Tailgate Handle Reproduction? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
1972 FJ55 Tailgate Handle Base by jrh00800 on Shapeways

1972 FJ55 Tailgate Handle by jrh00800 on Shapeways

Wondering if anyone has used these, can't find any feedback.

Product Description
Mounting holes require drilling and tapping of existing pilot holes
In order of tapping difficulty: 5mm drill bit (75% thread) / #4 wire gauge drill bit (50% thread)
M6X1.00 bottom tap

Shapeways Stainless Steel Tapping Best Practices
Stainless Steel Tapping Best Practices

I have never played with a bottom tap, I wonder how difficult the 3-step process would be?

Ah geez, somehow I missed this thread altogether. I was PM'ing TJ asking if he'd created this thread yet. I'll chime in today, sorry to have gone dark!

Phew, here now. OK, some thoughts:

Can we tap that type of metal? Stainless can be tapped, but I've no experience with printed metal. M10 is like a 3/8 bolt, without looking probably M6.

Are you talking about everybody downloading and uploading their own again, because I still need help with the inner door handles. :)

EDIT...Thanks Guys and I'm in!

All right, yes this has been answered. Tapping this sintered metal is a nightmare. I think we have two options we could explore: Weld in something (a nut) or model in and print a "stud" instead of the hole. Just to clarify, can someone take a pic of the hole we're discussing? There's the "pivot" point that could accept the Barry White (lol) bolts and there's the other hole, correct?

J Mack the links you posted would work good for the handles. You have to make the handles in two pieces, so using your Barry White screws would work. Trying to rivet them together would be a pain.

Agreed, this is a great application for sex bolts.

Just thinking aloud:

Since you have an ability to print these is nylon, why not shift the focus a bit instead of printing in some sintered metal.

Print them in the correct type of wax, and send to a place that does lost wax casting? They’ll add a sprue/runner and cover in the slurry, bake the wax out and cast in stainless or whatever metal. Then it’s a matter of machine/polish/chrome.

I would imagine the printed texture on the exposed surfaces could be hidden reasonably easily with a few passes with a torch to smooth the surface of the wax before the slurry...

Investment Casting

Ugh... When TJ and I first started chatting (~18 months ago?) I reached out to a casting operation, in fact it was a fellow MUDDER who offered a discount. The cost was still extremely high. I can dig up some numbers to share.

That file has been on for some time. Glad to see one of you ordered it up to evaluate. I'd like to propose something: @VIVA TERLINGUA , if for some reason the part fails to meet expectations, how do you feel about test welding a nut or stud to it to evaluate weld-ability?

EDIT: Some quick searching shows that the porosity of sintered metal makes welding erratic and hard to control. Hm....

Last edited:
Also, really glad to help here. Hoping we can reach a solution - many many many thanks to @PabloCruise , @scrapdaddy , @J Mack and the others for the continued help.

Abso-friggin-lutely. This isn't rocket science.

Actually, metal 3D printing may qualify as rocket science. Regardless we can still get there.

upload_2018-4-17_18-40-17.png
IMG_0948.JPG
upload_2018-4-17_18-40-17.png
IMG_0948.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom