Talk me out of trading in my 2013 for a 2021! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2013 has 120k miles, no real issues, but I saw a ‘21 for $73k. I think I can get around $30k for my LC leaving 43k. Tell me the newer transmission, bigger brakes, better infotainment, 360 cam isn’t worth it. Please.

The obvious answer is to use your kids' college money, take out a HELOC, and visit a loan shark if need be, in order to have both cruisers.

If I’m dropping 73k it’s for a GX550 Overtrail+. Just sayin’

If I’m dropping 73k it’s for a GX550 Overtrail+. Just sayin’
This. Or spend a fraction of it making your 13 better.

You can get the big brakes pretty cheap, and many prefer the 6spd anyway.

I think my 2013 plus my fractional improvements combined are probably somewhere around $73k. Or if my wife asks, $43k.

My 2013 has 120k miles, no real issues, but I saw a ‘21 for $73k. I think I can get around $30k for my LC leaving 43k. Tell me the newer transmission, bigger brakes, better infotainment, 360 cam isn’t worth it. Please.
Not a fan of the 8-speed programming, infotainment is still garbage, can’t tell my brakes are any bigger than any other vehicle when stopping. The 360 does get used often, though.

Did that help at all?

Who makes big brakes besides the tundra swap?

TALK ME OUT OF GETTING A GX550 Overtrail+!!!!!
Ok.

“You don’t need one so you should buy me a GX550 Overtrail+ instead?”

Did that work?

Well given how a recent Tacoma ADD grenaded on a simple trail....not sure if GX550 is THAT overbuilt...or maybe under-built?
Sure...see 2024 Tacoma front diff failed on a simple trail. The ADD failed in the front diff of Taco. Strange thing is.......20 Toyota engineers are examining it to see if that part needs to be redesigned.

Hmmmm...didn't any of those 20 engineers stress test the Taco off-road?!!

That type of mindless cheap engineering is why I have my doubts about the GX550 and LC250.

Go to 8:55 mark.

I guess Toyota don't test them like they used to....

Last edited:
Who makes big brakes besides the tundra swap?
Why do you need more than the tundra swap? The 2021 brakes are functionally identical to tundra parts.

FYI...not helping u...but 2021 has all the latest designs.... :)

For LC:

2020+: new front differential design…maybe better/stronger differential carrier??

2018+: KDSS bolt change, automatically power-folding outside mirrors, late-2018s have new radiator design, late-2018s have capacitive touch screen on center display, powered lift gate, non-mandatory rear entertainment, newer transmission software (flashable on 2016-2017), and new key (very cool) design.

2016+ LC also gains bigger front brakes, 8-speed auto, semi-aniline leather of the LX, and has better buttons arrangement than prior years.

The infotainment system on the ‘21 is beyond frustrating so you have to spend another grand for Apple car play

@PhillipPinot

The 3UR-FE is a well developed, naturally aspirated V8 with a legacy of durability (on 87 octane) as is the overall 200 Series platform. I plan to run mine into the ground and it will likely deal with it just fine for several 100k miles down the road.

I’m not yet sold on the long term reliability of the “hot V” twin turbo engine design and the MPG advantage isn’t big enough for me to be impressed.

Not saying I’ll never get a GX550, nor saying it will be unreliable. I’ll stick with a V8.

Last edited:
FYI...not helping u...but 2021 has all the latest designs.... :)

For LC:

2020+: new front differential design…maybe better/stronger differential carrier??

2018+: KDSS bolt change, automatically power-folding outside mirrors, late-2018s have new radiator design, late-2018s have capacitive touch screen on center display, powered lift gate, non-mandatory rear entertainment, newer transmission software (flashable on 2016-2017), and new key (very cool) design.

2016+ LC also gains bigger front brakes, 8-speed auto, semi-aniline leather of the LX, and has better buttons arrangement than prior years.
This did not help me at all

Why do you need more than the tundra swap? The 2021 brakes are functionally identical to tundra parts.
I don’t even know where to start or what to buy. The couple threads I read were debating whether to change the lines or not. Is there a consensus on what parts to buy? Also, do RW wheels still fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom