Talking me out of BFGs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slapped a new spare under mine today. GTG!

hefgjNj.jpg

I have heard they Suck in the Snow, but an AT is not really a snow Tire. If they Last Forever they are Hard, which means not good in the Rain.

Side Note: I'm running Yoko ATs and love them. They were Much Cheaper that the BFGs thru WalMart. Once I add On Board Air I will find out what they worth. Some have complained they are Soft.

BFGs do not age well. These KM2s are on my BJ74. They were on the truck when I bought it. Otherwise they would would not be there.
Hard pass for me.
20230710_201146.jpg

BFGs do not age well. These KM2s are on my BJ74. They were on the truck when I bought it. Otherwise they would would not be there.
Hard pass for me.
View attachment 3370699
I commented on a co-worker’s wildpeak AT3Ws severe dry rotting only to find out they weren’t even 3 years and 30k miles old. Severe such as.. 2” long cracks in the thin part of the sidewall so deep the cords were clearly visible.

That’s a nope for me

Cooper or Mickey Thompson (made by Cooper) is all I will run.
i do love a cooper/mickey
i got 60k km out of a set of st maxx on the tundra
i get around 45k km out of ko2's and they are cracked by the end
i put the geo g003's on the 70 series and like em so far

had the stt pro and they were done and cupped out by 35-40k, and LOUD

There have been bad experiences by all of one brand or another over time. IME Falken and Goodyear are absolute trash and on the flip side BFG's have been extremely good to me. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and some work better in some regions of the country than others. How and where you drive has a lot to do with performance from one guy to the next as well.

There have been bad experiences by all of one brand or another over time. IME Falken and Goodyear are absolute trash and on the flip side BFG's have been extremely good to me. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and some work better in some regions of the country than others. How and where you drive has a lot to do with performance from one guy to the next as well.
Did you ever use GY Wrangler AT with Kevlar?? It is a fascinating tire that is on higher end of GY tires.

Did you ever use GY Wrangler AT with Kevlar?? It is a fascinating tire that is on higher end of GY tires.

My only good experience with a Good Year tire was way back when the Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar came out some 13-14 years ago. I had a set of 35's and then 37's on a JLU and they were pretty good.

Cooper or Mickey Thompson (made by Cooper) is all I will run.

Both of which have been owned and made by Goodyear for nearly two years now. Fun times.

KO2 is one of the most highly produced AT tires ever. It serves very well for lots of people. Build that many units for that long and you are guaranteed to see issues. The scariest of which is sidewall cracking like this:

Screenshot 2023-07-11 104746.png

Seen that a few times in less than 10k miles. This is seen in posts for years from all over the world. It's worth noting that the KO3 has a different sidewall design that deletes the stress riser in that sidewall block notch.

All that being said, KO2 is generally priced well beyond reason anymore, and there are highly competitive tires at much lower prices.

Both of which have been owned and made by Goodyear for nearly two years now. Fun times.

KO2 is one of the most highly produced AT tires ever. It serves very well for lots of people. Build that many units for that long and you are guaranteed to see issues. The scariest of which is sidewall cracking like this:

View attachment 3370995

Seen that a few times in less than 10k miles. This is seen in posts for years from all over the world. It's worth noting that the KO3 has a different sidewall design that deletes the stress riser in that sidewall block notch.

All that being said, KO2 is generally priced well beyond reason anymore, and there are highly competitive tires at much lower prices.

I've never seen those cracks on a KO2 before, interesting.

I've never seen those cracks on a KO2 before, interesting.

Makes me wonder what pressures have been run and for how long. Never had any KO2 I have run crack like that. Looks like a lot of sidewall stress.

Makes me wonder what pressures have been run and for how long. Never had any KO2 I have run crack like that. Looks like a lot of sidewall stress.

One set that I saw for sure ran correct pressures. Can't speak to the other.

After it happened I spoke to our tire engineer at work about it. He didn't seem surprised. In fact, he seemed surprised it didn't happen more often given the deep, sharp V in the block root. He chalked it up to a compromise for aesthetics and acoustics that the designers likely weren't keen on.

Study the rest of BFGs line using this sidewall feature and you'll see that the other implementations all have larger radii in that root. They're also tires that would've been known to see a lot of sidewall flex.

One set that I saw for sure ran correct pressures. Can't speak to the other.

After it happened I spoke to our tire engineer at work about it. He didn't seem surprised. In fact, he seemed surprised it didn't happen more often given the deep, sharp V in the block root.
Wow. That is interesting. Then you have to wonder if it was a bad batch. Guess I have been lucky. I will keep an eye on the set I just bought and see how they hold up. Problem is where I live, I go through tires about every 20,000 to 25,000 miles or so, which is maybe 1 1/2 to two years. This mountain just eats tires.

I've found that there's a fine line between proper air pressure and too much or too little when it comes to KO2's. 3-4 psi can have a huge impact in handling and ride characteristics.

Wow. That is interesting. Then you have to wonder if it was a bad batch. Guess I have been lucky. I will keep an eye on the set I just bought and see how they hold up. Problem is where I live, I go through tires about every 20,000 to 25,000 miles or so, which is maybe 1 1/2 to two years. This mountain just eats tires.

I wouldn't sweat it, I am on my sixth set of KO2's in the last 7+ years over a few different Toyota's and I have never seen anything like that. I had a set of KM3's in there as well and multiple sets of KO's and KM2's in there prior to that, no issues with cracking sidewalls on any of them.

I have over 200,000 miles on KO2s and another 100+k on the original BFG AT TA between an 89 jeep yk and 96 full size Bronco over the past 30 years or so. I'm on my second set on my 2012 4Runner and first set went 90k with room to spare. Have about 3000 miles on KO2's on my cruiser now and have been plenty happy so far. I think a lot of wear issues, etc. come from improper inflations. When I first put them on the 4Runner, I didn't know they had to be adjusted from 32psi to 44psi since they were LT vs P tires. They started cupping in the first 5000 miles and I figured it out. Once corrected, they ran another 85k at 44psi before I put new ones on. Maybe that is the reason for some of the anomalies and critical reviews. I'm happy with them and will continue to run them unless I start rock crawling or something. I run them at 42psi on my LC.

I have over 200,000 miles on KO2s and another 100+k on the original BFG AT TA between an 89 jeep yk and 96 full size Bronco over the past 30 years or so. I'm on my second set on my 2012 4Runner and first set went 90k with room to spare. Have about 3000 miles on KO2's on my cruiser now and have been plenty happy so far. I think a lot of wear issues, etc. come from improper inflations. When I first put them on the 4Runner, I didn't know they had to be adjusted from 32psi to 44psi since they were LT vs P tires. They started cupping in the first 5000 miles and I figured it out. Once corrected, they ran another 85k at 44psi before I put new ones on. Maybe that is the reason for some of the anomalies and critical reviews. I'm happy with them and will continue to run them unless I start rock crawling or something. I run them at 42psi on my LC.
I run mine at 42 PSI also.

60k+ on a set of ATs seems nice at first pass, but that tells me the tire is too hard for offroad use and it's biased for highway...may as well have gotten an HT.

ATs are very hard to design well. Thus my driveway being full of HTs and MTs. And hell, many MTs have gotten so hard now that they can reliably be pushed to 50k miles. Seen several recent sets that have aged out long before their tread was gone.

I run my 285/75/17 KO2's at 36-37 cold psi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom