t/case paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am going to install a 3-sd t/case in my 76 fj40 and i have got it all cleaned up. now the question is should i leave it as is or paint it,if i paint it what kind and colour of paint?

Leave it, makes it easier to track down oil leaks...

Get ready....

Here it comes...

Powder coat it.... :grinpimp:
IMG_1620.jpg

i painted mine .:doh: just because i wanted it to look new i was spray painitng the tranny (rattle can rust paint ) and just never stopped painted everything . :grinpimp: didn't really care if it pealed off its a cruiser. to this day the paint still hasn't come off.:grinpimp:
DCP_0041.JPG

No need to paint it. Aluminum doesn't rust.

Howdy! Long time ago someone suggested using clear coat/urethane. Doesn't look any different, but it fills in the rough casting texture so it is much easier to clean off trail dirt/grease whatever. I did mine that way, and a quick shot with the garden hose cleans it right up. John

I like clear coat or silver "aluminum" paint that looks "normal" but cleans up much easier than bare aluminum.

I sandblasted my case and did not paint it, I wish I had

True that it doesn't "rust" in the typical form that iron-based materials will, but it will corrode like crazy. The R151F tranny I got out of a turbo pickup looked like CRAP after 180K miles in Massachusetts, but after bead-blasting and 3 coats of Rustoleum, it looks like this now:

R151F_Done1.jpg

The t-case will get the same treatment after I get the crawler gears installed.

Aluminum, even morso than iron, has an infinity for oxygen.

Wow, not one or three but 12 pictures. By chance was there alcohol involved in taking all those pics?

Silver paint and clear top coat, both from a rattle can. Not to flashy, and easy clean-up after the trail.
grb 1.jpg

Thanks guys,so the official count is.
3-for leave it buck naked
7-paint it
1-powder coat (sunglasses required while viewing)
Living on the wet coast everything rusts corrodes or molds its going to get a rattle can of newfie chrome.In the 24 hours since i cleaned it it is already started to corrode.

I painted mine silver a few years ago when I rebuilt it. The oil that began leaking again from the parking brake drum 3 months later now wipes right off! I need to do the double seal trick.

Aluminum, even morso than iron, has an infinity for oxygen.

Or affinity, whatever :D

But the difference is that aluminum oxide forms a barrier on the surface, preventing the underlying material from corroding. Iron oxide does not.

Actually you can put a controlled layer of aluminum oxide on it and actually die the aluminum oxide different colors while it is still soft.

That's way too much work and costs way more than a few good coats with a rattle can.

Get ready....

Here it comes...

Powder coat it.... :grinpimp:

i painted mine .:doh: just because i wanted it to look new i was spray painitng the tranny (rattle can rust paint ) and just never stopped painted everything . :grinpimp: didn't really care if it pealed off its a cruiser. to this day the paint still hasn't come off.:grinpimp:

True that it doesn't "rust" in the typical form that iron-based materials will, but it will corrode like crazy. The R151F tranny I got out of a turbo pickup looked like **** after 180K miles in Massachusetts, but after bead-blasting and 3 coats of Rustoleum, it looks like this now:

R151F_Done1.jpg

The t-case will get the same treatment after I get the crawler gears installed.

OMG, you guys stuff looks SWEEEET. I can see now that I'm gonna have to step my game. So clean off the metal, rattle can well and the urethane clear to seal the deal. NICE.:clap:

It starts off shiney. It's very bling bling. As long as it's kept out of the mud it will tarnish a bit but still look pretty good. For a stocker no pain is what I do.

For something that is going to get muddy and dirty it doesn't really matter. First time you go through mud it's gonna get coated and then baked on from the engine heat going back home. Then are you really gonna take the skid plate off and clean it every time.

My idea. I paint. But I do it with something that is thick. Rust Bullets works well because it's like wrapping everything in a plastic bag. If that gasket or seal was going to leak it won't have a chance getting through that stuff. I like no oil leaks. If it came in brown that's what color I would have painted it.

I feel sorry for the bastard that wants to bring this case back to stock.
DSC00792.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom