Talking me out of BFGs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have had 2 sets of BFG’s. The falken wild peak at3 blows them out of the water. Quieter, 100% better in the rain, tire is gets well balanced and a smoother ride.

I keep going with BFG KO2 even after trying Goodyear Duratrak and Falkins on my 4Runner. Even on my fleet trucks we have tried many others including Coopers, nope. BFG still does better.

IMG_1028.jpeg

A tire salesperson whose opinions I respect told me that aggressive looking sidewalls cause extraneous noise (other than the tread on the road) because of air turbulence. He mentioned the quietest tires have relatively smooth sidewalls, with no aggressive looking bump outs.

This is true. To be fair, the aggressive sidewalls aren't just for looks. They serve a useful function when aired down for more bite and traction. The raised rubber also serves as better protection of the sidewalls against puncture.

Thanks to all have responded and those that might still. Although far from scientific, these responses have offered me insight into the real world experience of 200 owners. I have an appointment on the 10th and will most likely go with the BFGs unless something changes my mine before then as the majority of users had positive experiences. Thanks again and please continue to provide insight if you run these tires.
Context is key when discussing the merits of tires. My personal experience with KO2s matches two very common complaints:

1) Look at the tread pattern. It is very tight compared to modern ATs. In my experience, the KO2 is AWFUL at clearing out mud. Granted, they are not mud tires, but AT designs have come a long way in this respect.

2) Wet pavement was my KO2s' kryptonite. There is a common complaint that around 25-30k miles the rubber turns kind of hard and gets very slick. There is a huge thread about this on T4R.org in the 5th gen section. That said, you might not spin out as much on wet pavement in your electronic traction-controlled full-time 4wd 200 series as someone in a pickup truck.

Back to context: if you're typically off-roading in desert conditions, KO2s are probably pretty great. If you live in the SW US, you might not have problems with wet traction or clearing mud. Just think of how you'll be using them. I am firmly in the camp that there are far better alternatives.

I have K02 DT's on my 200 currently and probably will not go back. There were K02's on it when I bought it. I changed to RW's and K02's again. This set has had one tire that was a pain to balance and has started a little cupping even with regular rotation and alignment. I am also going to switch from the E tires to C's and see if mileage picks up. I replaced the K02's on my FJ Cruiser with Falken M/T's they have been very good on road for a mud terrain tire. The K02's do not like red clay at all. I had Michelin Defenders on my truck and they were still on it when I sold it. great on road and in the rain.

I had KO2s (285/60/18 Load Range D) on stock rims. Never had any issues in 46k miles. Rode fairly quiet too as it aged. Rotated every 5k miles. Kept PSI as instructed by gaijin here…46 PSI. No abnormal wear.

I could have gone another 10-15 k but changed due to trying to improve fuel economy by going with Michelin Defender.

Last edited:
Tire companies do a lot of research to maximize traction, noise etc. the KO2 is 10 years old. Lots of good science since they decided on that design. No arguments it a good design but I think it’s dated. I switched to Nitto ….. recon grappler. Super quiet. Great traction
Seemingly, the KO3’s are similar to KO2s design.

Good science? Unless someone has re-invented slice bread, there has not been much of anything new in tire business. The only “new” thing is addition of Silica compound to the rubber? But, silica while great on street tires is NOT recommended in a true AT tire.

Every AT tire since KO2 have shortcomings whether it be Nitto, AT3, Falkens. If you want a true AT (and not a wannabe), then IMHO, there is only one from a big brand…KO2/KO3.

For what it's worth, the Nitto Ridge and Recon Grapplers are not 3MP snow rated. Don't know if that matters where you live but for me, that is a no-go, especially after this last winter where I had 90 inches of snow in my driveway. Too old for that crap....

Just got a new set of BFG AT KO2 in 285/65R18 this morning. So far, no rubbing with stock suspension. Just clears. Need more testing. One reason I got rid of the Toyo ATIIIs was that Tire Rack's winter review of the KO2 was pretty good, better than the competition. Also, they are, so far, quieter than the Toyos.

Happy to report that upon the fourth try Discount Tire finally got the KO2's balanced back out. This was the first time in all of the sets of K02's that we've run over the past decade that we had a balance issue. I am sad to report that upon returning to pick up my Cruiser that the 5th/spare wheel I had mounted was the wrong color. I ordered a black wheel, the box said black but upon picking it up I had a grey wheel lol. Nomad is supposed to send me out a replacement ASAP this week but it's a bit of a PITA when the tire shop is an hour away, first world problems.

I have bfg’s on my lx570. They continue to have fantastic even wear. I will say they are heavy AF and are singing pretty good on the highway. 40k miles.
I will probably replace them with defenders and give my truck to my wife. They are expensive, but look fantastic. I get compliments on my truck all the time.

Been running KO2s for years and have put them through their paces. On my full-size trucks, my 200 and work trucks. I've not had a single issue. And I've not had a single failure in the field...which matters a lot to me. Are they the best on packed snow and ice...nope. I run a dedicated winter tire here in Idaho in the winter. But in all other conditions, they perform and they've never let me down.

I like to hear that. Mine go on tomorrow. I will update in couple weeks. Thanks for all the input from the users. Always appreciate the insight from the group

Yep, best overall tire I've ever run, which is why I have had so many sets over the years. I am a big fan of the Toyo RT as well which is now even better in the RT Trail version.

Got couple hundred miles on them so far. Different from stock but I like them. Added the OEM front spacer with the 2016 wheels. Happy the way it all came together. View attachment 3370578

I'll have to keep a look out for you along 30A when we are down in Rosemary.

Got couple hundred miles on them so far. Different from stock but I like them. Added the OEM front spacer with the 2016 wheels. Happy the way it all came together. View attachment 3370578
White lettering is a nice detail here

Cooper or Mickey Thompson (made by Cooper) is all I will run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom