Dakota Digital Voltage Reading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
With a Dakota Digital instrument cluster, what is the normal voltage reading at operating speed? Ours is consistently reading over 15v with headlights on. I’ve read Rudy’s excellent write/up on voltage regulators Voltage Regulator (ext.) / How it works - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/voltage-regulator-ext-how-it-works.747718/

We have a new Denso OEM alternator and VR. But before I try adjusting the VR, I wanted to see if this is within normal operating range. I don’t want to cook the battery or worse.
Thanks.

IMO thats too high, first thing i'd do is verify that reading with a good meter at the batt with lights on ?
Whats it read with lights off ?

I’ll take some readings this afternoon.

14.4 is high enough. +1 check with a known accurate meter. Make sure all the connections are clean.

Measured the voltage at battery with RPM's at 1500 or so...it was around 15.5-15.7 headlights on. So I removed the voltage regulator and adjusted it on the work bench per the FSM and Rudy's great thread. It took a couple of tries to dial it in. First go around lowered a bit too much. The second try seems about right at 14.75. Might still be on the high side but I think that I'll call it good for now.

Nice. Any photos?
Sorry, no photos. It was one of those deals where I kept thinking "I should stop and take some pics" but alas I guess I was too lazy to walk the short distance to retrieve the cell phone. I think that the fiddliest part was removing the cover off of the VR. There are 2 little tabs on the cover that have to be bent or pried upwards over the prongs on the case. The adjustment itself doesn't really lend itself to fine tuning because the arm is fairly stout to bend with a pair of needle nose pilers. So, it is more of a trial and error type of deal with each trial involving connecting and disconnecting the 3 wires o the 3 M4 screws on the VR.

Sorry, no photos. It was one of those deals where I kept thinking "I should stop and take some pics" but alas I guess I was too lazy to walk the short distance to retrieve the cell phone. I think that the fiddliest part was removing the cover off of the VR. There are 2 little tabs on the cover that have to be bent or pried upwards over the prongs on the case. The adjustment itself doesn't really lend itself to fine tuning because the arm is fairly stout to bend with a pair of needle nose pilers. So, it is more of a trial and error type of deal with each trial involving connecting and disconnecting the 3 wires o the 3 M4 screws on the VR.

Nice. Any photos?

1699100210734.jpeg

Stock pic “Bean”…but, pretty sure it looked like this..

Not digital so EMP resistant, the old school has something going for it. I like the one wire self exciters myself.

EMP haha. Who needs electric anyway - get a diesel and park on a hill if it gets that bad.

Last edited:
Love that Dakota Digital Display... I have been looking at that one myself. What does the "Fuel 39" mean in the center display? Also, what does the "3" on the top to the right of the RPM arch lights mean??

Thanks. I've been pleased with the DD. "Fuel 39" means roughly 39% full. There is also a more conventional fuel gauge on the far left in the stock location. The "3" on the top is where I set the redline. If I exceed 3,000 RPM it will alarm. The great thing about the DD's is the flexibility to set them up how ever you like.

Thanks. I've been pleased with the DD. "Fuel 39" means roughly 39% full. There is also a more conventional fuel gauge on the far left in the stock location. The "3" on the top is where I set the redline. If I exceed 3,000 RPM it will alarm. The great thing about the DD's is the flexibility to set them up how ever you like.

The DD really is a nice piece of kit..💯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom