The canal boat (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made rev 0 of a gauge pod.

I think I'm going to do a revision and tilt it back slightly.

The extra hole is for my eventual addition of a pyrometer.

20220716_161247.jpg
20220716_165454.jpg
20220716_175237.jpg
20220716_175243.jpg
20220716_191621.jpg

So I've driven enough miles to get a grasp on "normal" trans temps with my setup.

I see 130-140 cruising in the freeway with the converter locker.

Driving around town with the converter unlocked i see 150-160.

I pulled a few pretty aggressive hills with the converter unlocked and touched 175. But as soon as the converter locks at the top it plummets back down.

It's been mid 70s

I’m surprised to read that you lost TC lock up going up hill unloaded. Isn’t one big advantage of a six cylinder diesel the ability to lock the TC sooner and keep it locked much more of the time than a gas powered rig, as in up hills making it more efficient and better suited to working hard while keeping trans temps down?

I’m surprised to read that you lost TC lock up going up hill unloaded. Isn’t one big advantage of a six cylinder diesel the ability to lock the TC sooner and keep it locked much more of the time than a gas powered rig, as in up hills making it more efficient and better suited to working hard while keeping trans temps down?

The converter only locks in fourth gear.
So as soon as it down shifts it unlocks.

The speed limit is 40 mph on said hill. So I'm not going fast enough to hold over drive.

If i was going say 70 and hit the hill i have no doubt i could pull it in fourth.

Last edited:
As part of the warranty the trans shop wanted to see the canal boat after some miles.
I took down this am. They drove it. Pulled the pan and checked fluid. Said everything looks great. I finally feel pretty confident.

My bumper and fog lights are on the way.

image0.jpeg

As part of the warranty the trans shop wanted to see the canal boat after some miles.
I took down this am. They drove it. Pulled the pan and checked fluid. Said everything looks great. I finally feel pretty confident.

My bumper and fog lights are on the way.

View attachment 3062897
Holy ****ing s*** congrats!

Ya but it's, in my opinion, the only bumper made for these that looks good.

Purely opinion of course.
Glad it finally came in for you.

I have a Warn 9500 and think that I will go bigger next time. I smoked it in deep snow a few years ago and then rebuilt it. When the pig is really stuck, a snatch block should be used with a 9.5. An M12 would be my choice.

I have a Warn 9500 and think that I will go bigger next time. I smoked it in deep snow a few years ago and then rebuilt it. When the pig is really stuck, a snatch block should be used with a 9.5. An M12 would be my choice.
You wheel a lot harder than I ever will so that makes aense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom