Talk me out of trading in my 2013 for a 2021! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The infotainment system on the ‘21 is beyond frustrating so you have to spend another grand for Apple car play
I thought our infotainment systems weren’t upgradable due to it controlling so many parts of the functions of the vehicle

Not a fan of the 8-speed programming, infotainment is still garbage, can’t tell my brakes are any bigger than any other vehicle when stopping. The 360 does get used often, though.

Did that help at all?
Yes it did help. Thank you!

This did not help me at all
OK...fine...here is something that sucks....range on my LC is 320 miles at best. (My F150 can do double that....)

I don’t even know where to start or what to buy. The couple threads I read were debating whether to change the lines or not. Is there a consensus on what parts to buy? Also, do RW wheels still fit?

It’s all in the threads. RWs fit.

Stock lines, must drill knuckle, which is easy with the right tools

No knuckle mods, must change lines

Thank you for the very detailed instructions, but it’s way out of my wheelhouse (I’m a hobbiest woodworker). Honestly, it doesn’t look too bad… you provided great videos and pics, I just don’t feel comfortable messing around the brakes on the family vehicle. I’ll just show this to a shop and see how much they charge. Thanks again!

Ps. This is what all my spare brain power is concentrated on. Lol
890C57E6-ECC2-41BB-82AA-85B42D3BC0FE.jpeg

Do it

16+ is the best looking 200.
You're not usually wrong Ryan, but.. 13 is the best looking 200 🍿🤣

In all seriousness, when we shopped for an LC, we were open to any year 200 and considered every option from $25k to $85k. We ended up getting a '13 a few years ago in the mid-high $60's since it included many standard features and we actually prefer the exterior styling of 13-15. The small stuff like the brakes upgrade is only $500, the new radiator is $220, we actually prefer the 6sp, the mpg and range is the same.. I think even if both were identically priced with similar miles, we would still choose the '13-15 over 16 and do the small upgrades. Hope that helps 🤣

Interesting dilemma, certainly a first world problem ;)

I must say am very happy with my 2021 LC200 and do not plan to sell it for the next 25 years. Just slowly build on it, knowing I can enjoy it for a long time.

What I like in specific of the 200 series:
- the more traditional Japanese Toyota looks compared to the latest Toyota creations
- the 2016+ head light styling leaning towards the awesome 80 series
- the 2016+ hood shape (i know, this is minor)
- the great V8 and the 8 speed which I leave in ECT mode and shifts with no issues
- the fact it was over designed by a big group of mostly Japanese engineers in Japan in the late nineties/early two thousands. Do not think any Hillbilly Engineer got involved in the 200 looking to add a bigger screen or car play or some fancy gear shifter or extravagant looks. Clearly the focus of the 200 series was to build a worthy 80 and 100 series successor to be the durable and capable ultimate King of all roads.

IMO Toyota with recent designs (Sequoia, Tundra, RAV4, Tacoma, GX550, LC Prado 250) is focused on styling, features and marketing. Nobody can blame them, but not clear yet they are build to last as long as before, time will tell of course. I recall Mercedes basically losing it in the late nineties and still are lost from otherwise awesome vehicle such as the W124 in the early nineties.

1710303647136.png

If they only build them this way in 2024, I would consider saving for one.

Clearly with a later model year you will be happy to know it can last another 300k miles+ or 15 to 20 years+

Regarding the GX550, it looks to me it is offering the Jeep/Bronco type "screaming" looks instead of being a more simple, understated and timeless design like the 100 and 200 series. It is also based on the lighter duty Prado line. Nothing wrong with that but for the same price you can buy the 200 series which probably will outlast the GX550. If however you really fancy the GX550 (all our tastes and likes differ, it is good we are all different), I would keep the 2013 LC200 and test drive a 3rd or 4th model year GX550, once they worked out the issues and dealers treat you normal again.

Good luck with the choice!

Last edited:
With the understated CBI bumper reducing the enormous hourglass grill, the 2016+ LX570 has real potential. In fact I would consider one beside the LC200 and build it per below.

View attachment 3580797
It’s also less expensive than the Toyota with the same mileage and year

Well I got a really good feeling that if I took the 37x13.50s off of my 200 and (somehow) bolted them onto a GX550 I would only make it about 100 yards down my favorite trail before a tie rod, steering rack, axle, or diff blew.
I feel this in my heart.

I’m sorry, but the LX, and any Lexus product is just butt ugly. As for 2013 vs 2021, I vastly prefer the looks of the 2013. And I own a 2020. The 2013 is more true to the original design of the 200, whereas the 2016+ just made it look worse. I mean it’s still a LC and it’s newer so it’s technically “better” but if I could swap the aesthetics for an earlier model 200 I would. At 100k miles, I’d say keep your 2013 and enjoy it.

I’m sorry, but the LX, and any Lexus product is just butt ugly. As for 2013 vs 2021, I vastly prefer the looks of the 2013. And I own a 2020. The 2013 is more true to the original design of the 200, whereas the 2016+ just made it look worse. I mean it’s still a LC and it’s newer so it’s technically “better” but if I could swap the aesthetics for an earlier model 200 I would. At 100k miles, I’d say keep your 2013 and enjoy it.
Nah older LX and LC look too much like Highlander. That is not “original design,” that is just conservative lazy design team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom