Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You have a prime opportunity while you have it apart to make some measurements and a template of plexiglass on the front of your transmission for future swap info. If I was in Wilmington for something I'd like to go over there and do that myself.

From what I've read the spline count on an hz1 transmission and 3b tranny is the same but on one of them the shaft is longer, but a 10 mm spacer plate can make up the gap. Not sure if that is hz1 mounted to a 3B tranny, or 3B mounted to an hz1 tranny. A spacer plate between bellhousing and tranny is probably easier to make than one between tranny and engine.

I've heard people say the bolt pattern of the back of the engine is the same across Toyota, and I've heard people say they were all different.

Getting the engine and tranny and all to bolt together is the difficult part. New motor mounts and moving radiator shrouds and hoses is not that bad, if you're okay with strong and ugly and don't have to have beautiful and perfect.

2uzfe in the tundra is a wonderful engine. It would push your troopy beautifully. Don't know about the bolt pattern on the back of the engine. Any gas conversion will however make your troopy a gas hog.
I'll do that for you, aswell as I for good info to have, chances are a engine won't be in for a while so let me know if you're ever nearby. Im pretty certain a 1HZ is out of my pricepoint, as nice as that would be. I'd prefer to stay diesel, preferably 80-90s diesels. Just so simple and reliable (besides mine haha) I might just wait till a 13BT comes up for sale or a 14B, I'd really like a 14B. Only issue with the 14B is the only ones I see for sale online all come from alibaba in China... no where else in the world is selling a 14B online? I just find it hard to believe, maybe google is filtering out foreign countries from my search results. This is when it would be nice to have a contact overseas.

Also for anyone reading this, if you want a part for your 3B shoot me a PM, need to make as much money as possible. Figured I'd give my thread a heads up before I post in the parting out sections. Not too sure if I'll part with the starter or alternator yet as I may still need them for something in the future due to 24v.

@theglobb sorry you're going through this! sucks that it threatens your montana trip, I grew up in Missoula and it is a fun place in the summer

I recently removed the turbo from my 1HZ out of fear it would kill it and leave me engine-less also. Call me crazy, but I have been bench-wheeling and thinking about the Advanced Adapters 19spline split-case to Jeep Ax15 adapter kit. Ax15's are everywhere, very strong, and would open up a whole new world of potential engines, since you can get bellhousing adapters for chevy's, fords, AMC's, mercedes diesels, etc.

These guys have some interesting engines listed, inventory changes frequently. I know nothing about their reputation and have no experience with them.

theglobb sent me this
I know everyone likes the red rocket. I have shesmad converted bj74
Anyone have a opinion or concerns about selling my 13bt so theglobb can fix it and me getting the 1hdt for my bj74.
It would be fun to help him and solve my problem. I've reached out to seller for more info and pics of the 1hdt.

I see that the 1hdt is no longer available, but what is exactly wrong with your 13BT?

You have a prime opportunity while you have it apart to make some measurements and a template of plexiglass on the front of your transmission for future swap info. If I was in Wilmington for something I'd like to go over there and do that myself.

From what I've read the spline count on an hz1 transmission and 3b tranny is the same but on one of them the shaft is longer, but a 10 mm spacer plate can make up the gap. Not sure if that is hz1 mounted to a 3B tranny, or 3B mounted to an hz1 tranny. A spacer plate between bellhousing and tranny is probably easier to make than one between tranny and engine.

from @AlbertoSD

img_5112-jpg.1232443

Left: F, 2F, 3F, H, 2H, 12HT type H55 input shaft.
Middle: HZ type H55 input shaft
Right: B, 2B, 3B, 13BT type H55 input shaft

It seems like slapping a B-series h55F onto a 1HZ setup would need a spacer or input shaft swap.

If you want a 3B look to Canada... The engines outlasted many of the trucks. If you search the clubhouse section here you will find some leads (for example the user "too tall" was offering free 3b long blocks in the Vancouver Island Cruisers section in Jan - search the clubhouse section for "3b"), plus there are other leads. You could also try some of the Canadian shops that stock used parts like EBI in Vancouver, BC. For classifieds in Canada you could check Craigslist and Kijiji.ca.

I see that the 1hdt is no longer available, but what is exactly wrong with your 13BT?

from @AlbertoSD

img_5112-jpg.1232443

Left: F, 2F, 3F, H, 2H, 12HT type H55 input shaft.
Middle: HZ type H55 input shaft
Right: B, 2B, 3B, 13BT type H55 input shaft

It seems like slapping a B-series h55F onto a 1HZ setup would need a spacer or input shaft swap.
Somewhere on the forum there's a guy in Africa who made a 10 mm thick spacer plate out of steel put it between the tranny and the engine and connected a 1hz to a 3b h55f. Much simpler than a input shaft change. He may have had to measure and use a different pilot bearing or maybe a bushing.

Chevy to old school LC adapter plate+spacer+3b clutch disc with Chevy pressure plate??

I'll ping @gr8ful to this thread as well. He has had a few troopys, BJ73's etc and seems to have parts and such. He's around Boulder so it's possibly he has an engine or 2 hanging out.

Buying a 13B-T that also needs a rebuild is a really bad idea….

As are spacers, and using wrong input shafts, etc.

I’m super happy you got the engine out, etc., but there are some pretty poor ideas being suggested here.

@roma042987 posted that 3Bii engine…. That would be an easy solution. And he’s in Alabama.

Everything else is going be band aid and a waste of your time and money. IE: you are going to have to do this all over again in the near future.

That said, if you have boat loads of cash (or dad does, etc.), then a repower is the best way to go long term.

Buying a 13B-T that also needs a rebuild is a really bad idea….

As are spacers, and using wrong input shafts, etc.

I’m super happy you got the engine out, etc., but there are some pretty poor ideas being suggested here.

@roma042987 posted that 3Bii engine…. That would be an easy solution. And he’s in Alabama.

Everything else is going be band aid and a waste of your time and money. IE: you are going to have to do this all over again in the near future.

That said, if you have boat loads of cash (or dad does, etc.), then a repower is the best way to go long term.
Thanks for the honest truth. I, unfortunately, don't have boat loads of cash for a repower. Roma's 3Bii would definitely be what I'd go to if I'm putting a 3B back in as of right now. I don't want to turbo another 3B, ontop of the fact the 3Bii has a different manifold, I'm just scared of what turboing another one would do. I tuned it for no black smoke, couldn't get over 1000f EGT... I really wanted the most life out of it possible with a turbo yet the crank went ahead and exploderized itself. Only issue is if I don't turbo it then it would be extremely hard to daily it up in the mountains. Catch-22 I guess.
If you want a 3B look to Canada... The engines outlasted many of the trucks. If you search the clubhouse section here you will find some leads (for example the user "too tall" was offering free 3b long blocks in the Vancouver Island Cruisers section in Jan - search the clubhouse section for "3b"), plus there are other leads. You could also try some of the Canadian shops that stock used parts like EBI in Vancouver, BC. For classifieds in Canada you could check Craigslist and Kijiji.ca.
I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the lead

There's a lot of people that have made time around me for the Montana trip, aswell as my friends who have based half of their summer off of it. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pick up that 3Bii to pull off the trip in, and be able to have transportation for the rest of summer and into college. Save up a BUNCH of money and whenever a 13BT, 14B, etc comes up for sale pick it up, sell the 3Bii to make most of my money back on that engine. Yes it's a bit of work but if I pulled an engine in a day in the dirt and rain, then I can definitely do it again if I got a concrete floor to work with. We might have a garage built by Dec (winter break). Just trying to go through my options right now. Or I might be able to source a block, rebuild whats messed up in the engine and go from there for cheap. Everyone is talking about how the engine is likely more damaged than just the crank, I understand the block is most likely messed up, would there be anything else that could be buggered by the crank cracking apart?

Better have a slow troopy than an immobile troopy.

On what happened to your first 3B... It was probably here for a long time before it was imported to the US and the turbo was just the very small push that made it fall over the cliff.
To be honest in France (and probably most of western Europe) it's known that back when the 70 series were new Toyota and the Land Cruiser had already the reputation of being indestructibles. Combined with the fact that they were utility vehicle bought to work and it's not rare to find 70series that almost got no maintenance for 20 years... Some guys confused heavy duty with no need for oil... And reality is that they got away with it for the work life of these trucks but 30 years later an enthusiast get a bad surprise.
Would not be surprised to discover that this poor 75 ran for thousand of kms with low oil...

All of that to say that what happened to your original 3B does not means it would happen to any other 3B. Particularly if you can check it before hand and/or have history.

Well this sucks. You better still be making it to TN in September.

This 3B is for sale on mud (not sure if it's doable):

Perhaps starting an OnlyFans can fund a replacement? :cool:

Well this sucks. You better still be making it to TN in September.

This 3B is for sale on mud (not sure if it's doable):

Perhaps starting an OnlyFans can fund a replacement? :cool:
Would be more doable than Roma's as his has a different flywheel setup than mine and also doesn't have a flywheel, so I'd have to find a 3bii flywheel. More doable from mechanical standpoint, not distance. I PM'd the guy and he said he'd prefer not parting out just the engine, we don't have any room here for just a frame sitting around.

Had a lot of people mention GoFundMe, not onlyfans yet haha!

Last edited:
@theglobb …. “Had a lot of people mention GoFundMe”.
————————————————————————————

I would donate just to keep you out of a Prius. 😊

This one of my favorite threads, Love all the adventure the Red Rocket gets into.
Just don't think it would be the same in a Prius !!

That frame would not be to hard to cut up and sale for scrap !!

Last edited:
I have a couple of other 3bs "6 bolt crank" but one is awaiting it's replacement from Japan and the other is attached to a rusty truck. I've been waiting on the replacement for a year and a half and it appears the shipper, (once a reputable mud vendor) has now ceased all communications with me so I'm not too optimistic on having it anytime soon.

20200708_173927.jpg

Last edited:
I've been seriously amazed by the help offered from this community once again. Time after time. I've had many people hunting for engines on my behalf from connections they may have, and then the connections offer more leads to follow if I decide to not go their route, etc etc. I have also just been offered a free crankshaft which was one of the bigger issues I ran into when debating on rebuilding the engine. Other than the crank bearings and block, what are other parts of my engine that could've been damaged by the crank cracking? I know there won't be stuff I'll see until I tear it open but would like to order parts to get here ASAP for a rebuild if I do go that route. Any other things I should just replace while I have it all apart, like head gasket/bolts obviously, but other more specific stuff some of y'all might know of? Buying an engine isn't off the table, just from a financial standpoint, if I could go through an engine, and rebuild it for cheaper than buying a used engine and get much more life out of it, due to the rebuild... then I would rather go that route.

If you go the rebuild path you well know what you have, every thing else in a gamble. JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom