Talk me out of trading in my 2013 for a 2021! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was it all that low end torque plus the brake-grabbing traction control that did it in?
I don’t know. But clearly something is badly designed…it should not have broke over that simple terrain.

Just curious, why the step backwards?
Is it a step backwards? Sideways maybe? I like my 200, and I’m not trading my built 200 for a new GX550, but if my truck was suddenly totaled it would be a consideration. The GX would tow my 6000# trailer and handle the San Juan off-roading I like to do. I’m not trying to push the limits of my truck - the enjoyment for me is a moderate challenge sure but mainly it’s getting to see cool sh*t in places few others go. A basically stock 200 did The Maze with me last year, and I’m quite sure the stock GX would do equally well, even on the trickier stuff leading into the dollhouse. A few mods and it would be just as capable as a 200.

I’ve got 150k on my LC. I’m the last 6 months I’ve dropped about $6k on it for a new steering rack and a leaky valley plate. Truck is most good but has the timing chain tensioner rattle and a leaky timing cover, which will be another $3k. It also has this occasional clunk shifting from 2-1 which might be U joints or something else, but no mechanic has figured it out, so I’m living with that until the issue is obvious, which like the chain rattle might be years. So the LC is great, and it’s paid for and built now, but it’s not a flawless unicorn that will go 500k miles without lots of maintenance.

giphy.gif
My 2013 has 120k miles, no real issues, but I saw a ‘21 for $73k. I think I can get around $30k for my LC leaving 43k. Tell me the newer transmission, bigger brakes, better infotainment, 360 cam isn’t worth it. Please.

Is it a step backwards? Sideways maybe? I like my 200, and I’m not trading my built 200 for a new GX550, but if my truck was suddenly totaled it would be a consideration. The GX would tow my 6000# trailer and handle the San Juan off-roading I like to do. I’m not trying to push the limits of my truck - the enjoyment for me is a moderate challenge sure but mainly it’s getting to see cool sh*t in places few others go. A basically stock 200 did The Maze with me last year, and I’m quite sure the stock GX would do equally well, even on the trickier stuff leading into the dollhouse. A few mods and it would be just as capable as a 200.

I’ve got 150k on my LC. I’m the last 6 months I’ve dropped about $6k on it for a new steering rack and a leaky valley plate. Truck is most good but has the timing chain tensioner rattle and a leaky timing cover, which will be another $3k. It also has this occasional clunk shifting from 2-1 which might be U joints or something else, but no mechanic has figured it out, so I’m living with that until the issue is obvious, which like the chain rattle might be years. So the LC is great, and it’s paid for and built now, but it’s not a flawless unicorn that will go 500k miles without lots of maintenance.
Yeah, the whole it can go 300k with routine maintenance is a myth for all cars. My 2015 Acura MDX with the venerable 3.5L V6 did great……until around 125k….started to leak oil…..oil pan issue as well…..requiring $5k in repairs along with other stuff. The weird part…Acura MDX of those years is famous for auto transmission failure……when we sold the MDX at 175k miles, it was flawless. Go figure.

Basically all cars will age disgracefully. Just some more than others.

Well it’s definitely a step back in the durability department. 200s are overbuilt if anything, and that works great for someone like me that wants to run a 37 and basically abuse the truck. A GX couldn’t handle that abuse.
But if you don’t need the durability then sure, a GX550 will keep up with a 200 on the trails.
I just tend to get into a headspace sometimes where I think all Cruiser guys value durability plus reliability over everything else. I understand that’s not always the case though. Everyone is different.
And yeah. Every vehicle is gonna need maintenance to make 500k miles. I for one could honestly not afford my truck if I didn’t do my own work. I’d say the GX will definitely be more labor and maintenance intensive than my 13 LC after a certain age and mileage. But who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️
But at any rate a less durable platform isn’t for me and that’s why I say it would be a step backwards.
I realize that’s not the case with everyone though👍

BTW I see people talking about infotainment and that got me to thinking. I lost my amp back in 2020 at ATR due to water intrusion on a trail. Never have been able to source another amp. So I’ve been nearly 5 years without. So that stuff never crosses my mind either.
I realize I’m different 🤣

Waste of money, IMO. Re-starting again towards the top of the depreciation curve. I'd personally also be weary of anything built during the covid years for one-off issues. I'd keep your current rig. But I'm a thrifty guy, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Is it a step backwards? Sideways maybe?

In some aspects back, in some sideways, in some forwards... all depends on how one looks at it.

To some, its the GX might be a less durable platform so it could be a step back. To some, its a sideways move that offers similar towing capabilities. To others, it might be a step forward for the Lexus badge (while also being a step back to others, losing the Land Cruiser badge). @Madtiger might think the 13 LCs are too conservatively styled, while I think the 16s are overstyled.

Point is, the LC combines so many attributes and so many of us use our rigs differently. We don't all go rock crawling at moab every weekend nor did we all get the vehicle for its heritage, or "stealth wealth" aspect. Some of us did, but not all.

I think one would have to weigh what is important to them, their use, their budget, consider depreciation, maintenance (self or dealer), particular vehicles condition, etc and make the decision that is forward for them from there.

Last edited:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. :cheers:

If huge brakes are a concern spend $6000-$12,000 and get a BBK with floating rotors and titanium hardware. Stay with what you have now something tells me If you get rid of the 200 you will regret it.

If huge brakes are a concern spend $6000-$12,000
Or spend ~$350 on 2017 Tundra parts (used eBay calipers, new lines, new OEM pads) for the front brakes. Night and day difference, and you’ve got money left over for front and rear bumpers.

It’s all in the threads. RWs fit.

Stock lines, must drill knuckle, which is easy with the right tools

No knuckle mods, must change lines

Would it be easier to just get all the parts from a 2016+ Land Cruiser?

Would it be easier to just get all the parts from a 2016+ Land Cruiser?
No, not when you consider the labor involved to swap all the parts over to the new knuckle vs simply enlarging two holes.

Plus, sourcing the 2016+ knuckle would be a whole lot more expensive. About $600/side on the discount sites. $800 msrp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom