Talk me into buying a 200 series (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need either convincing or clarity. I’ve always been drawn to land cruisers. Was incredibly bummed when they stopped making them in ‘21 (I’m in US). When they said they were coming out with a new one in ‘24 I was over the moon. Then when I saw the specs, I was bummed again. I want a roomy 3 row suv. Initially I thought well I guess I’ll get a new sequoia, but then I feel they s*** the bed on the new design there, too. Namely, the rear cargo area and awkward shelf thing. So I started looking 2018-2021 LCs. Also started looking at ‘21-‘22 sequoias ( I like the fact that rear cargo lays flat, and the rear window roll down feature is cool too).

I have 2 kids. 4.5 and 2 years old, a wife, and a 50lb dog. I want a vehicle that will stand the test of time. Maybe one my kids can learn to drive in.

I’m torn. I found a 2018 LC with 40k miles for $72k. Looks clean. Also found a ‘22 sequoia with 23k miles for $53k. I need help w my decision. LC or Sequoia? I realize I’m posting in a LC enthusiast forum, but would love to hear enthusiasts opinion on my situation. If I’m honest, I probably won’t ever go off-roading in either vehicle, maybe once or twice but I don’t see it becoming a thing I do. I will go to the mountains occasionally to snowboard, so the 4x4 capability will be nice to have peace of mind in the snow. Sequoia seems a bit bloated design wise. Haven’t driven one yet, but It’s a big vehicle. When I I test drove a ‘21 Land Cruiser HE it didn’t feel too big. Felt just right. Didn’t mind the older tech, as I currently drive a 2014 Mazda cx5 and I don’t know what new tech feels like. I actually liked the “older” feel of the LC. I’m having trouble psychologically with paying $72k for a 6 year old vehicle, or $90k for a 3 year old vehicle, like the LCs I’ve seen so far. I also realize the LCs are special, have a cult following, and hold their value really well.

So do I spend the money on an older 2018 LC? With all the cool off road stuff I won’t use, plus the luxury feel of it, cool factor, “stealth wealth” and all that? Or spend 20k less on a clean sequoia with the roominess, fold flat 3rd row, with rear window roll down feature?

I hate to admit it, but I’m having a midlife crisis I think. I’m torn between being stoked on a Land Cruiser that is unique, last of its kind, “if you know you know” mentality, and the reliable, perhaps slightly bloated, capable and dependable sequoia.

The two are not the same in many ways. If ou want it to last "forever" it is the LC. It is not the "legend" it is the reality of how they are designed and built. They do not use the same parts even if some may think otherwise given today platform and modular concepts in car design.

If you are looking for room, Sequoia is hands down the winer.

As for your use scenario both will cover.

If you have trouble swallowing the price of the LC, go hunt down an LX and save a bunch. Under the skin they are basically the same truck with some diffs like the suspension, and they do share a lot of parts and the platform. The LX is even a better match for your use with the silky-smooth suspension.

There is no shame on having a midlife crisis. We all go through it. If you have the money for any, go ahead and buy what will make you happy.

I feel that if you buy Sequoia, which is a great SUV in its own right (reliable, durable, roomy as heck, 2wd mode), then you will always have in the back of your head, “what if I bought LC….”

If you buy LC, then you likely won’t have the “what if…” thought.

Still 2018 LC with 40k for $72k is ridiculous pricing! My 2019 LC with 55k miles…heck if I can get $72k for it then I will sell it! 😂

Sequoias tend to have a steeper depreciation curve, even if you're buying at a lower price. I personally think the 2nd gen sequoia is the more practical vehicle for a growing family, and a great all-around truck, but I could never get past the bloated soccer-mom look. Can't go wrong with the LC, it's just a little overkill for family-hauling duty, although that's how the majority of them are used. I actually like the look of the new 3rd gen sequoia though, so I'd probably start there with your budget. You know you can remove the 3rd row seats and cargo shelf.

I will say, since you're planning on keeping it a long time, get whatever makes you feel good. As ultimately those feelings are what's going to make you keep the car for 20 years, not pure practicality (as long as there are no glaring practicality problems).

If you are not set on the Land Cruiser badge and know you won't miss out on it long term, it sounds to me an LX570 might be a better option for you. You still get all the durability of a Land Cruiser 200, but at a slightly lower entry cost. That said, I think if you are not really planning to do any sort of offroading, I think I would expand options to other a bit more family friendly vehicles.

Given your level of interest in a Land Cruiser, I’d suggest getting one, but not paying $72,000. Assuming you can look around a bit, find one less expensive. That’s a crazy price for one 6 years old; probably about what someone paid when new.

I own a 2016 Land Cruiser and I cross shopped the Sequoia when I bought in 2018. I didn’t need or want the size of the Sequoia with kids off at college, but at your stage the Sequoia would have been my choice.

The second generation Sequoia is a fantastic vehicle. Get a 2018 or later, they have the safety sense features and a better looking front end. The interior is very dated and the rear camera is tiny…but unlike my LC the radio is double DIN and separate from the climate control…this means you can replace with a big screen aftermarket radio with Apple CarPlay, and 360 degree camera system can be added. With LC the 360 cameras are standard on 2016+ but you can’t get CarPlay in any easy way. LC infotainment system sucks.

I love my LC and plan to keep it forever. But the third row sucks, it’s very uncomfortable, and it eats up storage space. The Sequoia has a fantastic third row that folds flat, and has much more room and storage space. The 4WD system in the second generation Sequoia is fantastic and far superior to the new Sequoia: 2WD, or on road 4WD with a center differential, or center locked 4WD for off road- it’s actually more flexible than the full time 4WD in the Land Cruiser.

Land Cruiser quality and reliability is legendary. But if cared for the Sequoia can last just as long. A friend has a gen 1 Sequoia from 2007 with 300k miles that is his daily driver and is completely reliable. They aren’t as fancy but they are very well made trucks.

If you are running off road trails the LC is the winner. But a 4WD Sequoia would make a fantastic camping vehicle, and with a longer wheelbase it probably tows better.

No wrong choice here. But look closely at storage space between the two. The LC is big on the outside but has surprisingly little space inside. Make sure it is adequate for your needs. A dog crate will gobble up space in a LC.

If I did not offroad I would not own a 200 series. It is great all-around, but the cargo room is basically equal to a 4Runner. For a small family, plan on a roof box on road trips. I run a roof box and two hitch boxes when traveling with 2 kids, wife and dogs. A 2nd gen Sequoia with no solid rear would likely ride better on the road. Our 23 Tundra is slowly becoming our road trip vehicle. Bigger gas tank, better mpg (21-22 on freeway) and lots of room. Planning to add a camper shell for the dogs with a pass through donut to the full roll-down cab window so the dogs have air.

Last edited:
I have 2 kids. 4.5 and 2 years old, a wife, and a 50lb dog. I want a vehicle that will stand the test of time. Maybe one my kids can learn to drive in.

For the amount of money you're ready to drop, and with a growing family with a not so small dog, I would steer into the newer gen Sequoia. Major reasons is that I think you'll need the room to eventually grow into (LC gets tight with a full family and dog). The bump in efficiency is also significant.

The value of the Land Cruiser is in its overbuilt nature, to be put to work and tackle adventure and off-road. At some point if you're not using that part of its capability, it'll just be a burden which you'll be reminded of every time you visit the gas station.

EDIT: great points @40Man that posted just before mine that I'm echoing.

I need either convincing or clarity. I’ve always been drawn to land cruisers. Was incredibly bummed when they stopped making them in ‘21 (I’m in US). When they said they were coming out with a new one in ‘24 I was over the moon. Then when I saw the specs, I was bummed again. I want a roomy 3 row suv. Initially I thought well I guess I’ll get a new sequoia, but then I feel they s*** the bed on the new design there, too. Namely, the rear cargo area and awkward shelf thing. So I started looking 2018-2021 LCs. Also started looking at ‘21-‘22 sequoias ( I like the fact that rear cargo lays flat, and the rear window roll down feature is cool too).

I’m torn. I found a 2018 LC with 40k miles for $72k. Looks clean. Also found a ‘22 sequoia with 23k miles for $53k. I need help w my decision. LC or Sequoia? I realize I’m posting in a LC enthusiast forum, but would love to hear enthusiasts opinion on my situation. If I’m honest, I probably won’t ever go off-roading in either vehicle, maybe once or twice but I don’t see it becoming a thing I do. I will go to the mountains occasionally to snowboard, so the 4x4 capability will be nice to have peace of mind in the snow. Sequoia seems a bit bloated design wise. Haven’t driven one yet, but It’s a big vehicle. When I I test drove a ‘21 Land Cruiser HE it didn’t feel too big. Felt just right. Didn’t mind the older tech, as I currently drive a 2014 Mazda cx5 and I don’t know what new tech feels like. I actually liked the “older” feel of the LC. I’m having trouble psychologically with paying $72k for a 6 year old vehicle, or $90k for a 3 year old vehicle, like the LCs I’ve seen so far. I also realize the LCs are special, have a cult following, and hold their value really well.

So do I spend the money on an older 2018 LC? With all the cool off road stuff I won’t use, plus the luxury feel of it, cool factor, “stealth wealth” and all that? Or spend 20k less on a clean sequoia with the roominess, fold flat 3rd row, with rear window roll down feature?

I hate to admit it, but I’m having a midlife crisis I think. I’m torn between being stoked on a Land Cruiser that is unique, last of its kind, “if you know you know” mentality, and the reliable, perhaps slightly bloated, capable and dependable sequoia.
The points made by others re: LX570 are generally true for 3 reasons
1) more of them = a bit better price
2) less likely to have been driven hard off road, or driven off road at all (soccer moms going to the mall)
3) more likely to have been dealership maintained; which at Lexus is usually a good thing, dealerships actually see more of them than Toyota dealerships see LCs

Given your level of interest in a Land Cruiser, I’d suggest getting one, but not paying $72,000. Assuming you can look around a bit, find one less expensive. That’s a crazy price for one 6 years old; probably about what someone paid when new.
Six years ago the economy and car market was very different, particularly pre-covid. I don't think what someone paid new for it is relevant today. IMO, its a good price considering the current market of similar spec'd LCs.

If I’m honest, I probably won’t ever go off-roading in either vehicle,

Get the Sequoia. I have both a 21 LC/HE and a 21 Sequoia. If you are not going off-road the Sequoia is the choice by far. It is a great touring vehicle for a family + dog.

Longest Lasting Vehicles, both are winners:

1. Toyota Sequoia

Potential lifespan: 296,509 miles

In a separate study, iSeeCars.com analyzed over 260 million cars sold between 2012 and 2022 to find the probability that a vehicle would make it more than 250,000 miles. They calculated average odometer readings for each vehicle at each yearly age to estimate the chances that a vehicle would last that long. The Sequoia came in with a 47.1% chance of going a quarter million miles.

2. Toyota Land Cruiser

Potential lifespan: 280,236 miles

The Land Cruiser indicated a 47.9% chance of lasting 250,000+ miles.

Last edited:
For the amount of money you're ready to drop, and with a growing family with a not so small dog, I would steer into the newer gen Sequoia.

NextGen Sequoia is unusable with 2 kids and a big dog.

My 21 Sequoia was supposed to be just a place holder till the NextGen came out, but when it came out it was a major disappointment for space. There is no place for a big dog or dog crate at all with the 3rd row and big shelf. Never mind your luggage. snowboards, etc.

The points made by others re: LX570 are generally true for 3 reasons
1) more of them = a bit better price
2) less likely to have been driven hard off road, or driven off road at all (soccer moms going to the mall)
3) more likely to have been dealership maintained; which at Lexus is usually a good thing, dealerships actually see more of them than Toyota dealerships see LCs
3) Lexus dealerships (some or many of them) have also been known to ignore AHC maintenance.

Personally, if OP is not handy with doing his own maintenance on his car, then he should stay away from LX because he may not be able to find anyone (Lexus or 3rd party) willing to do proper AHC maintenance.

The Cruiser has a higher initial value and resale value. Though the Cruiser has a solid axle in the rear and consumes some of the cargo-area space compared to the Seq, the makes the Cruiser more solid off-road, fully loaded, and when towing. I'm a fan of solid axles for a big SUV. I don't know the Seq years involved, but someone tested the Seq's stability on a track and discovered the back-end can tend to move more laterally than necessary during hard braking and fast cornering. Do you due diligence in this area as your family's safety should be top priority.

The Cruiser's 3rd row is big enough. I've stuffed 7 players on my former high school Girls basketball team along with my 6-yo son in his car seat, along with basketballs, players' backpacks, food, and whatever else there was room for inside. When it was time to pick up my players, the priority was the 3rd row as it was quiet back there and a sense of being more private. The ventilation for all rows works great. And, its easy to remove/install the 3rd row for more room as what we do on our long road trips.

I'm not a mechanic so take it for what it is worth... it is "fairly" easy (excluding the transfer case and the #5 spark plug) for me to access such as the brakes, spark plugs, all fluids, filters, zerks, battery, serp belt, major coolant hoses, head light bulbs, etc. I dropped the tranny pan and changed the interior filter - much easier than I expected.

Also, unlike most other SUVs (Sequoia, Infiniti, GMC, High Lander, Caddy, etc), the Cruiser has far more steel in the body (and frame) than aluminum. This truly is the "Beast" of SUVs on the road today. Our family was targeted by an aggressive driver in 2019 - he intentionally hit our side and rear in our former Subaru Outback. Since getting our 2008 Cruiser in 2019, the engagement from aggressive drivers has dropped considerably. There was a time when Mini Cooper was about 3' from my rear bumper going about 50mph - those problem drivers no longer bother me.

(As promised, I eventually do a post about my dash cams)

I drive conservative and live in the Denver area. I'm getting 19-21 mpg on the highway. This past weekend (as some of you know) we were in Gunnison. Overall mpg was 20-21. I don't have a clue about the Seq mpg for conservative drivers.

I've had our Cruiser in snow, all types of rain, mud, dirt, grass, wooded areas, rocks, 4x4 trails, ditches, and in the last parking spot at Costco that was halfway filled with 2' of snow. Several times I have crossed city and highway medians to escape traffic. Great clearance. I don't know about the Seq, but the Cruiser has a true constant 4x4 drive. A lot of cars that advertise AWD and constant 4x4 drive have a delay in their system as to when the AWD/4x4 will engage. This can be a problem in emergency situations. Our 2008 Cruiser doesn't have any aftermarket accessories except for a President McKinley cb radio. I've done many 4x4 trails around Ouray/Telluride/Lake City/Montezuma Colorado. I've passed more blinged-up Jeeps on those trails than I can remember - and our family was very comfortable in our Cruiser and not getting knocked around like dice in the hand of a Yahtzee player.

You're not having a mid-life crisis. You're having a real-life-vehicle-value crisis. If you want to see the world as all of us see it, then the red pill is for you. If you want to continue on your same path, then the blue pill. There is no shame either way - whatever is best for you and your family.

Last edited:

My 21 Sequoia was supposed to be just a place holder till the NextGen came out, but when it came out it was a major disappointment for space. There is no place for a big dog or dog crate at all with the 3rd row and big shelf. Never mind your luggage. snowboards, etc.
^this. Terrible third row, a step back in 4WD function, less room and storage. Between the new Sequoia and a 200LC, the latter is better. The second gen Sequoia, on the other hand, has advantages for a growing family.

Kids=room requirement. Dog or dogs=room requirement. Mom/dad tending to said kids while on trip while mom/dad drives=room requirement. Lol.

Second gen Sequoia may be better choice. I looked at both in 18' and went LC because kid was on the way to college and I knew I was gonna be offroad and modding vehicle to better fit my needs with wife and 2 German Shedders. 2 crates and 2 kids you have zero room for gear in the rear.

1710351398195.png

While true, both are good. Buy want you want and have no regrets.

The pricing on Land Cruisers is absolutely stupid. I bought a 2018 LX570 with 50k miles for ~$51k

If it were me, I wouldnt pay that much for the LC and would get the Sequoia if those were the only two options.

Also, if you don't plan to offroad at all, then Sequoia. And even if you were going to offroad and liked the size of the Sequoia better, they have a decent amount of aftermarket support via Tandem Offroad. You can get lifts, lockers, bumpers, gears, skids etc.

I'm not sure why that would not work. My brother has a Bernese Mountain dog and he as a back seat dog protector in his third row Sequoia (similar to what is pictured below), and the dog accesses via the middle of the captain chairs (his protector has an opening zipper in the middle). He said that with the third row folded and shelf installed, it creates a large secure rear area, and he also can let his dog get in via the 2nd row as it otherwise is hard for the dog to get in from the rear. But he wanted cargo separate from his dog, and wanted it to have cooling vents, so he used the 3rd row as "dog zone".

I know some people have removed the third row, but Toyota does not recommend it due to hybrid battery location. I'd at least add drawers or other protection above if I were to think about removing a row.

1710354023211.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom