The canal boat (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya but it's, in my opinion, the only bumper made for these that looks good.

Purely opinion of course.
1658458980294.png

I took the kids on. A small adventure today.

We took nf18 and nf17 through some smaller hills.

We started at an elevation of 450 feet and climbed to 3000ish feet. Slow climb, land cruiser spent the entire climb with the converter unlocked. It was about 14 miles of climbing. I saw a high of 210* on the trans. If I put it in low range I could drive fast enough to lock the converter and temps dropped to 160* and stayed there.

Once we leveled out, even unlocked the trans never hit 190 again. Once we started back down the hill it sat around 150*.

In previous attempts to make this trek the trans temp light would come on within 2-3 miles and i would have to spend the entire drive in low range.

All in all we covered about 60 miles of back roads today in a good shake down. The 80 has finally made me confident I can take it anywhere.

We found a clearing with some trees and I showed my daughter how to use the winch in a basic capacity.

The bumper is on the truck and I couldn't be happier with how it looks. I'm waiting for dark so I can see how the fog lights look.

20220722_152717.jpg
20220722_151552.jpg
20220722_151424.jpg
20220722_153418.jpg
20220722_153655.jpg

Made a 350 mile drive. Mostly highway but we were in the mountains. Sea level to 4000 feet and back down. Got home and fueled up.

18.85 mpg. I'm never not amazed and how this performs.

Last edited:
In preparation for a big round of pm I pulled the air filter today to see if it was washable and it's not.

So I ordered a new filter and fuel filter from the Toyota dealer. Next time I'll order online and go pick it up.

$61 online and $87 at the dealer. Same dealer. Kind of ****ing annoying.

Trucks just about due for oil change. Oil filter. Air filter cleaning. Both axles getting drained.

When I took the airbox apart I noticed the tract was pretty oily so I cleaned it all up.

And I finally put a stock steering wheel in it.

20220729_064043.jpg
20220729_070526.jpg

Alright.

First off, I wanna shout out the discount tire in Marysville Washington.

FedEx said the wheel was out for delivery so I dropped off my tire.

Called at 430 to see if it was ready and they said FedEx claimed it was delivered but wasn't. They said FedEx was sending another truck and that if it didn't show up he'd mount it on a 16*8 he had in stock and would do it for free until my wheel showed up. I had told him I needed the rig back pretty bad and he was being helpful. Completely unnecessary but inwas so thankful.
FedEx got my wheel there around 5.

No, it doesn't match. Frankly I'm so deep in this I didn't feel like spending the money on a full set today. I'll get another 3 wheels soon and I'll buy a 5th tire to mount on one of my old wheels as a spare.

The new wheel is a -12 offset compared to a 0 offset on the old wheels. I am pretty happy with the tires being pushed out a little.

This is what was left of the old wheel.
Looks like they've been on the rig forever
20220804_175445.jpg
20220804_175430.jpg

The new wheel and the offsets compared.
The curbside wheel is the new one obviously(in the offset pictures)
20220804_174634.jpg
20220804_174203.jpg
20220804_174212.jpg

More negative offset not only looks better but also offers noticeable stability improvements.

I decided after being stuck again today I'd take inventory of the comedy of errors this trucks become.

Mid December - stranded in a parking lot after limping off the freeway. Converter failed. Had trans rebuilt.

End of December. Lost lock up. Made it home but truck went to trans shop on a wrecker.

End of February - locked up the brakes in an ice storm and bonked a box van.

Memorial day weekend - trans over heated 200 miles from home, puked its guts all over the place. Came home on a trailer.

Last weekend of August - brake caliper comes loose and smashed my wheel. Came home on a wrecker

Second weekend in August - ignition switch connection decided to not be connected. Stranded for 5 hours while I troubleshoot and wait for a trailer. My buddy was at Seafair and i was 120 miles from home.

Guess who's getting AAA...

It's been another 5000 km so I changed the oil today and swapped out the oil filter.
It's still not using oil between changes with the delvac. The Blackstone looked good. And it's only $11 a gallon. So I'll keep running it.

New Toyota fuel filter went in.

Also I swapped in a new washable air filter. The old one was non washable and looking tired anyways.

20220809_072505.jpg
20220809_072518.jpg

I needed to rotate tires so while I had them off I checked the lh caliper bolts. They were both tight, but I pulled them and added some loctite before retorquing them. I also checked the torque on my knuckle stud nuts. One was about an 1/8th turn from torque spec the rest all clicked with no movement.

20220809_080622.jpg

Is this was able air filter sold by Toyota? It looks like the old one.

Post the part number please.

I've had mine re-done, and they still leak. I sat on my ass regarding this issue all summer. I suspect it's the louvers with mine, and I have them in hand, but I still need to do a definitive leak test. There's a secondary part (duct) behind the louvers that I still don't fully understand since I've never taken that stuff apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom