The (failed) Moonshine Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
EDIT; this whole thing was a failure, lol. Stay tuned for the new direction. These first nine pages should serve as a lesson to any and all looking to buy a used camper, especially an old one.

This is the new moonshine motel. Go to this thread to see the build for this new trailer/camper.

PXL_20210130_153152138.jpg

Picked up this not-so-cherry camper for $650 this past weekend. Have been thinking about getting into the camper game for the better part of a year, and figured this would be a good starter platform. Story goes some guy bought it new, used it for a while, stored it in the woods for 20 years where the roof leaked. Roof was sealed up, sold to the guy I bought it from, and it stayed dry inside afterwards. The guy i bought it from said that recently the front window started leaking, lol.

The jacks you see in the pics are super sketchy, and appear to be made out of trailer jacks. They're way too sloppy for this application. Maybe with bushings or something I can get them to lift straight, but I'm not sure. We'll revisit that later.

Built some super sawhorses to support this thing while we work on it.

As you can see, we started tearing off the front metal to see what needs to be done. Not a whole lot of wood left in the front panel, but it's not a lost cause yet.

So, that's the intro. This is where I'll document my adventures with this thing. Going to mod it a bit to fit the flatbed better, put solid wood back where sponges now reside, and reskin it top to bottom. Once she's sealed up tight, I'll move on to interior.

I need more projects like I need a hole in the head, I know, but I think this will be a game changer for us.

Last edited:
If you end up finding something on the roof needing re sealing I’d suggest Henry’s tropicool we used it in our pop up camper sealing everything up and it has held up great.

Thanks man!! I will definitely be reskinning the roof, have been looking at the EPDM products that come in big rolls. Want to get the front structure repaired first.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Came in thinking you had bought some old Cadillac that had been frankenmodded into a camper

:lol:

We need some interior pics

Last edited:
Consider skinning it with 1/4” Luanne with a coat of monstaliner. Light, strong and cheap. Would look pretty good too.

Cool stuff!!

You keeping the exterior siding and going "retro/vintage" - paint? TBD?

TBD. Depends on if/how rotted the side walls are. If they're bad enough when I get in there, then we might go full nuclear option.

Full nuclear looks amazing, but that looks like more than a resto mod. :)

Wouldn't it have been better to custom build one to take full advantage of spacing and storage opportunities unique to your truck?

$650 would have bought the raw frame and shell materials.

When is the last time you bought steel? 1995? :lol:

Few reasons:
  1. Bringing it out west in a few months. Not enough time to build a custom camper before then.
  2. Not 100% that this will be the permanent solution for us. Using this camper will help us decide if this is the route we want. If it is, I'll build the new camper, transplanting some of the stuff from this one to the new one.

When is the last time you bought steel? 1995? :lol:

Few reasons:
  1. Bringing it out west in a few months. Not enough time to build a custom camper before then.
  2. Not 100% that this will be the permanent solution for us. Using this camper will help us decide if this is the route we want. If it is, I'll build the new camper, transplanting some of the stuff from this one to the new one.

This makes sense. With limited time for prep for ur trip ur better off patching this one up. If it turns out to you want to go a different route u won’t feel bad about spending too much time designing and building one from scratch or more important sometimes, u won’t regret having spent a s*** ton more money doing it.

Have you ever considered starting a thread with a title like “why my neighbors think I’m cool”

Johnny could pull that off . .and prolly you Adam - if you have neighbors (not sure).

Some of us, if trying some of this, would be "How I lost a finger and my Wife in the same year"

Have you ever considered starting a thread with a title like “why my neighbors think I’m cool”

:lol: we bring them cookies around the holidays. It goes a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom