it would work for us.

I'm sure Autozone will offer a high quality remanufactured ecu soon.

Not

If enough s*** the bed then maybe Haltech or someone will come up with a solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom