Tailgate Handle Reproduction? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Is it "tailgate" or "tail gate"?

However you spell it, I was wondering how people would feel about being able to print their own handles?

I have been on the hunt for a solution to the tailgate handle dilemma for years, possibly a decade.

About 5 years ago I got access to the ability to scan a handle and had that done.

We then did a preliminary print in plastic and made some changes to radius some corners and strengthen things. I think I know where that first print is...

I then asked around about casting or machining the piece and could never find a reasonable solution for such a low anticipated volume.

Throughout the years I asked many people about this.

Along came Mssr @DoubleNickels in early 2017 with some ideas on printing pieces in this thread: Broken interior door handle bracket, any solutions? Or get metal version machined?

@fj55-100 used the print service and printed the door handle piece in sintered stainless:

door-haldle-metal-jpg.1634849

@DoubleNickels and I started talking about printing the tailgate handle in stainless, how that could polish up into a nice piece. We agreed to start with a plastic prototype that I would test fit on a spare tailgate that I have lying around (thanks Ige @nuclearlemon ). So @DoubleNickels (aka Calvin) printed the plastic piece you see below and shipped to me. BIG thanks Calvin! I will go try that now.

This piece would likely require polishing. It would be a reproduction of the older style handle that screwed together. You could use your old fasteners, or I have a line on some new shouldered bolts. You would have to re-use your old spring. I do not have a line on a replacement spring.

The one think we do NOT have figured out is how to tap the piece that is fastened to the tailgate. I believe it is an M10 fastener. We can discuss this.

Does this sound interesting at all?

Here are some renderings from the design file:

FJ55RearHatchHandelAssy.jpg
FJ55RearHatchHandelAssy2.jpg
FJ55RearHatchHandelAssy3.jpg

Last edited:
Is it "tailgate" or "tail gate"?

However you spell it, I was wondering how people would feel about being able to print their own handles?

I have been on the hunt for a solution to the tailgate handle dilemma for years, possibly a decade.

About 5 years ago I got access to the ability to scan a handle and had that done.

We then did a preliminary print in plastic and made some changes to radius some corners and strengthen things. I think I know where that first print is...

I then asked around about casting or machining the piece and could never find a reasonable solution for such a low anticipated volume.

Throughout the years I asked many people about this.

Along came Mssr @DoubleNickels in early 2017 with some ideas on printing pieces in this thread: Broken interior door handle bracket, any solutions? Or get metal version machined?

@fj55-100 used the print service and printed the door handle piece in sintered stainless:

door-haldle-metal-jpg.1634849

@DoubleNickels and I started talking about printing the tailgate handle in stainless, how that could polish up into a nice piece. We agreed to start with a plastic prototype that I would test fit on a spare tailgate that I have lying around (thanks Ige @nuclearlemon ) I will go try that now.

This piece would likely require polishing. It would be a reproduction of the older style handle that screwed together. You could use your old fasteners, or I have a line on some new shouldered bolts. You would have to re-use your old spring. I do not have a line on a replacement spring.

The one think we do NOT have figured out is how to tap the piece that is fastened to the tailgate. I believe it is an M10 fastener. We can discuss this.

Does this sound interesting at all?

Here are some renderings from the design file:

View attachment 1661740 View attachment 1661741 View attachment 1661742
Good idea and worth the effort. Dan

:popcorn:

Can we tap that type of metal? Stainless can be tapped, but I've no experience with printed metal. M10 is like a 3/8 bolt, without looking probably M6.

Are you talking about everybody downloading and uploading their own again, because I still need help with the inner door handles. :)

EDIT...Thanks Guys and I'm in!

My concern is that since it is such a shallow depth of material is that we may have to drill all the through the metal to run a tap through, and then fill or plug the external face...
Why cant you print the threads at say 100% then run a bottom tap after the part is complete to size them to the standard 75%??
Either way I would plan on using a stud.

Yeah, it's shallow @ 1/4" deep. Screw size is 6mx1.0m.

Let's print one and try tapping it.

On another note, when we get these made, the guys that had the riveted type will have to open up the space in the tailgate. The bolt style is wider and trying to get that spring in there inside the tailgate is a pain.

Why cant you print the threads at say 100% then run a bottom tap after the part is complete to size them to the standard 75%??
Either way I would plan on using a stud.

I don't know, never done this before!

Do you mean print the piece with a stud? Interesting idea. I wonder if there would be any interference with the tailgate when you go to install?

Or better yet print a stud and use a “Thread Cutting Nut/ Emblem Trim Nut/ Washer head thread cutting PAL nut”..

Link, https://www.boltproducts.com/palnut...capped-type-lock-washers-c-463_471_473.html#1

OR, Thread Cutting Nut 5/32 Stud Size

Man, those things do not have a lot of surface area to grab the stud. I am not sure if they would stay tight after repeated use of the handle.

Or do you mean just for the cutting, and then use a regular nut?

I would just use a die to cut thread.

Man, those things do not have a lot of surface area to grab the stud. I am not sure if they would stay tight after repeated use of the handle.
Yes just print the stud on the back side.

Read the link I posted again if you're concerned about these style nuts being usable for the handle.

Palnut® Capped Type Lock Washers

Click to Enlarge

Tinnerman Palnut - Single-Thread Engaging Self-Locking Speed Nuts® provide a dual locking action- an inward thread lock combined with an arched spring lock- ensuring strong and reliable holding power. Made from heat-treated high carbon spring steel, these versatile fasteners:
  • Are engineered for easier handling and faster application.
  • Eliminate the need for lockwashers, spanner washers, or other loose pieces.
  • Are designed to resist loosening from vibration.
  • Will not freeze" to threads or clog with paint.
  • Provide maximum fastening power with minimal installation torque required.
Our Self-Locking Speed Nuts® are available in a wide range of standard and custom variations and work with all major screw types and sizes.

On another note, when we get these made, the guys that had the riveted type will have to open up the space in the tailgate. The bolt style is wider and trying to get that spring in there inside the tailgate is a pain.

Are you saying the opening in the tailgate is different size for handles with bolts vs. rivets?

I would say to assemble inside the tailgate but I could see where that little spring might be a handful...

Yes just print the stud on the back side.

Read the link I posted again if you're concerned about these style nuts being usable for the handle.

Palnut® Capped Type Lock Washers

Click to Enlarge

Tinnerman Palnut - Single-Thread Engaging Self-Locking Speed Nuts® provide a dual locking action- an inward thread lock combined with an arched spring lock- ensuring strong and reliable holding power. Made from heat-treated high carbon spring steel, these versatile fasteners:
  • Are engineered for easier handling and faster application.
  • Eliminate the need for lockwashers, spanner washers, or other loose pieces.
  • Are designed to resist loosening from vibration.
  • Will not freeze" to threads or clog with paint.
  • Provide maximum fastening power with minimal installation torque required.
Our Self-Locking Speed Nuts® are available in a wide range of standard and custom variations and work with all major screw types and sizes.

I had read the link. If those are the stamped steel nuts that I am thinking of, I remain skeptical.

But I have been wrong before, I'm sure I will be wrong again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom