Talk me into buying a 200 series (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

changed driver and passenger front side windows for laminted LX570 windows
whoa…I talked about this in the past on this forum…you actually did it????!!!!

How?? Where did you get the glass? Was it an easy exchange? No mods needed?

@tacoduck @El Skywalker

This seat cover and a small portable shop vac keep our rear seats spotless. Best $30 I've spent right after adding the cooler tray.

1000008717.jpg

1000008715.jpg

whoa…I talked about this in the past on this forum…you actually did it????!!!!

How?? Where did you get the glass? Was it an easy exchange? No mods needed?
Bought driver and passenger glass from e-Bay at about $180/$185 each, including shipping. They are LX570 replacements, yet manufactured in China from two major car glass/window companies. They fit direct in the LC200 doors, lining up with the existing mechanism to move and fit in the existing window seals. While made in China they have been working fine and are way less critical than the windshield. Kept the old side windows, just in case. Do not think I in fact will need them.

For example;

1714170562688.png

About an hour work per side involving:
- lowering windows 80% so the two bolts to undo are at the bottom reachable through the door from the inside (after removal of the front load speaker, easy to do)
- remove door inner panel
- remove load speaker
- open up weather lining held in place by butyl (get some additional butyl sealant "tape" for reassembly)
1714174138915.png

- undo bolts
1714170471295.png

- 90 degr tilt the old window and lift out upwards
- install is reverse
- temporary attach window switches to check good free motion
1714170656871.png

- re install door lining (buy some extra clips in case the factory ones break)
1714174277709.png

Overall very easy, just do not drop the glass in the process although it will probably survive...

End result is good. Noise reduction marginal at best. Together with Dynamat in the inside of the doors (already done before this mod) it probably did make it overall slightly quieter.

The doors with the dynamat when you close them sounds like and feel like the eighties Merc E and S-classes so that certainly gives me a smile going in and out every time...

I would do it all again as I plan to keep this vehicle for 25 year + so whatever effort pays off in my mind.

Last edited:
The doors with the dynamat when you close them sounds like and feel like the eighties Merc E and S-classes so that certainly gives me a smile going in and out every time...

I am extremely intrigued by this.... Any pics or a thread on your dynamat install?

Best way to prevent puke on leather seat:
Bought driver and passenger glass from e-Bay at about $180/$185 each, including shipping. They are LX570 replacement, yet manufactured in China from two major car glass/window companies. They fit direct in the LC200 doors with mechanism to move and rubber seals as is.

About an hour work per side involving:
- lowering windows 80% so the two bolts to undo are at the bottom reachable through the door from the inside (after removal of the front load speaker, easy to do)
- removing door inner panel
- remove load speaker
- open up weather lining held in place by butyl (get some additional butyl strips for reassembly)
- undo bolts
- 90 degr tilt the old window and lift out upwards
- install is reverse
- temporary attach window switches to check good free motion
- re install door lining
Overall very easy, just do not drop the glass in the process although it will probably survive...

End result is good. Noise reduction marginal at best. Together with Dynamat in the inside of the doors (already done before this mod) it probably did make it overall slightly quieter.

I would do it all again as I plan to keep this vehicle for 25 year + so whatever effort pays off in my mind.
The LX glasses are double pane, right?

Best way to prevent puke on leather seat:

The LX glasses are double pane, right?
Yeah, laminated. Two thin windows with a plastic layer. Very close to the same thickness as the tempered version but better for sound dampening.

Two thoughts for what they are worth:
- Downside; While not a significant risk for me in Houston/Texas, the only downside is driving into deep water and trying to exit. Now the rear windows are tempered and can be broken. The windscreen and now front side windows not, although I understand the electrical opening mechanism should stay functionally for a bit after becoming submerged. In the end it is the same as a LX570 and I am fine with it.
- Upside; Any side impact will be better with laminated glass as it is stronger and will not come apart unless direct hit. This is arguable more important.

All in all I am happy I made this modification. Just need to get the tints re-done...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom