Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do the EFI blocks come with a fuel pump plate of is that eliminated in the cast?

This one has a block off plate which plays into the theory that they swapped the top end only.

Look at the block number and then take the valve cover off and look at the head casting number.

That will tell you everything you need to know. Er.... it will tell me what to tell you. :lol:

Nolan, there’s too many dang wires and relays in there: The solution to all your problems is literally in front of my nose.

63D2D577-72C4-46CE-A2AE-A61E1AEFFD7A.jpeg

I guess this type air pump can be run without being hooked up? I know 40 and 60 ones will burn up if you try that.

Do you just leave the pump ports open to atmosphere or do you plug them?

I've been leaving it open and haven't had any issues but we also don't drive this one much.

Nolan, there’s too many dang wires and relays in there: The solution to all your problems is literally in front of my nose.

View attachment 2362525

You are talking to the only Cruiser nut that hates diesels. Sorry.

Of course.....like a turd 80.....if the right one comes along you never know :)

The 1HZ in my poverty pack 80 feels very much like a 3FE; you can drive at highway speeds without issue, but it’s not going to be very fast getting there.

The 1HDT in Marilu (my current HDJ80) is a revelation.

It might convert even the most stalwart of gas cruiser heads....MAYBE.

Either way the Oddball is rad. Keep it comin’!

Engine bay got its bath so here are the photos.

I have never owned a 3FE except to flip a couple of turd FJ62s so I’m not familiar with how anything is supposed to be laid out.

View attachment 2362039
When it died on me the first time I found this breaker tucked down under the coil. You can see the genius scotch locked the power wire and then grounded it to an old washer bottle holder on the firewall. I assure you, whatever pump was in the truck before it was not done like this.

View attachment 2362040
Full View of the passenger side

View attachment 2362041
These are the two plugs that I was talking about that are not being used

View attachment 2362042

Front View

View attachment 2362043

Drivers side. The EGR valve with the blue label is just venting to atmosphere. The rest looks like it’s in the correct place.
Where the washer bottle bracket is on the firewall is where the diagnosis plug is supposed to mount. The two big plugs I believe are both for the cruise control actuator.

I got the mystery trailer cleaned up. No markings or serial number in or on it. It must have had a plate of sorts at some point as nothing is owned by the .gov that does not have a number.

A152BE4E-CB6D-47A2-BD46-A9D74C228B0F.jpeg

When I filled up the rear diff I discovered a pinion seal leak. Luckily that’s the same seal as on the other Cruisers around here and I had one available.

I rolled the dice and did not redo the crush sleeve. I know that makes 80 guys gasp but I torqued it just past the last dent and called it good.
2E88ABF6-041F-40A1-B4A5-B707F000FDEA.jpeg

I also put some auto parts store patches on the muffler for now. I don’t have a good shop local so that a band aid for sure.

The truck never came with cats I don’t think but the exhaust has been jacked with. One spot where it passed over the frame does not have a hanger and it rested on the frame and made a nice noise on start up. I folded over some bulk Remflex and made a barrier for now and stopped the noise. All will be repacked at some point
C05322DA-A568-4D74-9CFF-038DF14608F3.jpeg

The Saudis must not need fluids when they drive because this truck has not a single cup holder. I can’t go anywhere without a cup of water so that’s the first high tech mod. I grabbed a generic holder and chopped it in 1/2 and velcoed it to the carpet. 🙌😆
4A6769A0-6CDB-4754-B367-D25F01A74F81.jpeg

Hopefully some real parts will start streaming in this week so I can move forward on the rehab ...... I want the suspension done so I can soak this baby in Fluid Film. It’s killing me

27252166-7796-4B48-AFAD-B16FD844668A.jpeg

So I know you are a big FluidFilm guy. I use it too but only in hollow areas on frames and bodies. It seems to stay sticky and nasty a long time.

So when you spray the whole underside of a truck, does it stay sticky and nasty a long time? Like cotton (from the trees) or dog hair really seems to stick to it.

Cheers

So I know you are a big FluidFilm guy. I use it too but only in hollow areas on frames and bodies. It seems to stay sticky and nasty a long time.

So when you spray the whole underside of a truck, does it stay sticky and nasty a long time? Like cotton (from the trees) or dog hair really seems to stick to it.

Cheers

it will soak in on metal like this fasT but the reason im waiting to do the mechanical underneath is because it’s messy at first.

The only way to properly paint the underside of a truck this nasty is to blast it and this just makes it so much easier to protect. If there is actually paint there it will turn back to black.

Last thing I love is that there is no worry about overspray.

I always use it on top of painted surfaces. So when it is all crusty the FF gets absorbed into the metal, more or less?

Cheers

More if crusty. It also makes it super easy to wash the mud off

And I am a POR15 guy these days. I get great results if I take the time and do it right. I also scuff it all back and top coat it with quality rattle can.

FDF7984E-8E24-4846-A9D7-0547CD01FE29.jpeg
03BF9605-40D9-4223-8EEB-BE0A51E46001.jpeg

That is all POR15 with top coat, body on job which always sucks to do but nice results.

Cheers

And I am a POR15 guy these days. I get great results if I take the time and do it right. I also scuff it all back and top coat it with quality rattle can.

View attachment 2363435View attachment 2363436

That is all POR15 with top coat, body on job which always sucks to do but nice results.

Cheers

I get that for sure. All depends on the vehicle. Looks great.

When I filled up the rear diff I discovered a pinion seal leak. Luckily that’s the same seal as on the other Cruisers around here and I had one available.

I rolled the dice and did not redo the crush sleeve. I know that makes 80 guys gasp but I torqued it just past the last dent and called it good.
View attachment 2363331
I also put some auto parts store patches on the muffler for now. I don’t have a good shop local so that a band aid for sure.

The truck never came with cats I don’t think but the exhaust has been jacked with. One spot where it passed over the frame does not have a hanger and it rested on the frame and made a nice noise on start up. I folded over some bulk Remflex and made a barrier for now and stopped the noise. All will be repacked at some point
View attachment 2363332
The Saudis must not need fluids when they drive because this truck has not a single cup holder. I can’t go anywhere without a cup of water so that’s the first high tech mod. I grabbed a generic holder and chopped it in 1/2 and velcoed it to the carpet. 🙌😆
View attachment 2363334
Hopefully some real parts will start streaming in this week so I can move forward on the rehab ...... I want the suspension done so I can soak this baby in Fluid Film. It’s killing me

View attachment 2363333
They carry all their fluids in gallon plus containers. Usually up toP, that’s why the roof had dents. 😂😂

View attachment 2363331

View attachment 2363332
View attachment 2363334

View attachment 2363333

I wonder where it got all that corrosion? It wouldn't have gotten anything in Riyadh. Either it was taken to the coast and went wading a few times or it got exposed in the US.

I wonder where it got all that corrosion? It wouldn't have gotten anything in Riyadh. Either it was taken to the coast and went wading a few times or it got exposed in the US.

Who knows. That is actually the worst spot on the truck.

I bet it got sand blasted back there on the roads then just neglected afterwards. It is 29 years old.....

View attachment 2363435View attachment 2363436

Cheers

Dang, that looks good, where's that how-to thread?

Yesterday the prior owners brother called me to check in and see how I’m liking the truck.

I gave him the run-down and he asked for pics. I sent some and the link to the thread and immediately the whole family was sending messages and calling loving what they were seeing.

A couple of corrections here to the story.

Turns out the off road photos were actually from the family I purchased the truck from, not the person on the import paperwork.

Jacob, the son who I spoke with said that was the longest trip they took in the truck and that it was vapor locking in them during the long drive to and from the trail.

That would put the bad fuel pump setup on the truck before they purchased it seeing that’s the issue I was having (not really but it felt the same).

One really cool thing is the PO said the truck came with Bamboo Sand Ladders

Unreal cool.

DF304B2F-79D6-4308-B974-3D420F51F314.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom