Joining the 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Just joined today and just received my 1995 Land Cruiser last night. I got triple lockers, it's a blue gray color and rides real nice. I found some rust rot in the back bumper that I posted about and would love some thoughts on.

I will most likely get a roof rack and some beefy tire and rims within the year. I have a firewood business so will be using it for my human family and for my axe and chainsaw family.

I live in New York (suffolk county) and am dreading the salt lined streets.

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

Can’t tell much from that! Post under carriage pics. If its crusty, drive it like you stole it and enjoy it before the rust demons make a meal of it. If good and you feel for it like a second wife, moving out of the rust belt is the only option. Pics pls. Looks decent from top.

Re: rust, please start using fluid film, woolwax, or an equivalent all throughout the underside, inside frame & body cavities. Easy, cheap, and works 👍

Before you get too into building it, make sure everything has been run through and addressed. Cooling system, brakes, tuneup components, all fluids & lubricants, so on. The FAQ section is a wealth of knowledge & resources for "baselining" and beyond.

Enjoy!

Can’t tell much from that! Post under carriage pics. If its crusty, drive it like you stole it and enjoy it before the rust demons make a meal of it. If good and you feel for it like a second wife, moving out of the rust belt is the only option. Pics pls. Looks decent from top.
The under carriage was covered in Line-X so there is nothing to show from there that would look bad but this is the rear bumper. I have all the service records and the previous owner owned from the get go. Everything has been upkept so I am just baffled about this bumper. I even got a hold of the Toyota service center that serviced this car since 1995.

Re: rust, please start using fluid film, woolwax, or an equivalent all throughout the underside, inside frame & body cavities. Easy, cheap, and works 👍

Before you get too into building it, make sure everything has been run through and addressed. Cooling system, brakes, tuneup components, all fluids & lubricants, so on. The FAQ section is a wealth of knowledge & resources for "baselining" and beyond.

Enjoy!
The under carriage was covered in Line-X so there is nothing to show from there that would look bad but this is the rear bumper. I have all the service records and the previous owner owned from the get go. Everything has been upkept so I am just baffled about this bumper. I even got a hold of the Toyota service center that serviced this car since 1995.

I don't think Line-X was the best solution but I should wait until that wear down to think of the woolwax right?

Enjoy!
I don't think Line-X was the best solution but I should wait until that wear down to think of the woolwax right?

Don't wait until it "wears down" to use the Woolwax. Woolwax will soak in and get into cracks.

Line-X will trap moisture under it and allow rust to grow undetected.....

Oh, and that "rear bumper" rust you refer to? That is your rear frame CROSSMEMBER, so you NEED to do something about that.

To me, painted or hard undercoat products are scary unless done properly - stripped down to clean metal/paint and started from scratch. If they are used to cover up existing corrosion or rust, they are actually trapping it & moisture and ultimately accelerating the process… do a quick Google search and you'll see

Many people try to cover up rust and corrosion before a sale, so for example, if you see what looks like recent paint or undercoat, that's something to look into. First thing I did when I went to check out my 80 was crawl around underneath, tapping around with a hammer.

Definitely still use one of the lanolin products. In fact, a properly-applied hard undercoat in conjunction with fluid film/etc is a very robust combo

All that said, not trying to alarm you. Give it a good check and start an annual or bi-annual fluidfilm/woolwax/etc regimen

Last edited:
To me, painted or hard undercoat products are scary unless done properly - stripped down to clean metal/paint and started from scratch. If they are used to cover up existing corrosion or rust, they are actually trapping it & moisture and ultimately accelerating the process… do a quick Google search and you'll see

Many people try to cover up rust and corrosion before a sale, so for example, if you see what looks like recent paint or undercoat, that's something to look into. First thing I did when I went to check out my 80 was crawl around underneath, tapping around with a hammer.

Definitely still use one of the lanolin products. In fact, a properly-applied hard undercoat in conjunction with fluid film/etc is a very robust combo

All that said, not trying to alarm you. Give it a good check and start an annual or bi-annual fluidfilm/woolwax/etc regimen
I had a few before pics of the under carriage and it had some surface rust and rusty areas. The owner did not apply the line-x the dealer who won it off of an auction had it done at a line -x place and I have all the receipts for that. AND this is not bedliner. It is Valugard Rustproofing and says it is wax based. Then they put an undercoat on top of that.

It is not a bedliner spray it is valugard which has some decent studies.

Or get a 4x4 labs bumper. Its an upgrade to bumper and cross member

I guess the moral of the story is where do I go to get a rear crossmember/bumper repaired on Long Island?
Its welded in. You'd need to cut out the old one and weld in a replacement from a donor vehicle. Or a 4x4 labs bumper, which replaces the rear cross member.

Or find someone near you who bought a bumper and get their old crossmember, the crossmember hangs out far enough it shouldn’t be to hard to weld another one in..

For where you are that is a nice 80, I have seen 200’s up there that were nasty underneath..

Welcome! This web forum should be your go to for all info and questions concerning your 80 series LC. The search function is, meh at times. Google search will bring you right here, to what you want fairly fast. Long Island probably uses salt and /or brine and possibly urea on the roads. Fluid Film and wool wax will really help. Look up “Krown” under coatings if you don’t want to DIY rust proofing.
Search……discover……read……build…….repair……feel. It’s a new life, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom