Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only deal I would make on that is pickup in person and hear it run before you load it up.
This. ^^

I’d probably want to see good evidence of compression numbers, too, not just vague assurances.

That said, if he has the goods and you can pre-check it in person, it might be something to look at.

This. ^^

I’d probably want to see good evidence of compression numbers, too, not just vague assurances.

That said, if he has the goods and you can pre-check it in person, it might be something to look at.
They said it was just shipped out of Dubai and will be here around July 20th... reading other people's reviews they might add another 2 weeks, then another, then another... etc. if it does arrive around then and I can have proof of compression and videos of it running, then I may go check it out in person. Doubt it though, they would probably just try to sell it to some poor sucker who wont be as much of a pain in the ass to them haha

Land Cruiser Heaven Thoughts??? I really dont know what a fair price for a 13BT would be, contacted them asking if I could get it without the transmission for cheaper and if they had any idea how many Kms it has on it. Their website only says this about the engine...

"13BT from a JDM Spec 70 series. All our engines come from running and driving 70 series. We guarantee the engines to have good compression per OEM Specs.

Donor vehicles come with lower than 275k KM.

13BT with Automatic Transmission

Engines are used, and we recommend that when you receive them you replace all gaskets and seals."

View attachment 3034887
View attachment 3034891

Do these guys have a good or bad reputation, never really heard about them before but they are on the east coast so much much closer. Also the only 13BT i can find for sale in the states. I'll update the thread when I get a response on milage etc

Just google them , plenty of bad reviews out there . I have bought some stuff from them before that was advertised "in stock" and once they had my money I had to wait 2 months to get it . Only deal I would make on that is pickup in person and hear it run before you load it up.

I wouldn’t buy a toaster from them at a garage sale for $1.

I came here to post that I just saw LCH's post on IG about a 13BT but I don't know their reputation. Looks like this is already settled.

Land Cruiser Heaven Thoughts??? I really dont know what a fair price for a 13BT would be, contacted them asking if I could get it without the transmission for cheaper and if they had any idea how many Kms it has on it. Their website only says this about the engine...

"13BT from a JDM Spec 70 series. All our engines come from running and driving 70 series. We guarantee the engines to have good compression per OEM Specs.

Donor vehicles come with lower than 275k KM.

13BT with Automatic Transmission

Engines are used, and we recommend that when you receive them you replace all gaskets and seals."

View attachment 3034887
View attachment 3034891

Do these guys have a good or bad reputation, never really heard about them before but they are on the east coast so much much closer. Also the only 13BT i can find for sale in the states. I'll update the thread when I get a response on milage etc

That thing is crusty. How did they verify mileage? All I know is that it seems most of those JDM auction cars don't have legit miles. Now this is a little higher at 278k, but I can tell you my 13BT with 485,000kms didn't look 1/2 this crusty. Would need a compression test and to hear it running.

You might be able to get $1,500 for the H55F used or keep it and use it for another project, but you are still over $4,500 plus shipping just for the engine. So $6k for an unknown engine thats crusty plus shipping? You know you are going to have to probably cleanup and work on things. If that injector pump needs rebuilt...$1300.
Hard pass for me.

At that price, IMO doesn't make sense as you are nearing R2.8 money all said and done.

exactly what I was thinking. then again doesn't really affect the internals... just spray everything with kroil for a couple days before tackeling anything

They just got back to me and said it actually has an H55f behind it and that it has 275,xxx kilos on it.

Ok, there's a lot of weird/bad stuff lining up. The engine is listed as JDM yet is coming out of Dubai. Incorrect listing for transmission. And everyone seemingly all coming together at once to say NO. Got my hopes up for a minute, especially since it's so close to me, but thank y'all for being on the lookout.
Too expensive no matter any other review. Don't rush for a swap. Prepare for patience and the proper solution will present itself.

I'll echo...for sure don't sell the Troopy....we all have project car setbacks and have to backburner them for a while. I wouldn't throw money at bandaid 'fixes' and less than ideal fixes, you said yourself money is tight. Save up and do it right, once.

Why not a take out full 2F drivetrain from a 40 or 60 or 55 and throw it in? Never understood the appeal of the 50 hp diesels for our roads. A running engine/trans/tcase can't be that much from someone doing a swap.

I say make the trip in a different vehicle....sure the Troopy is cool and makes for good pics and vids, but the trip with friends is the ultimate goal.

And this 'used car prices are bonkers' thing is true for some, not true for others. Cars with beat paint and dings or small CEL issues can still be had for cheap.

What are you driving around town now?

Why not a take out full 2F drivetrain from a 40 or 60 or 55 and throw it in? Never understood the appeal of the 50 hp diesels for our roads. A running engine/trans/tcase can't be that much from someone doing a swap.
sooooo... I was thinking about this. We have a very VERY rusty 55, with a 2f and 4spd that will never move for a while. Engine runs great and the tranny moves in all gears including low range. Parked cause a break booster went out and just rotted for years in a field. Is this stupid to do? I know its going backwards in time to put in a 4spd and 2f into a troopy but I mean 87 FJ60's had the same setup. Peoples thoughts on this??? How much different is the earlier style 4spd from the h55f. Are they the same size, would the driveshafts be too long/short? also motor mounts I'd need to figure out. Still this is something that's parked directly next to the troopy and could be done. Also 24v to 12v

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

I say make the trip in a different vehicle....sure the Troopy is cool and makes for good pics and vids, but the trip with friends is the ultimate goal.
No one has a vehicle with nearly as much room, or that is reliable as the troopy was, before the crank exploderized itself. Yes, how can my friend group not have any more reliable cars than a 35 year old Toyota? I really have no clue, no one has the confidence to do it in their own rigs as well as I don't have the confidence in their rigs either. If we were able to take another car than the troopy we would have to cut people out of the trip. Troopy is the ultimate road trip vehicle.
What are you driving around town now?
I've been stuck in my house debating life for 5 or 6 days now with no transportation, until yesterday. My neighbor has a 1997 Tacoma (5spd) that always has issues. Head gasket is blown, doesn't like to start ever even though it has spark and fuel. He told me if I could get it running (again) then I could drive it around until he wants to sell it. I got it running again, put head gasket sealer in it, and seafoamed it. So much smoke came out of the tailpipe, this thing was so carboned up... Regardless it runs quite a bit better now, don't know when he'll want to sell it tho.
IMG_2772.JPG

sheeeett....get a new hood for the 55, swap wheels and tires from the troopy, some lift shackles and new shocks, fix the brakes/rubber bits and road trip the 55!

How many people are you trying to cram into the troopy for this trip?
Sounds like a cheap E series van is in order. The trip and sights is the goal, right?

If you did 2F swap the Troopy, its 2 motor mounts and a trans mount, its pretty cheap to lengthen\shorten driveshafts, and wire up the 12V starter and head/taillights

They said it was just shipped out of Dubai and will be here around July 20th... reading other people's reviews they might add another 2 weeks, then another, then another... etc. if it does arrive around then and I can have proof of compression and videos of it running, then I may go check it out in person. Doubt it though, they would probably just try to sell it to some poor sucker who wont be as much of a pain in the ass to them haha

I'll cut you a deal!
Would be a straight drop-in.
Not so conveniently located in Memphis.
Get you back on the road quickly, though.

sheeeett....get a new hood for the 55, swap wheels and tires from the troopy, some lift shackles and new shocks, fix the brakes/rubber bits and road trip the 55!

How many people are you trying to cram into the troopy for this trip?
Sounds like a cheap E series van is in order. The trip and sights is the goal, right?

If you did 2F swap the Troopy, its 2 motor mounts and a trans mount, its pretty cheap to lengthen\shorten driveshafts, and wire up the 12V starter and head/taillights
I wanted to use the 55 as my daily now but it was shot down by the older and smarter members of my family, its very very rusty, can pull the turn signals out of the fender kind of rusty. 6 people for this trip just like last years. A lot of the stuff on the trip would be offroading with people all across America, plus with the troopy we can get houses to stay at, shower at, people feed us. It helped quite a bit last year having cool car bias, especially in the mud community. As for the 2f swap I just don't know if its worth the time/effort of whole new motor mounts, trans mounts, and cutting the driveshafts, just to revert it all later. Then again if I put the 2f in it I would probably be a lot less motivated to swap an engine back into it and would have that engine in the troopy for however long it lasts

I wanted to use the 55 as my daily now but it was shot down by the older and smarter members of my family, its very very rusty, can pull the turn signals out of the fender kind of rusty. 6 people for this trip just like last years. A lot of the stuff on the trip would be offroading with people all across America, plus with the troopy we can get houses to stay at, shower at, people feed us. It helped quite a bit last year having cool car bias, especially in the mud community. As for the 2f swap I just don't know if its worth the time/effort of whole new motor mounts, trans mounts, and cutting the driveshafts, just to revert it all later. Then again if I put the 2f in it I would probably be a lot less motivated to swap an engine back into it and would have that engine in the troopy for however long it lasts
2f swap is not worth the effort IMO

2F may be a little older than a 3B but it's noticeably more powerful and more torque at any rpm.

On the length of the driveshaft with the 4speed vs the 5 I don't know if it would need some modifications.
An option would be to keep your H55f and to hook it to the 2F but that would require to swap the input shaft, that some work. But biggest issue is your 4speed is probably a H42 being a US market truck and so the first gear won't interchange with the H55f, a H41 input shaft should work...
On the usage of H42 vs H55f the biggest difference is that you will lose the overdrive on 5th but the 2F should be able to stay higher in rev to compensate. Being a H42 the first gear will not be as low as the one from a H41/H55f which are very low, with 4.11 gears it's a better gearing on road but you lose a bit on the very low end for off road.

On the 24V vs 12V, if you don't have a lot of time and that it's a temporary setup, a very dirty hack could be to make a second electrical network with a separate switch that only connects to 1 battery and provides 12V to the coil, starter and carb solenoid. All the rest should be able to stay in 24V, should check that the 24V alternator of the 3B can be hooked-up on the 2F also.
Note that this unbalanced use of a dual battery setup is bad and will wore the battery quicker, this is a dirty hack, not a long term solution.

Oh and fixing the FJ55 to do the roadtrip in the Pig would also be very cool :cool:

sooooo... I was thinking about this. We have a very VERY rusty 55, with a 2f and 4spd that will never move for a while. Engine runs great and the tranny moves in all gears including low range. Parked cause a break booster went out and just rotted for years in a field. Is this stupid to do? I know its going backwards in time to put in a 4spd and 2f into a troopy but I mean 87 FJ60's had the same setup. Peoples thoughts on this??? How much different is the earlier style 4spd from the h55f. Are they the same size, would the driveshafts be too long/short? also motor mounts I'd need to figure out. Still this is something that's parked directly next to the troopy and could be done. Also 24v to 12v

View attachment 3035506
View attachment 3035507

No one has a vehicle with nearly as much room, or that is reliable as the troopy was, before the crank exploderized itself. Yes, how can my friend group not have any more reliable cars than a 35 year old Toyota? I really have no clue, no one has the confidence to do it in their own rigs as well as I don't have the confidence in their rigs either. If we were able to take another car than the troopy we would have to cut people out of the trip. Troopy is the ultimate road trip vehicle.

I've been stuck in my house debating life for 5 or 6 days now with no transportation, until yesterday. My neighbor has a 1997 Tacoma (5spd) that always has issues. Head gasket is blown, doesn't like to start ever even though it has spark and fuel. He told me if I could get it running (again) then I could drive it around until he wants to sell it. I got it running again, put head gasket sealer in it, and seafoamed it. So much smoke came out of the tailpipe, this thing was so carboned up... Regardless it runs quite a bit better now, don't know when he'll want to sell it tho.
View attachment 3035509

Not a fan of 2F swap at this point just for the trip. Motor mounts, radiator, driveshafts, fuel tank, lots of work. And we aren't talking about a refreshed or newer 2F, we are talking older one, fighting with carbs and open the wallet for 10mpg.

I'll cut you a deal!
Would be a straight drop-in.
Not so conveniently located in Memphis.
Get you back on the road quickly, though.

Heck yeah! Thats your quick deal right here. Doesn't get any easier, well unless it was in town. Thats 11 hours in that little Tacoma.

2f swap is not worth the effort IMO

why not?
He drove a worn out 3B across the country last year.

The 2F swap is VERY tempting, seeing that he has the entire drivetrain and all gas/12V parts already. Can start working on it TODAY to make the trip deadline. Everyday that goes by without work is putting the trip at risk.

The money saved from not buying a new engine will buy some additional gasoline. Diesel is more expensive too. What is the troopy geared at? Some slightly taller tires would get you some rubber overdrive as well.

What was the overall MPG on the troopy?

Yea only bonus is it would be free... the engine and tranny that is. Then mod everything else plus like 8mpg
I'd join the ONSC club (if you haven't already) and lean on them for a 'Help a member of the month' meetup....light a fire under the project and get the hard parts done. Quite a good resource.

why not?
He drove a worn out 3B across the country last year.

The 2F swap is VERY tempting, seeing that he has the entire drivetrain and all gas/12V parts already. Can start working on it TODAY to make the trip deadline. Everyday that goes by without work is putting the trip at risk.

The money saved from not buying a new engine will buy some additional gasoline. Diesel is more expensive too. What is the troopy geared at? Some slightly taller tires would get you some rubber overdrive as well.

What was the overall MPG on the troopy?
Love both sides of the argument. It is pretty tempting to me cause it is literally right next to my engineless troopy in a car that wont move for a while. troopy has 4.11 or 10. Don't have the money, especially now for taller tires. troopy would get 20 in the city 18 on the highway going 65mph. Being able to go up a hill in 3rd gear instead of 2nd with the 2f is pretty nice too I guess.

Heck yeah! Thats your quick deal right here. Doesn't get any easier, well unless it was in town. Thats 11 hours in that little Tacoma.
Definitely still the most reasonable solution here.

A small point about the B and 3B engines I have learned having a lot of them in the Cruiser community around here.
They are all different, some are peppy and like to rev, some are slow as dog. You find stock BJ40 never restored that are able to pick at 140kph on the Freeway while some rebuilt BJ42 can't go over 110kph.
Some older member of the French club argues that it was also like that when the trucks were brand new and that it happened multiple time that people upgrading an older BJ40 for a brand new BJ40 or even a BJ42 were disappointed that the new one was slower than the older one.

Considering that we now know that your 3B was probably not in the best condition of all it's not impossible that a 3B in better condition would be able to drive a little better.
(Considering that it's still an old NA diesel)

A small point about the B and 3B engines I have learned having a lot of them in the Cruiser community around here.
They are all different, some are peppy and like to rev, some are slow as dog.
I tend to agree with this. I’ve had both driving experiences with different 3B’s in apparently good condition. . I think your 3B in non-turbo form was one of the doggies. My 3B troopy was slow uphill, but nothing like what you’ve described for yours. Mine would easily pull an 8% grade in 3rd at 40-45mph. That’s steeper than you’ll find on any Interstate hiway. A 5-6% grade was easy in 4th at 50-55mph. Not lightning speed, of course, but it always got me where I was going. The 3BII that was in the troopy @umpqua has maybe even drove a little stronger.

My $.02: if the 3B offered above is in a car you can drive, try it out. It might surprise you. It’ll never be a 1HD-FTE, but it might be good enough. All normal due diligence applies: get a compression test, maybe pull the pan and inspect, check service records, etc. if it checks out, drop it in. It should get you through your trip and it’s a
super easy swap—you’re on the road in a weekend.

Later, if you decide you can’t stand the slow lane anymore, you can always sell it and buy something else. A good running 3B will always be a good swap into somebody’s 40, and, as you’ve seen, it’s not too difficult to pull.

Just some bored thoughts at work this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom