Stock height springs. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stock height springs with the best ride quality.

Progressive or standard?

let's hear it.

😲

Complete suspension thread.

Let's have you read it.

It's more shocks than springs for ride quality. It's also very dependent on what you're doing with your truck.

It's more shocks than springs for ride quality. It's also very dependent on what you're doing with your truck.
True. I think I've got great shocks already(BP51), the truck just sits too high.

Complete suspension thread.

Let's have you read it.

I was hoping for the cliftnotes version 🤣

28 pages.😲

But seriously, I've seen that thread and read a lot of it. But so much of it has to do with lifts. Perhaps I should look again as i dont have it memorized. I just though someone here would have more thorough knowledge and would be more concise with an answer.

How do you use the truck?

If you added stock height coils for extra weight carrying capacity, like the OME 861/862, you may have a hard time achieving a better ride. I was atn least 200 lbs + up front vs stock. I started with a pair of stock Tokicos. They didn't provide adequate dampening. I subbed in a pair of OME Nitro Sports and they did the job at the expense of being somewhat harsh about it. I was OK with that as their performance was otherwise adequate. Not sure if there's something in between.

If you want stock height, put some new stock shocks and springs in it (if they're still available). The Toyota engineers do a good job of optimizing suspension for on road use. I put a takeoff stock suspension on a former 200 series and it rode like a new car.

Me being opinionated: if you are looking for factory ride you are way overkill with BP-51s.

Go for the Dobs stock height coils and be done. Hit @crikeymike up and they’ll get you on the right coils.

I am doing stock height progressives on my fj140 build. Bought Toyota OEM stock height shocks. It currently sits high without front and rear bumpers and drive train in. @fl4031003 fj140 build also has similar set up as mine with OEM front and rear bumpers and it sits great. He has 1fzfe drive train. Look at his build.

Figure daily driver with basically stock weight.
In that case, I'd give a pair of stock Tokicos a try if you haven't already. Nothing fancy, reasonably priced and should be readily available. And it's OK to run different shocks front to rear. I've done it for years.

If you want stock height, put some new stock shocks and springs in it (if they're still available). The Toyota engineers do a good job of optimizing suspension for on road use. I put a takeoff stock suspension on a former 200 series and it rode like a new car.

Me being opinionated: if you are looking for factory ride you are way overkill with BP-51s.
Too late 🤪

Figure daily driver with basically stock weight.
For stock weight, eh, go with whatever is on sale. I'm not sensitive enough to appreciate the consistency of linear springs as the body-on-frame wiggles cancel out any perceived handling predictability. We're not driving sports cars here.

I'm using Dobinsons stock height variables (from Exit Off Road) and went back to stock Tokicos, and I'm happy with their on-road manners. If you carry more weight in the rear--more than a Costco run, like you actually use the 3rd row seating for people or have a camping layout in the rear, then try linear up front and progressives in the rear. If the truck is too high for you at stock height you should go with progressive all around, but honestly you're not going to lose that much ride height (15% maybe?)--you may want to consider a different daily driver (wish the States got the Suzuki Jimny--what a riot). My 5 foot nothin' wife doesn't complain about the height--I mean, it's a proper 4x4 machine.

Last edited:
If you carry more weight in the rear--more than a Costco run, like you actually use the 3rd row seating for people or have a camping layout in the rear, then try linear up front and progressives in the rear.
Another great option is to add a set of air bags in the rear. Even running them at min PSI (5 lbs) will smooth the ride.

I would go with the Dobinson's stock height linear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom