Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As for understanding construction, that's how I put myself thru college.

I relate to this completely!:cheers:

P.S. I get along with and like architects because I appreciate what they do...

One of my pet peeves with the state of architectural education (past tense? Dunno what is taught today...) is that many do not even get an idea of swinging a hammer or running a handsaw... Other nations require interns to spend a minimum amount of time in construction. Today it seems the presto 'magikal' computer will solve all. Old school hand drawn ink on mylar was respected, and time was taken to ensure quality results... Now I have seen ASR in two year old concrete which is part of a public funded building, gonna be some expensive O+M costs later. Land Cruisers on the other hand are well designed and built, with a stellar owners manual, prescriptive O+M procedures, and voilà 300000 miles is commonly achieved! I'm also a chair of the local planning and zoning board where sustainabilty policies are slowly being implemented. Education and outreach to the public regarding Ed Mazria's 2030 program is gaining acceptance, sloowly. As for PE, do you have a state req. for SE certs? PE only means one thing, (ME, EE, CivE, ChemE, PetrochemE means more to me than just PE) why is the infrastructure in this nation so crappy and failing?
Rant over, thanks for reading :rolleyes:

One of my pet peeves with the state of architectural education (past tense? Dunno what is taught today...) is that many do not even get an idea of swinging a hammer or running a handsaw... Other nations require interns to spend a minimum amount of time in construction. Today it seems the presto 'magikal' computer will solve all. Old school hand drawn ink on mylar was respected, and time was taken to ensure quality results... Now I have seen ASR in two year old concrete which is part of a public funded building, gonna be some expensive O+M costs later. Land Cruisers on the other hand are well designed and built, with a stellar owners manual, prescriptive O+M procedures, and voilà 300000 miles is commonly achieved! I'm also a chair of the local planning and zoning board where sustainabilty policies are slowly being implemented. Education and outreach to the public regarding Ed Mazria's 2030 program is gaining acceptance, sloowly. As for PE, do you have a state req. for SE certs? PE only means one thing, (ME, EE, CivE, ChemE, PetrochemE means more to me than just PE) why is the infrastructure in this nation so crappy and failing?

The sentiment in the engineering world is if you don't have a (PE) you are not an engineer, the only reason you'd need a PE in the engineering world is to sign and seal drawings period, mine expired a long time ago, been retired for ten years now, however, I'm still an engineer.

I here ya! I got my degree from the other Engineering School in GA, it was Southern Tech at the time. My degree is an actual Architectural Engineering Technology degree, which I was in the last class it was offered. With my AET degree, I had to take Concrete, Steel, Structural Analysis, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering design classes. Thus it was a course full of practical applications in the field of Architecture, sure is not taught in todays colleges......I'll digress, enough about me and more about my 40.........Tightened up my fan belts last night!

Yeah, back on topic! How did your son like being behind the wheel?

Yeah, back on topic! How did your son like being behind the wheel?

He was not apprehensive when I asked, "You want to give it a go?" I had taught him to drive it last summer, but that was on black-top and in the neighborhood. He enjoyed being off road, but couldn't get the feel of where all four tires were in relation to his sight/vision. I told him to look out the window at the front left tire. He said, "Yes sir, but that isn't the tire I'm worried about. It's the ones on the other side." All I could do was say, "Oh..." That will come with experience.

Did he like it? While on the way back home, he took my phone and sent all the photos I took of him behind the wheel to his phone. I can only surmise that he wanted to show his friends, or prove he could "One-Up" his big (well not really physically bigger, but older) sister.

I'd take that as, "Heck Ya he liked it." :steer:

Heh, heh, heh, get 'em at the right age and they're hooked for life.....

Here's one of my son wheeling my rig!.....I'll give him "Prop's." With it in 4-Low, we creeped all around this morning./QUOTE]

Looks like a great day of building memories for you and the boy! Thanks for sharing the pics

Rant on!
The state license board in Calif is sooo uplight! What is really comes down to is they want your $$$!!!
For an SE cert you need to be an PE.
Hopefully I'll be an SE by this time next year.
Sorry to regress...
My daughter loves to go wheelin too!!! I can't wait to teach her to drive it (another 5 yrs or so).

Yea, paperwerk, money, time, a sample of yur blood and a pubic hair... However, public safety is uno numero, with seismic and wind forces governing structure, I lean on you SE to CYA!
In other news, I renewed my arch licenses in two states, dropped ootah (cause I never go there)
And drove my rustytrusty forty around the block several times to clear the carbon.... roads here are one inch thick with ice.

He was not apprehensive when I asked, "You want to give it a go?" I had taught him to drive it last summer, but that was on black-top and in the neighborhood. He enjoyed being off road, but couldn't get the feel of where all four tires were in relation to his sight/vision. I told him to look out the window at the front left tire. He said, "Yes sir, but that isn't the tire I'm worried about. It's the ones on the other side." All I could do was say, "Oh..." That will come with experience.

Did he like it? While on the way back home, he took my phone and sent all the photos I took of him behind the wheel to his phone. I can only surmise that he wanted to show his friends, or prove he could "One-Up" his big (well not really physically bigger, but older) sister.

I'd take that as, "Heck Ya he liked it." :steer:

That's cool that he learned to drive a stick. Taught my son to drive in my '51 GMC Pickup last summer when he was 12. It was modified with an automatic, but I'll get him in the FJ40 as soon as it is drivable. Four in the floor, the way God intended it.

Because of this thread, which has some good bezel info, I just replaced these squished OEM bezel rubber spacers.
IMG_1598.JPG

With this...some extra 5/16" fuel line I had in my stash, cut to 1/2" lengths...A $0.00 dollar non OEM upgrade I can definitely live with, thanks to some informative and frugal MUD members.
IMG_1600.JPG

Never knew there was to be a space between the bezel and bib. Have a look at my new 5mm (+/-) bezel spacing.
IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

Last edited:
American ingenuity!:bounce2:

But wasn't it once owned by Jon Voight?

There was a pencil in the center console with, what is believed to be, Voigt's teeth marks...never proven as Vandelay was exposed as an Anti-Dentite. (Hijack over)

Installed a new NAPA fan belt for my Atlernator-A/C-Water Pump & Crank.....And now my Amp meter is working, more properly? How does changing a fan belt make the Amp Meter go from barely registering amps back to the battery to working more properly like Rudi's video?

Funny thing, when I got the old belt off, its shape was distorted. I can only surmize this distortion in the belt caused the issues?

None the less, I guess my 40 seems to like the new belt. :D

Installed a new NAPA fan belt for my Atlernator-A/C-Water Pump & Crank.....And now my Amp meter is working, more properly? How does changing a fan belt make the Amp Meter go from barely registering amps back to the battery to working more properly like Rudi's video?

Funny thing, when I got the old belt off, its shape was distorted. I can only surmize this distortion in the belt caused the issues?

None the less, I guess my 40 seems to like the new belt. :D

Did you use the green ones? They're awesome. @FJ40Jim posted somewhere that these trucks don't always run well with the thin car type belts. They need thick V belts that take up the whole groove in the pulleys. So that's what I did.

image.jpg

Did you use the green ones? They're awesome. @FJ40Jim posted somewhere that these trucks don't always run well with the thin car type belts. They need thick V belts that take up the whole groove in the pulleys. So that's what I did.

View attachment 1022464

Due to the aftermarket CCOT A/C unit, the wide fan belts that typically fit our 40's doesn't work on that pulley of my rig. I had to go with the XL 25-9580 NAPA belt. I am looking to see if I can replace the pulley/clutch on my CCOT A/C unit for one that has the wide groove pulley. I think another option is to get the 3 belt pulley from an FJ60 and rework the brackets. I believe the inner pulley of the FJ60 is for a thin belt? :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom