The Newest Dakota Digital Dash - Retrotech (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

again with the 8 grand tach

By chance, is there a 'plug-n-play' for these units to read the existing lights, turn signals, high beam, oil pressure, water temp, and fuel off the OEM harness? The ammeter ring terminals would require a covered connection, but could be in the same harness back to the Dakota. I know the Dakota units have more options than the standard OEM cluster and requires additional wiring, but I'd like to minimize the extra wires.

@RAGINGMATT - If the DD units could read the existing OEM senders (oil, water temp, fuel and battery), and there was a male end to fit your instrument barrel connector, this would be the ticket. :hillbilly:

One thing I noticed, in the display there is an automatic transmission display ? No FJ ever came as an automatic?

These Latest puppies design and layout make the Light shade modification on the OEM Meter look like child's play :eek:

Im surprised to learn that the DD was not or can not be designed to read or interface with the 30-40 year old technology Design

of a YAZAKI or N.D. ( NipponDenso ) Sending Unit , Sensor , Sender signal

Even though the dash itself is specifically made for a 40, the brain unit is universal and is the same unit that comes with all of their other systems. That's why you get the 8k tach, 120mph speed limit, and no plug and play for every car out there. Yes, one of the modules has auto transmission inputs because people that have an auto want to display that info. If you don't have an auto, you don't use that module.

It's really quite simple. It would be nice to have it customized and plug and play for a 40, but the price would be much higher (research, development, and production), and at that point, it wouldn't be as friendly to guys that throw a more modern engine in their 40's.

Saw only a couple so far. One from FJ company and one at a Cummins booth.

IMG_20181031_162722.jpg

IMG_20181031_170806.jpg

IMG_20181031_163046.jpg

IMG_20181031_170825.jpg

....It's really quite simple.....

See, that's the problem right there, "SIMPLE"....Architect's never make anything simple, especially one that hold an "Engineering" degree as well....:doh:

Just kidding! Yep I understand DD's direction and offerings. Why regress back to 50 (plus) year old technology, but it would be sweet if the new control boxes could read the old technology.

Still may have to look into these new units.

See, that's the problem right there, "SIMPLE"....Architect's never make anything simple, especially one that hold an "Engineering" degree as well....:doh:

Just kidding! Yep I understand DD's direction and offerings. Why regress back to 50 (plus) year old technology, but it would be sweet if the new control boxes could read the old technology.

Still may have to look into these new units.

We are preparing to install an earlier VHX that was customized to look closer to stock. Dakota are easy to work with and are willing to make any changes that a customer is willing to pay for. With that being said, if paired with a gps speedo module, the only senders that need to be changed are temp and oil pressure. The great thing about their platform is scalability.

Man that is an awesome update to the DDD display!
You really could not make it plug and play. There are typically 13 wires that need to be routed to the VHX. Only 4 to 6 are available in the gauge cluster connectors.

I have added the VHX wiring to several harnesses. I always leave the OEM connectors intact so the truck could be put back stock by installing the OEM cluster and disconnecting the VHX. I simply tap into the signal wires needed inside the main cowl harness and route them to where the end user wants to mount it.

Yep, I've thought about it.... :hmm:

Note, the diagram below SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR ANY WIRING PURPOSE!!!!!.....This is just my rendition as to the question I posed in post #18.

Barrel Connector to VHX.jpg

If only it could be this simple. I could install the VHX box inside the glove box. It would leave the speed sensor pigtail to the pulse mechanism, tach lead to the coil, and +12 volt constant power wired off the outlet.....Or maybe install that VHX box in another location under the drivers side dash area, if one could find room.

I really like my HDX in my -40. I only wish DD had taken the time to realize that the tach and speed ranges are ridiculous for a FJ40.

I'll be putting a 1HZ diesel in my -40 shortly and the 4k redline means that the DD gauge will barely travel through 90° of arc making quick RPM id more difficult than needed. The same, to a lesser degree, applies to the speedo; a 160mph speedometer is just silly in a -40.

I've thought about calling to see if they could reprogram the steppers and apply a new silkscreened face to my unit... but if I have to ask, I probably can't afford it. :)

IMG_4003.JPG

Last edited:
Those new DD dashes are nice and near similar to original but I prefer my first gen VHX...HDX looks too modern and those new ones look too old for my taste - I like almost everything original on an FJ 40 but the original dash is somewhat too nostalgic for my liking...But they sure did a great job on these retro ones....For half a price I am keeping my VHX...Riley,thanks for posting
12782358_1168794566486501_88056279_n.jpg
24093606_10213064699845729_657682052_o.jpg

Last edited:
So I absolutely LOVE my HDX, and not that I built a speed demon but we just dyno'd at a little less than 500 HP at the crank yesterday so with this engine I NEED the 8K tach and all the rest of the DD HDX goodies ... DD has to accommodate all the idiots like me !!

IMG_9519 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

IMG_9818 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

Yep, I've thought about it.... :hmm:

Note, the diagram below SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR ANY WIRING PURPOSE!!!!!.....This is just my rendition as to the question I posed in post #18.

View attachment 1822950

If only it could be this simple. I could install the VHX box inside the glove box. It would leave the speed sensor pigtail to the pulse mechanism, tach lead to the coil, and +12 volt constant power wired off the outlet.....Or maybe install that VHX box in another location under the drivers side dash area, if one could find room.

UH yeah.... you get this all figured out and installed!
I ever get a ‘jonesin’ for one too, you’re a short drive for my install :grinpimp:

So I absolutely LOVE my HDX, and not that I built a speed demon but we just dyno'd at a little less than 500 HP at the crank yesterday so with this engine I NEED the 8K tach and all the rest of the DD HDX goodies ... DD has to accommodate all the idiots like me !!

well... there you go!

One question I would have for the DD people. I installed one of their gauge packages on a hot rod a few years back and it had the annoying habit of making a loud "click" everytime the odometer turned. It was okay at first, but driving to Daytona Beach from Atlanta it was like a Chinese water torture.

Dang it. I bought the vhx unit a few months back, but only after hemming and hawing about giving up the look of cool old gauge cluster.

Really wanted something like this. I wonder if I could talk DD into only selling me the cluster, assuming it's back-compatible.

Might not be in the budget though. Argh.

One question I would have for the DD people. I installed one of their gauge packages on a hot rod a few years back and it had the annoying habit of making a loud "click" everytime the odometer turned. It was okay at first, but driving to Daytona Beach from Atlanta it was like a Chinese water torture.

My setup was all electric, including the speedometer and odometer. Nothing mechanical to click...

Will that electric fan really keep the engine cool? I only ask because I ran a V8 with half that horsepower. I tried many variations to cool it, but nothing would until I went with a factory mechanical setup and relocated the AC condenser under the belt. It was fine around town, but on the freeway, especially uphill, the temperature would continue to climb.

Riley ... well 1st off I'm not in the desert like you so that helps, but no this thing sits at 185 all day
Cheers
Steve

I really like my HDX in my -40. I only wish DD had taken the time to realize that the tach and speed ranges are ridiculous for a FJ40.

I'll be putting a 1HZ diesel in my -40 shortly and the 4k redline means that the DD gauge will barely travel through 90° of arc making quick RPM id more difficult than needed. The same, to a lesser degree, applies to the speedo; a 160mph speedometer is just silly in a -40.

I've thought about calling to see if they could reprogram the steppers and apply a new silkscreened face to my unit... but if I have to ask, I probably can't afford it. :)

View attachment 1823000

I agree with the sweep ranges. I called DD today and talked to Cameron, in sales. Just to confirm your statement "if I have to ask, I probably can't afford it." It is a $250.00 upgrade.... On the plus side, it doesn't matter what speed or rpm you want. And an 8 week lead time. Just thougtht you would like to know.

I agree with the sweep ranges. I called DD today and talked to Cameron, in sales. Just to confirm your statement "if I have to ask, I probably can't afford it." It is a $250.00 upgrade.... On the plus side, it doesn't matter what speed or rpm you want. And an 8 week lead time. Just thougtht you would like to know.

Oh hell,
I may just do that. I will eventually want to send the unit back for an ODO reset once the engine is rebuilt anyway. Thanks for posting an update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom