Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AC0D2590-A936-413C-98F9-9415E885B24E.jpeg

I won. 💪

Cheers

I cannot believe the places the rust is hidden. This project has ruined me for body restoration... I'll never be satisfied with sand blasting again after what I've seen here.

7F9218D9-11EF-4588-891F-E16DFEBE0227.jpeg
FCE58CDE-9073-42CB-B2D0-C61B68D3ACB8.jpeg

4-6 layers in some of these areas. Pillars come down and tie the crossmember together at the body mount. All right behind the rear wheel well where it gets plastered with everything. Strong design but not the best for corrosion resistance.

Cheers

Good thing that truck didn't live in New York. Only the memories would be left. :lol:

I am in awe of your persistence. :clap::clap: Most mortals would have abandoned this project after what you've found.

Are there plans for a "whole body" treatment--i.e. dip the body or galvanize it or anything--to ensure the rust never returns?

I am in awe of your persistence. :clap::clap: Most mortals would have abandoned this project after what you've found.

Are there plans for a "whole body" treatment--i.e. dip the body or galvanize it or anything--to ensure the rust never returns?

Seam sealer, high quality epoxy primer and top coat should keep everything good. Also, POR15 in all of these trouble areas.

I considered dipping the body but it should be fine using the products above. I'm not ruling it out though.

I have gone in deep.

F905DAEC-743E-4D57-953F-97B12F2F62C1.jpeg

So many reinforcements here where the crossmember ties in and they all come together at the body mount. Like I say, 4-6 layers in some areas and the cancer is rooted in it. I finally have got it opened up good and am proceeding with peeling back the last few layers and than start fabricating new pieces.

Cheers

Because of all these pics, every time I look at my Troopy I don't see anything but the insides of all the panels and the rust that most likely is lurking :(

I can't stop looking at them...amazing work.

Because of all these pics, every time I look at my Troopy I don't see anything but the insides of all the panels and the rust that most likely is lurking :(

I can't stop looking at them...amazing work.

Maybe not since it's a ME rig.

Now, if you bought a 70 from Australia or south of the boarder, I would steer clear of this thread. Ignorance is bliss. If you follow Rust Werx on IG you'll see 79s and 78s in worse shape, that's scary.

Well I'll have to look at Rust Werx. I love seeing rust....in pictures and on other people's build threads. :)

I have a feeling my truck is solid....I can't find a lick of rust anywhere. Maybe I'm not looking too hard though....on purpose of course.

It hides real well in some places on these trucks. There is a drain hole in one of these reinforcing pieces that doesn’t drain anywhere, it just allows crap to build up deep down where I have cut it open. Also driving down dusty roads, dust will build up over time to become piles of dirt deep in here too. Add some moisture and you got rust.

But ya, Cruiser seen any salt, it will likely be worse in here.

It is the same thing with how the rockers are designed and also the firewall where to body mount is. They are debris/moisture traps, hard to clean even if people did that regularly.

Cheers

Pictures of what I am talking about.

This is a reinforcement that is inside the pillar. The hole can not be accessed from top, bottom or sides when the cap I drilled off is on.

E5F53248-C2DF-454E-9D14-569BB2DBAD12.jpeg

The reinforcement panel also ties in the door mounts, in fact this particular one the nuts are welded to it for mounting the door hinges. It runs all the way down the pillar between layers and ties the rocker and bottom of pillar together right below the body mount. You can also see down where my finger is an additional reinforcement is welded in here and that one wraps around the floor crossmember.

F37C6E38-852A-42A6-8189-A971EB71EB29.jpeg

Here is where the hollow portion goes solid, that’s a drain hole there. Things is it has nowhere to drain because it’s sandwiched here too. The top layers block any drainage and it just sits between the layers.

EC1383F6-0F76-412F-8341-0DADA4153499.jpeg

Anyways just trying to show how the trucks go together, it’s not often a person has this apart and can show in pics. There is no way though you will get fluid film or anything else inside this area without taking it apart.

We have decided to go for it and fix these areas and panels vs buying new ones and going in much deeper. I will be forming and making the pieces and sealing it up as best as possible.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sir, what brand is your spot weld drill bits?
Thanks,
Mike

Sir, what brand is your spot weld drill bits?
Thanks,
Mike

Here is a normal spot weld bit you would use in a drill.

74A3A708-8AE2-405D-838A-9ED56DC6AB99.jpeg

I am not using those. I bought this instead.

632F6D50-4169-41B8-907E-9FB148214ADD.jpeg

It uses this type of bit, these are just Eastwood.

58F69132-6B53-4D97-A147-3763E5B8F963.jpeg

Cheers

Finally put this to use.

83D64D9F-3406-4492-B095-7C9AC868C2AD.jpeg

It took some work to get this out.

3C89DE85-BB23-4C24-A00B-D4F9FD301645.jpeg

Cleaned up, blasted, POR15 weld thru and ready to start doing repairs.

FA4059C3-326F-4D80-87FF-FA396684BE8A.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom