Stock Shocks with aftermarket springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rin

Threads
New to mud and after searching the forums for awhile without a direct answer. Im getting new shocks OEM. I also want to put in new springs. Will OME 2860's 2"in fit with stock shocks?

New to mud and after searching the forums for awhile without a direct answer. Im getting new shocks OEM. I also want to put in new springs. Will OME 2860's 2"in fit with stock shocks?
The stock Tokicos work well with the OME 861/862 combo, which has a slight lift but basically stock height. Taller than that I think you can potentially reach their travel limits pretty easily from what I recall, but I'm sure there's somewhere who knows who can give a more definitive answer.

The stock Tokicos work well with the OME 861/862 combo, which has a slight lift but basically stock height. Taller than that I think you can potentially reach their travel limits pretty easily from what I recall, but I'm sure there's somewhere who knows who can give a more definitive answer.
Ok so thats the .25" front and .75" back correct? so the 2" or 3" coils dont work with the stock shocks? if im reading correctly

Why are you considering using stock height shocks with a lifted vehicle if you are already ok with they cost of new shocks?

Lifting puts additional roll into a vehicle; and among other things, stock shocks are not tuned to deal with this roll. Not apples to apples on an 80 series, but I had Bilstein 4600 series (stock replacements) on a 2" lifted Sequoia, and it rocked and rode like crap. Then I upgraded to 5100 series intended for lifted trucks, and the ride improvement was night and day with roll and handling.

I would not use lifted height shocks with extended springs, the shock also can and will reach it's length limit before the springs under bumps at speed (think of a rise on the freeway at 70mph) and they don't have the length to deal with the range of the spring... you would probably feel this. Repeated jolts to the shock body under over extension will most likely lead to some sort of failure either in the shock body itself, or potentially the chassis attachment components.

Yes they will physically "fit".
No, OEM height shocks are not recommended to work with lifted height springs for the reasons already mentioned.
Go with the Nitro shocks that OME offers and cry just the once. Shock/strut mount repair is 50/50 after the fact.

No, OEM height shocks are not recommended to work with lifted height springs for the reasons already mentioned.
Go with the Nitro shocks that OME offers and cry just the once. Shock/strut mount repair is 50/50 after the fact.
ok than if anything ill hold off on getting new springs. i thought i might as well do the springs since im desperately needing to replace the rear shocks but might just be better off holding off till i can afford a proper lift kit.

ok than if anything ill hold off on getting new springs. i thought i might as well do the springs since im desperately needing to replace the rear shocks but might just be better off holding off till i can afford a proper lift kit.
If you need new shocks, and are anticipating getting a lift.… You can get the nitro charger shocks or any shocks for a 2 inch lift now and run those with your stock suspension. Then add the springs later, problem solved. I did this when I was running a stock replacement before I lifted my truck.

Last edited:
Hi, I need a help regarding my lift. Currently I have ome 850/860 coils and ome 60018/60020 2” lift on my 80. I wanna go back to stock height, is it possible to use 60018/60020 with my stock coil springs?

Hi, I need a help regarding my lift. Currently I have ome 850/860 coils and ome 60018/60020 2” lift on my 80. I wanna go back to stock height, is it possible to use 60018/60020 with my stock coil springs?
Yes that will work.

If you’re truly stock height your caster should be fine with stock bushings, you’ll probably have better ride quality with the rubber bushings.

If you’re truly stock height your caster should be fine with stock bushings, you’ll probably have better ride quality with the rubber bushings.
Currently I’m on OME 2” lift on my 80, I’m thinking going back to stock height, @crikeymike said I can use my 60018/60020 shocks together with my factory oem coil spring? My radius arm were change too went I went 2” lift they put Oldmanemu yellow caster bushings. Should I change them again back to toyota oem caster rubber bushing If I want to go back to stock height?

Currently I’m on OME 2” lift on my 80, I’m thinking going back to stock height, @crikeymike said I can use my 60018/60020 shocks together with my factory oem coil spring? My radius arm were change too went I went 2” lift they put Oldmanemu yellow caster bushings. Should I change them again back to toyota oem caster rubber bushing If I want to go back to stock height?
Yeah, otherwise you'll have too much caster since it's not lifted. You'll need to go back to stock bushings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom