The (failed) Moonshine Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should be easier to see the layout with some textures added:

Can you add me a guest suite, while you have her apart?

This whole thing is absolutely INSPIRING!!

It inspires me to never buy an old camper, too.

Johny has inspired me to get off my ass and start building my 24ft car hauler into a car hauler/ camping trailer. I am not in too much of a hurry. Just have to have it ready in 2 years when I semi- retire and hit the road.

Keep up the good work and inspiration. Let me know when u start wiring. I want to help so I can get an idea of what and how to do mine.

Old campers are the best campers. Ours is 45 years old!
View attachment 1988517View attachment 1988520View attachment 1988521

Did you (or a PO) renovate the interior? Care to share some interior pics?

The aluminum skin makes airstreams (and similar) much more resilient to weather and time than other designs. Beat old airstreams still command big $$ from what I've seen, and new ones are $$$$, so that's a deterrent. That being said, it's hard to get cooler than a classic airstream :grinpimp:

Did you (or a PO) renovate the interior? Care to share some interior pics?

The aluminum skin makes airstreams (and similar) much more resilient to weather and time than other designs. Beat old airstreams still command big $$ from what I've seen, and new ones are $$$$, so that's a deterrent. That being said, it's hard to get cooler than a classic airstream :grinpimp:
The exterior is much more impressive than the interior. We have done some renovations, but much of it is original 1974. Everything still works so it’s hard to justify messing with it. Used Airstreams greater than 25’ are much cheaper than the small ones. Ours is a 29 footer and we didn’t pay much for it. I don’t have any interior pics, but I’ll take some for you later. Problem is it stays stacked full of camping gear when not in use.

I had a thought this morning on my way to work. It's ironic that this camper was dubbed "The Moonshine Motel" by @Fort Knox a month or two ago. With this new floorplan, I will be removing 90% of what's left of the original camper in favor of new structure, so it really will be like moonshine :lol:

The sawhorses needed to be moved from where they were previously, which was underneath the original camper floor. Since that original floor is being removed, the camper needed to be supported along the entire length, and out to the edges, where the new walls will be framed. Piece of cake, right?

I built the sawhorses for the width of the original camper, which means they needed to be widened to about 8'. From there, beams had to be run between, to provide even support. 2x6s and 2x4s seem to be doing the trick. Lifting the camper with floor jacks was sketchy though.

From there, the front panel had to be removed to rework some structure there, where the floor ties in. Not a big deal. Cabover is held up with a 2x3 post because there's no framing behind it to hold it up right now.

Also pulled out an interior panel on the driver's side to rebuild the framing there.

Plan to have some framing progress done tonight. Stretch goal is to have the passenger side framed out and braced tonight, so I can continue cutting out the old floor. Once both sides are framed out, we badly need some site cleanup, lol.

At least you've had the weather cooperate lately!

I'm in awe of the work you've done and it seriously will be not much left of the original...craziness. You could go into the camper refurb business after this!

Holy s***balls dude!! It is kinda funny, the parallel between the camper and Moonshine. Every time I turn around, you're removing more of the original camper. Pretty soon, you'll start removing stuff and be like "Oh wait......I put that in. Why am I replacing that?"

Hope that helps if you need any supplies dude.

More old s*** gone, more new framing in. One bite at a time.

Rest of the old camper gone, new floor in progress. 3/8 glued and screwed, 3/4 goes on top of that to make the floor solid. Both are exterior rated sheathing.

I'm hoping that the framing will go a bit faster now that I don't have any old camper to work around.

:lol: the camper ended up being a $650 template.

IMG_20190601_160055.jpg

MVIMG_20190601_160105.jpg

Had a very productive weekend. The framing is largely done, and we even started putting skins on today!

Front wall framing done, epoxied osb replaced, 3/4 ply floor glued and screwed, driver wall framed except for the window horizontals, passenger side framed, back bulkhead framed, rear seating area framed, and one sheet of skin on. Felt damn good to make progress.

IMG_20190609_170617.jpg

MVIMG_20190609_170609.jpg

IMG_20190609_170626.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom