ROTW ROTW DGangle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
August 1975 FJ40

I bought it in April of 2000. It was underivable and in pretty rough shape. My first vehicle was an 75/07 FJ40 and I always had a soft spot in my heart for them. Lotta good memories. The short story on this one was that previous owner had disassembled the drive train to being a rebuild and past away. After sitting for a long time his widow gathered some friends and basically put it back in one piece in order to sell it. I read the classifieds every day on pretty much everything. I saw it and the price was attractive. I looked at it and couldn't believe how clean and straight the body was. I grew up in the rust belt and road salt is hard on Cruisers. With the exception of some light surface rust on horizontal surfaces it was perfect, abeit needing some serious TLC. Well, with a little money in my pocket from selling a boat my wife and I couldn't use with a newborn, I made a budget and jumped in with both feet.

Within some sanity of a budget, my objective was to make a truck like I wanted to be able to go in and buy new 30 years ago. I didn't want a rock buggy. I have dirt bikes for that stuff.

With the exception of the paint, Rino lining and the engine machine work, I am proud to say I built everything myself.

Some of the details include:
300 HP pre-86 carb'd 350SBC
Advance Adapter V8 conversion
stock 4 speed, TC, axles
Ramshorn exhaust manifolds with custom dual exhausts
4WDB, 79 mini front, Monte calipers rear
CCoT 4-core radiator with Flex-Lite fan and custom shroud
33X12.50X15 BFG MTR's on 15X10 MT Classic II wheels
front and rear FJ60 double cardan driveshafts
MAF spring reversal
2.5" BTB front springs, 4" BTB rear
Cut and turn front axle with +5 caster
greasable shackles
front cage
Olympic Super Seats
CCoT one-piece floor mat
custom bumpers
Warn 8000# winch
Autometer gauges
Sun Super Tach
Grant steering wheel
Custom roll cage cover

I drive it on sunny days and get a lot of positive comments. With now two young boys it is a great way to get out in the wind and share my love of Cruisers with them. When I step over that running board in my mind I am 17 again . From building it , working on it, driving it or planning my next upgrade, it really is a form of therapy. Sounds corny, I know.

Dave Gangle
Birmingham, AL

pics to come

How can it be the ROTW without anything to look at?

Pictures, we want pictures! Sounds like a great rig! I cant wait to see it.

Rezarf <><

sheesh... i got them emailed to me and didn't have broadband last night
0019.JPG
0020-2.JPG
0007.JPG

more...
0022.JPG
0014.JPG
0010.JPG

sorry for the quality, had to resize them
0009.JPG

So this is Dave's vehicle in Al. How come your posting them up Bad?

Nice looking rig BTW

under the hood is wayyyyy to clean...how the he%$ do you keep it that nice?

Romer said:
So this is Dave's vehicle in Al. How come your posting them up Bad?

Nice looking rig BTW

it's Dave's vehicle (aka dgangle) he asked me to post it for him and emailed me the pics (because i think he's low on pic space).

how do you like the floor mat, by the way? i have an old set of SOR carpet floor mats that are wearing mighty thin... i have e 5 speed tranny, so my hump has a modified box bolted to the top, so i am looking for something clean that will follow lines nicely, and will allow me to cut holes the right way. would the mat allow for a 2 inch hump on top of the tranny?

e

Looks great! Is the color that pale in real life? Or is it just the scanning and image transfer stuff. It looks like the viper yellow a bit.

Is that a floor mat or did you rhino line the tub?

Looks great!

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom