Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got this thing back together with the extra shim. Seems good and tight now.
IMG_8442.jpeg

I have been hunting a “clunk” in the driveline and thought it may be lower control arm bushings. I hit the easy button and purchased some new SPC arms from Cruiser Outfitters. Turns out, as Beno said, I suck at ordering parts… I bought 200 arms
IMG_8443.jpeg

Those have to go back.

Anyway. Damn. I’ll be the PS pump Monday and this thing will go back to DD and trail truck duty. I’ve missed it.

Pulled this ole girl in the shop and am going to work through some things that have needed addressing

PS has had a weird “hitch” in it. Felt like PS then no PS. Rough through the sweep. Not there when the motor is off and front jacked up so I’m guessing the pump.

Ordered an OEM pump only to discover the 91-92 3FE pump is not the same as the 62 pump. 😩

Had to order a new one (non OEM) from City Racer so that is off the table for now. I don’t think I’ll put the old one back in. I’ll just wait 4 days for the proper part.

So I’m going polish the paint and give the interior a good bath.

View attachment 3562705

View attachment 3562706

You might want to see if a pump rebuild kit is available. I recently rebuilt the pump on one of my 2UZ's, it was stupid simple and the OEM Toyota rebuild kit was only $40.

You might want to see if a pump rebuild kit is available. I recently rebuilt the pump on one of my 2UZ's, it was stupid simple and the OEM Toyota rebuild kit was only $40.
There is. I think I will get a kit for the one I took off for a spare.

Maybe the “clunk” was your t-case output flopping around that you just fixed.

Maybe the “clunk” was your t-case output flopping around that you just fixed.

Well that and a Ujoint that was bad. I bet the bad Ujoint shook my output loose on the Tcase. Made the stake nut unstake and back off.

Chicken and the egg. Maybe vice versa.

Looking back at the mileage I’ve put about 20,000 miles on this thing in 3 + years. That’s about triple what I’ve put on the 60. It’s clearly my favorite one to drive. Looking forward to having it back.

Well that and a Ujoint that was bad. I bet the bad Ujoint shook my output loose on the Tcase. Made the stake nut unstake and back off.

Chicken and the egg. Maybe vice versa.

Looking back at the mileage I’ve put about 20,000 miles on this thing in 3 + years. That’s about triple what I’ve put on the 60. It’s clearly my favorite one to drive. Looking forward to having it back.
So you’d say the driving experience with the 5 speed 80s iare enhanced over an FJ60; even one with an H55 and 4.10s?

Many seem to prefer the 60 for its agricultural je ne sai quas, even under geared as it is from the factory, with the stock 4 speed. I’d imagine a 5 speed an less 90-s era “luxury” trappings would make the 80 a totally different beast, however.

So you’d say the driving experience with the 5 speed 80s iare enhanced over an FJ60; even one with an H55 and 4.10s?

Many seem to prefer the 60 for its agricultural je ne sai quas, even under geared as it is from the factory, with the stock 4 speed. I’d imagine a 5 speed an less 90-s era “luxury” trappings would make the 80 a totally different beast, however.

Everything about a 5 speed 80 is better than a 5 speed 60 speed except the classic good looks of an 60 over an 80.

Steering is better. Ride is better. Brakes are better.

These stripped down Saudi 80s are really in a class of their own I think. They don’t even feel like the same vehicles as US import 80s.

Got the City Racer pump in. They made the return in a different spot so I had to make a new return line. No biggie but just FYI if you get one.

Now to drive. Looking very forward to having the OddBall back

IMG_8526.jpeg

IMG_8527.jpeg

Just got a guy telling @largeone that he also drove this one or one of the other two @Kay9Cop mentioned back in page 7 of this thread. How cool

IMG_9635.jpeg

IMG_9636.jpeg

Why'd he burn it? Infested, condemned, squatters or .....?

It was a mess. Was going to knock it down anyway so we got to enjoy a good fire first.

IMG_9764.jpeg

I like your fire lighter. Bang.

Just got a guy telling @largeone that he also drove this one or one of the other two @Kay9Cop mentioned back in page 7 of this thread. How cool

View attachment 3600358

View attachment 3600359
I am very late to your thread, but saw your truck in Toyota Trails and immediately recognized it as my assigned vehicle when I was stationed at Eskan Village in late 1996. It wouldn’t keep up in the “Allah Lane” but for everything else it was golden!!! Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Forgot to post that from yesterday.
IMG_9778.jpeg

Today I changed the oil and used one of my dwindling stash of proper oil filters
IMG_9780.jpeg
IMG_9779.jpeg
IMG_9781.jpeg

The oddball has been great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom