Talking me out of BFGs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mac62

SILVER Star
Threads
So just picked up clean 2014 LC the other day. Have plans for OEM spacer up front and would like to get some 285/65/18 K02s to go with it. Toyota has a buy 3 get one free on BFGs this month where I live but after talking to some other tire dealers around town….they have all but talked me out of the BFGs due to all the constant issues with getting and staying balanced?? I do not want to have to deal with any vibrations from the tires or have to continue to go back to dealer to have tires balanced over and over. Parts department here did not act like I would have any issues but lots of other people told me to find another tire brand. Looking for opinions from 200 series owners who run them. Thanks in advance

So just picked up clean 2014 LC the other day. Have plans for OEM spacer up front and would like to get some 285/65/18 K02s to go with it. Toyota has a buy 3 get one free on BFGs this month where I live but after talking to some other tire dealers around town….they have all but talked me out of the BFGs due to all the constant issues with getting and staying balanced?? I do not want to have to deal with any vibrations from the tires or have to continue to go back to dealer to have tires balanced over and over. Parts department here did not act like I would have any issues but lots of other people told me to find another tire brand. Looking for opinions from 200 series owners who run them. Thanks in advance

They have not been a top tire in a long time. Michelin knows this and is why they have come out with a KO3. Look at Falken, Goodyear or Cooper.

I put LT285/65R18 KO2s on my cruiser not long after getting it. Three balanced ok, one was manageable, one was horrible. They never could get it right, even with road force, rotating the tire on the wheel, everything. Ended up replacing it (while still new) and got that tire/wheel to "manageable" status as well. They never were perfect.. but then it's a heavy, heavy duty tire.

IMO if balance is a priority to you, I'd avoid anything "Light Truck" aka LTxxx/yy sizing.

And all of that is beside the point that any KO2 (or other LT tire) will need much more pressure than stock, significantly increasing harshness over sharp bumps.

But they sure do look cool..

3rd set. 100k on the first, 60k on the second (I replaced early).

Never a hint of vibration.

I just picked up a set last week before a trip for my 08 LC. I get slight vibes. Not bad but noticeable at certain speeds. I went to these after the Toyo AT3 felt soft to me. My alignment was off some and completely ruined a tire. Became cupped. Had about 40k on them. Hopefully these are more durable.

Tire companies do a lot of research to maximize traction, noise etc. the KO2 is 10 years old. Lots of good science since they decided on that design. No arguments it a good design but I think it’s dated. I switched to Nitto ….. recon grappler. Super quiet. Great traction

Nothing wrong with KO2s. Like an old land cruiser, it'll always be relevant and capable in its own right. Just don't expect it to be as competitive against the new generation, including it's own successor KO3s which are slowly coming onto the market.

Nothing wrong with KO2s. Like an old land cruiser, it'll always be relevant and capable in its own right. Just don't expect it to be as competitive against the new generation, including it's own successor KO3s which are slowly coming onto the market.
Yeah I just like what works. I could chase this or that new thing but why? Once I find something that works I just use it.

Yeah I just like what works. I could chase this or that new thing but why? Once I find something that works I just use it.

This man knows what he wants. :beer:

We've had a lot of sets of KO2's over the last decade, pretty much ever Toyota or Lexus we've owned has had KO2's or a KM MT tire at one point. I have never had an issue with any of them, they always wore well and performed well, until now. The set on my 200 is currently giving me fits. I have had them rebalanced four times in the last 1-2 months, they have always been Road Force balanced and they have gone as far as completely removing all of the weights and starting over on all four and this last visit they removed one of the tires and flipped it around on the wheel. Sadly none of their efforts have fixed the issue, it has a slight but noticeable shimmy between 60-70 mph. I don't have any funny wear and my alignment is reportedly still good but there's definitely an issue. Most would likely live with it but I am super OCD about these things and it's currently driving me insane.

All of that said, I am still a huge fan of the tire and I am positive I'll roll into KO3's when the time comes for a new set. I hope we can get to the bottom of this issue, but Discount hasn't isolated the tire yet or offered to replace any of them so who knows. I might consider getting another alignment done and there's the slight possibility that one of the wheels is out of round but none of this started to show right after a specific change so I am at a loss at isolating outside of assuming it's an issue with one of the tires.

Thanks to all have responded and those that might still. Although far from scientific, these responses have offered me insight into the real world experience of 200 owners. I have an appointment on the 10th and will most likely go with the BFGs unless something changes my mine before then as the majority of users had positive experiences. Thanks again and please continue to provide insight if you run these tires.

Hard to go wrong with a set of Michelin defenders if you are NOT using the truck for off roading purposes. If you are, I would would opt for a K02 or K03 tire in its place. BFG is a sub-brand of Michelin, and the Michelin company makes some of the best tires on the market.

I have had so many sets of KO2s I can't count. Only a few sets had a stinker in there where balancing or cupping was an issue.

I currently have a set of 275/65/20 KO2s on my 13 LX- smooth and quiet.

I do like the recon grapplers almost as much. And I have Toyo Open Country ATIII on my Tundra and they are a close second if not equal.

First set 50k zero issue, second set currently 40k zero issue. There will be a 3rd set when it’s time.

Hard to go wrong with a set of Michelin defenders if you are NOT using the truck for off roading purposes. If you are, I would would opt for a K02 or K03 tire in its place. BFG is a sub-brand of Michelin, and the Michelin company makes some of the best tires on the market.

They don’t look the part but other than mud defenders do a great job off-road. With much better road manners for what is the vast majority of the miles most people put on their rigs.

They don’t look the part but other than mud defenders do a great job off-road. With much better road manners for what is the vast majority of the miles most people put on their rigs.
I agree 100% but I hate the side profile look. If they just did something with the side profile I’d have them already. I don’t off road except the beach so the defenders would be a home run for me, I just don’t like the lame look of them.

A tire salesperson whose opinions I respect told me that aggressive looking sidewalls cause extraneous noise (other than the tread on the road) because of air turbulence. He mentioned the quietest tires have relatively smooth sidewalls, with no aggressive looking bump outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom