Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And what an experience it would be at your age to go through such an extensive rebuild!
If you have the time and place it may be worth just for the knowledge you'll get.

Would be more doable than Roma's as his has a different flywheel setup than mine and also doesn't have a flywheel, so I'd have to find a 3bii flywheel. More doable from mechanical standpoint, not distance. I PM'd the guy and he said he'd prefer not parting out just the engine, we don't have any room here for just a frame sitting around.

Had a lot of people mention GoFundMe, not onlyfans yet haha!
Just FYI the 3BII also doesn't have the vacuum pump on the alternator and a few other differences , imho I would not waste time and money rebuilding a 3B but find a decent replacement to put in it for now on the cheap and start saving up for a better alternative like 1HZ ,1HDT (FT) ,Cummins R2.8 or even a LS swap . Even the 1HZ non turbo'd is struggling from time to time with a troopy so I would be on the lookout for some extra power in the long run.

First, owing a truck with an old 3B and questionable history myself: I feel with you. Keep the spirit up! Your adventures are stunning!

I think, you already (by heart) made the decision not to part with the Troopy. Very good. I wouldn't either.
But now you basically have two ways ahead:
1. Fix it cheap but suboptimal and with risk, and hope to get it done quick.
2. Make a plan what would be a feasible and sustainable solutions from a technical perspective. Wait for a good respective engine to show up & probably some funds to come in. Invest some time now, but eventually make it a sustainable and good solution.

An option showing up to do it quick, cheap and also good would imho be pure luck.
I wouldn't go for 'Now 3B and later something better ' either. It would imho eventually cost more (which you can't afford).
I would recommend to focus on #2.

Talk to your travel buddies. Make a plan together for saving the trip. It still can become a great one! But don't have this trip push you in a poor and risky and eventually expensive decision on the Troopy!
Make a plan for your daily ride at school; don't reckon on the Troopy. And if economical: Get a Prius, rattle can it red and put a sticker 'Should be a Troopy' on it...
I understood you have the support of your family and the resources to store the Troopy and work on it. Utilize this.
This brainstorming phase on the thread here is good to better understand options.
But once you make a clear statement what your preferred way ahead is, the forum community can focus on that and really help finding leads on respective engine/parts and give spot on technical advice.

[Concerning #1: That would be going 3B again, which, by common sense, is not a good solution.
You could get a trustable different one, or rebuild yours. Latter would be a job for an expert machine shop, though.
Still takes time and may cost quite a lot; that's why I suggest to rather go for #2.]
All the best and good luck
Ralf

😢 This is disheartening news indeed, and it can be devastating when thinking of all the plans you had for the summer. For now, put the trip out of your mind, and focus on making non-stressed choices for long term satisfaction in the long run with the troopy. But does this mean you won't be showing up at my place this summer now?? 🤔😯 Maybe. But it wouldn't be the first time that someone has had to postpone a trip for a year.

There is some great advice on the thread already, so I will not repeat whatever others have said. Try to chalk it up as an opportunity. Whether that is for more mechanical prowess and experience, or just plain ol' life lessons, there is value.

I suppose I could be called a glass half full, silver-lining, positive thinking person... but there is some wisdom in that. I am thankful you and anyone traveling with you is safe. You have your health, skillsets to deal with it, and family and friends to support you through this. (Not to mention the MUD family)

And if that is not enough to cheer you up, remember, it could always be WORSE!!

House falls into river near Yellowstone Nat'l Park - https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/house-falls-into-river-near-yellowstone-nat-l-park/vi-AAYqIsd?ocid=winp1taskbar

I look forward to reading up on how things come together for you again and seeing this rocket back on the trails! All the best! :cheers:

@theglobb …. “Had a lot of people mention GoFundMe”.
————————————————————————————

I would donate just to keep you out of a Prius. 😊
haha, thank you! Still, I don't feel right taking money from people who worked hard for it. I'm fortunate enough to be a 19-year-old in America who owns a troopy, soooooo extremely lucky, much more pressing matters out there that that money could help with. Sucks that my engine went but it could (and has) happened to anyone. Doesn't help that I'm probably the least financially stable owner of a troopy in the US haha.

This one of my favorite threads, Love all the adventure the Red Rocket gets into.
Just don't it would be the same in a Prius !!

That frame would not be to hard to cut up and sale for scrap !!
Its an honor! I love the adventures too, just hard to stomach right now that I might be out of them for 6-12 months in the red rocket.
Just FYI the 3BII also doesn't have the vacuum pump on the alternator and a few other differences , imho I would not waste time and money rebuilding a 3B but find a decent replacement to put in it for now on the cheap and start saving up for a better alternative like 1HZ ,1HDT (FT) ,Cummins R2.8 or even a LS swap . Even the 1HZ non turbo'd is struggling from time to time with a troopy so I would be on the lookout for some extra power in the long run.
Hadn't even thought of the vacuum pump. And yes, what you're saying is definitely a more reasonable view, just more effective in the long run.
First, owing a truck with an old 3B and questionable history myself: I feel with you. Keep the spirit up! Your adventures are stunning!

I think, you already (by heart) made the decision not to part with the Troopy. Very good. I wouldn't either.
But now you basically have two ways ahead:
1. Fix it cheap but suboptimal and with risk, and hope to get it done quick.
2. Make a plan what would be a feasible and sustainable solutions from a technical perspective. Wait for a good respective engine to show up & probably some funds to come in. Invest some time now, but eventually make it a sustainable and good solution.

An option showing up to do it quick, cheap and also good would imho be pure luck.
I wouldn't go for 'Now 3B and later something better ' either. It would imho eventually cost more (which you can't afford).
I would recommend to focus on #2.

Talk to your travel buddies. Make a plan together for saving the trip. It still can become a great one! But don't have this trip push you in a poor and risky and eventually expensive decision on the Troopy!
Make a plan for your daily ride at school; don't reckon on the Troopy. And if economical: Get a Prius, rattle can it red and put a sticker 'Should be a Troopy' on it...
I understood you have the support of your family and the resources to store the Troopy and work on it. Utilize this.
This brainstorming phase on the thread here is good to better understand options.
But once you make a clear statement what your preferred way ahead is, the forum community can focus on that and really help finding leads on respective engine/parts and give spot on technical advice.

[Concerning #1: That would be going 3B again, which, by common sense, is not a good solution.
You could get a trustable different one, or rebuild yours. Latter would be a job for an expert machine shop, though.
Still takes time and may cost quite a lot; that's why I suggest to rather go for #2.]
All the best and good luck
Ralf
Just like Joe, this is definitely a smarter approach. I really don't know anything about all the machining required that would go into this kind of machine work or how much it costs, just something I've never experienced before. Chances are it will be costly after looking just a bit into it, especially with the damage done internally.

I'm confident that I can do pretty much anything mechanically on these old cruisers given the right tools, a bit of time, and a lot of advice. Or a lot of time and a bit of advice 😄 but you're right, in the time that I'd be going through this engine I could be working to save up for a much better engine. And if I did rebuild it then a large chunk of my summer is gone and I'm stuck with a 3B, one that may last for a while yes, but still a 3B. This is the smarter route, just had hopes I could get it running for like $1500, not feasible.

😢 This is disheartening news indeed, and it can be devastating when thinking of all the plans you had for the summer. For now, put the trip out of your mind, and focus on making non-stressed choices for long term satisfaction in the long run with the troopy. But does this mean you won't be showing up at my place this summer now?? 🤔😯 Maybe. But it wouldn't be the first time that someone has had to postpone a trip for a year.

There is some great advice on the thread already, so I will not repeat whatever others have said. Try to chalk it up as an opportunity. Whether that is for more mechanical prowess and experience, or just plain ol' life lessons, there is value.

I suppose I could be called a glass half full, silver-lining, positive thinking person... but there is some wisdom in that. I am thankful you and anyone traveling with you is safe. You have your health, skillsets to deal with it, and family and friends to support you through this. (Not to mention the MUD family)

And if that is not enough to cheer you up, remember, it could always be WORSE!!

House falls into river near Yellowstone Nat'l Park - https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/house-falls-into-river-near-yellowstone-nat-l-park/vi-AAYqIsd?ocid=winp1taskbar

I look forward to reading up on how things come together for you again and seeing this rocket back on the trails! All the best! :cheers:
Thanks for the kind words and positivity. Pretty much everything about this has been pretty much worst scenario, started with a knock, might have to replace a bearing or 2, then BOOM crank done for. One thing I am VERY thankful for is that this happened now, not on the trip. It was gonna happen regardless of what I did, just very lucky it happened now. Whenever it moves again, it'll most likely be faster, better, and have quite a bit more value in it.

The Red Rocket has taken pretty much all of my earnings from the past 2 years of ownership, and obviously will continue to for many years to come. Don't regret any of it at all, just sucks that I had to remove the engine this soon under these circumstances.

1 year ago today it was in its absolute prime in Moab.

Tough choices for sure. I agree with not rebuilding a 3B mostly. It's going to need to be pulled, and sent to a machine shop, and I'm going to guess that head is going to have a lot of issues as well. And if anything else is tragically wrong, you could be sourcing a head or block. Precups etc.

My machine shop costs were almost $2,000. Just machine work and then putting pistons in raw block. :oops: Throw a rebuild kit on top of that you are probably around $1k more for aftermarket, and you still have to put it back together. Now your $3k into 90hp in a heavy troopy.

Slapping a new free crank and some bearings will probably buy you some time. Not sure I'd slap a crank and cross country, but heck you are 19. Adventure. If all looks good, measures out there really isn't any reason to NOT try this. I'd think waiting for that crank to show up is the perfect time to pull that head and take a look. If thats decent then try to patch her up and go.

If you can get that 13BT for a good price, thats an engine worth fixing/installing. You know it, you've seen it run so thats a huge positive. Aside from an identical 3B, that 13BT will be one of the easiest to put in. Otherwise keep an eye on engines that pop up and be ready to jump on one.

R2.8 = pretty sweet, but you are $10k minimum on this swap doing it yourself.
15BFTE - iF you can get a decent price from the guy in the classifieds along with a harness, that would be excellent. It's going to be work, but I'd much rather fight electronics world than install an R2.8. just me...

While I can’t offer any words of wisdom concerning your Summer plans, if by chance your Troopy isn’t ready by late September just ride to Windrock with your parents. I’ll make sure you have a ride. 😊

Other than the crank bearings and block, what are other parts of my engine that could've been damaged by the crank cracking?

Best case; the rod and main bearings are toast
Worst case? Depending on how loopy and out of balance the rotating assembly was; a rod or two could be tweaked, mains wallered out, cylinder walls scored, chunks of metal through the oiling system making it's way to the head and hosing all bearing surfaces.

I wouldn't waste time with that long block. Even having it inspected and machined isn't worth the trouble, in my opinion. Even if you did, at the end of the day you'd have another under-powered-for-a-troopy 3B that might snap a crank. For the price, you'd be better off re-powering it with another Toyota diesel.

Tough choices for sure. I agree with not rebuilding a 3B mostly. It's going to need to be pulled, and sent to a machine shop, and I'm going to guess that head is going to have a lot of issues as well. And if anything else is tragically wrong, you could be sourcing a head or block. Precups etc.

My machine shop costs were almost $2,000. Just machine work and then putting pistons in raw block. :oops: Throw a rebuild kit on top of that you are probably around $1k more for aftermarket, and you still have to put it back together. Now your $3k into 90hp in a heavy troopy.

Slapping a new free crank and some bearings will probably buy you some time. Not sure I'd slap a crank and cross country, but heck you are 19. Adventure. If all looks good, measures out there really isn't any reason to NOT try this. I'd think waiting for that crank to show up is the perfect time to pull that head and take a look. If thats decent then try to patch her up and go.

If you can get that 13BT for a good price, thats an engine worth fixing/installing. You know it, you've seen it run so thats a huge positive. Aside from an identical 3B, that 13BT will be one of the easiest to put in. Otherwise keep an eye on engines that pop up and be ready to jump on one.

R2.8 = pretty sweet, but you are $10k minimum on this swap doing it yourself.
15BFTE - iF you can get a decent price from the guy in the classifieds along with a harness, that would be excellent. It's going to be work, but I'd much rather fight electronics world than install an R2.8. just me...
There is one thing in the automotive world that I really don't understand, and its electrical stuff. I hate it. Thank god my dads an electrical engineer. I think the most likely scenario right now will be that the troopy gets a 13bt eventually. Unless somehow a 14B or 15BF comes up for sale in the states that I could then turbo, but I doubt that. The 2.8 is out of my price range as well. Unless I get extremely desperate I don't think an LS will be going in it, would prefer to keep it diesel. Maybe if a great deal on a cummins came up nearby then sure. But really I think it'll just sit until I can put a 13BT or 14B into it. I may not be on mud as much in the months to come due to obvious reasons so if anyone sees a 13, 14, 15B shoot me a PM or tag me in the post, etc etc.

Rebuilds are expensive and never quick. Depending on the builder the outcome will also be questionable.
Only way it's cheap is if you are sure what went wrong, what was damaged, and are correct. That's alot of ifs. You can also spend alot of money for what seems like a great rebuild at a well recommended machine shop and pay premium for balancing and blueprinting the rotating assembly and then have it blow up on you because the "professionals" did something wrong.

Land Cruiser Heaven Thoughts??? I really dont know what a fair price for a 13BT would be, contacted them asking if I could get it without the transmission for cheaper and if they had any idea how many Kms it has on it. Their website only says this about the engine...

"13BT from a JDM Spec 70 series. All our engines come from running and driving 70 series. We guarantee the engines to have good compression per OEM Specs.

Donor vehicles come with lower than 275k KM.

13BT with Automatic Transmission

Engines are used, and we recommend that when you receive them you replace all gaskets and seals."

13bt.jpg

IMG_2671__49327.1655306940.jpg

Do these guys have a good or bad reputation, never really heard about them before but they are on the east coast so much much closer. Also the only 13BT i can find for sale in the states. I'll update the thread when I get a response on milage etc

Lots of salt exposure. :hmm:

Land Cruiser Heaven Thoughts??? I really dont know what a fair price for a 13BT would be, contacted them asking if I could get it without the transmission for cheaper and if they had any idea how many Kms it has on it. Their website only says this about the engine...

"13BT from a JDM Spec 70 series. All our engines come from running and driving 70 series. We guarantee the engines to have good compression per OEM Specs.

Engines are used, and we recommend that when you receive them you replace all gaskets and seals."

View attachment 3034887
View attachment 3034891

Do these guys have a good or bad reputation, never really heard about them before but they are on the east coast so much much closer. Also the only 13BT i can find for sale in the states. I'll update the thread when I get a response on milage etc
Hey bud,

Depending what you find out about these fellers, if they are legit and reputable, and only want to sell the unit as a whole, I would possibly be willing to go halvers with you and take the H151 tranny/transfer. This way you can potentially get a better long term solution for your Troopy! Let me know, or PM me if you prefer...

View attachment 3034887
View attachment 3034891

This company has had issues in the past.
Search here:
Bad Sellers - Buyer Beware - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/bad-sellers-buyer-beware.352/

Just google them , plenty of bad reviews out there . I have bought some stuff from them before that was advertised "in stock" and once they had my money I had to wait 2 months to get it . Only deal I would make on that is pickup in person and hear it run before you load it up.

Lots of salt exposure. :hmm:
exactly what I was thinking. then again doesn't really affect the internals... just spray everything with kroil for a couple days before tackeling anything
Hey bud,

Depending what you find out about these fellers, if they are legit and reputable, and only want to sell the unit as a whole, I would possibly be willing to go halvers with you and take the H151 tranny/transfer. This way you can potentially get a better long term solution for your Troopy! Let me know, or PM me if you prefer...
They just got back to me and said it actually has an H55f behind it and that it has 275,xxx kilos on it.
Just google them , plenty of bad reviews out there . I have bought some stuff from them before that was advertised "in stock" and once they had my money I had to wait 2 months to get it . Only deal I would make on that is pickup in person and hear it run before you load it up.
I wouldn’t buy a toaster from them at a garage sale for $1.
Ok, there's a lot of weird/bad stuff lining up. The engine is listed as JDM yet is coming out of Dubai. Incorrect listing for transmission. And everyone seemingly all coming together at once to say NO. Got my hopes up for a minute, especially since it's so close to me, but thank y'all for being on the lookout.

I bought 70 series half rear doors from Land Cruiser Heaven back when I had the FJ73. He delivered but it did take awhile....never did any other business with him.

I had them look at my 74 when I still lived in Maryland. They seem smart but gave me an "inspection" found some minor things which I figured. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. I had read all the reviews. The owners rebuttal etc... Tried to line up having them do a little work but could never get them to get back to me. Right there they lost my business. I'd tried to contact them a few times too. Shop was nice. Working on some cool rigs. Couldn't quite figure out he didn't want to help someone local with money to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom