Stock ride height… determining lift size (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. As pictured, I measure 6.375" between the stop and the plate, gross dimension. So a 4.5-5" lift per this thread.
Ok I missed that

But I still think it's less, it's from the top of the spring retainer not the first rap of the coil spring. I use a smaller tape measure and put inside the coil 😜

Last edited:
Any chance to get an
Top of lower spring seat to bottom of bumpstop at the front. There is a 'factory' measurement for this but not sure of the number. Both sides should be close to the same.
Any chance to get an official document from Toyota, stating this number?

Any chance to get an

Get some skin in the the game !
I posted the official numbers but either you didn’t read the post or didn’t believe me.

So look it up yourself 😎

Last edited:
Any chance to get an

This is published if you can find it.

Australian equivelant of DOT require vehicle manufacturers to provide "road vehicle descriptor system" data sheets before a vehicle will be approved for use on road. ( not certain I have the name correct)
Has loads of critical dimensions such as suspension heights.

Motor registry's have access to this data so they can determine if you've modified suspension etc

Last edited:
Ok I missed that

But I still think it's less, it's from the top of the spring retainer not the first rap of the coil spring. I use a smaller tape measure and put inside the coil 😜
Again, no. I set the tape's hook at the approx height as the highest point of the lower retainer, not blindly "at the coil", what you saw is parallax error. When measuring inside the coil, from the lowest spot of the upper bump and highest spot of the lower retainer, I have at least 6 3/4", as shown below.

6.75" = 171.45 mm less 36mm per stickies = 135.45mm = 5.33" or 5 1/3" lift.

Double checking:

Vasopressor stock rig with 275/70R16 has a diameter of about 31.2", half is 15.6"
I run STT Pro's 37", half is 18.5" (both of these are nominal not actual dims)

His frame to floor is: 14.875"
The lowest point of my frame from level garage floor is: 23.5"

18.5 - 15.6 = 2.9 of tire radius difference
23.5 - 14.875 = 8.625 gross frame height difference, correcting for 2.9" radius delta = 5.725 gross approximation using nominal not actual tire diameters.

spring upper.png

spring lower.png

Good measurements good math😉
How does it handle with that much lift.
When I tried that much lift I thought it was sketchy.
I’m current now at 2 3/4” to 3” of lift with 39s and lot of cutting to make it work = a super stable ultra capable Rig.

Last edited:
Good measurements good math😉
How does it handle with that much lift.
When I tried that much lift I thought it was sketchy.
I’m current now at 2 3/4” to 3” of lift with 39s and lot of cutting to make it work = a super stable ultra capable Rig.
Before my body mod, it used to have 3-3.5" of lift based on OME Heavy/J springs, pictured here with 37" KM2's:

...and I could tell it was taller when I got it back, just by climbing into it:

Note, the body swap = 1200+ pounds lighter, his "truck number one" had stock springs and was way too stiff, so no chance my J's would work, so we went with much softer springs, but on the light body, they're also longer (something from Australia "slinky springs"). The shocks we upgraded to this setup front and rear: 91-97 LAND CRUISER 80 4-6 - https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/11226/icon%2Daccessories%2D91%2D97%2Dland%2Dcruiser%2D80%2D4%2D6%2Dfront%2D25%2Dvs%2Drr%2Dcdcv%2Dpair/ (4-6" range with external reservoir and 10 stage adjustable on the trail via res.knob)

The front correction, I used to simply have the caster correction bushings, but when it was out at Redline, he swapped in the Slee front Billet arms, SLEE - Billet Front Control Arms - '91-'97 Land Cruiser - Slee Off Road - https://sleeoffroad.com/products/sok1081/, which correct for a up to a 6" lift.

Once I got it back, I did add the Delta rear panhard lift bracket, I opted for the 5" version of this: Delta Vehicle Systems - FJ/FZJ80/LX450 Rear Panhard Lift Bracket - https://www.deltavs.com/all-products/fj-fzj80-lx450-panhard-lift-bracket.

So it drives great: lots of clearance and it is lighter and mid-engine'd** so in many ways better than stock.

The only true negative is: **due to the need to shift the engine/transmission/t-case "backwards" 6" to expose the front frame rails for the 40 aesthetic, the front anti-sway bar didn't fit, so I don't run one up front (only the rear one). So high speed evasive maneuvers would be.... more exciting that stock... Thankfully I have other cars that go fast, I am rather tame when in this truck... this one is all about capability.

Before my body mod, it used to have 3-3.5" of lift based on OME Heavy/J springs, pictured here with 37" KM2's:

...and I could tell it was taller when I got it back, just by climbing into it:

Note, the body swap = 1200+ pounds lighter, his "truck number one" had stock springs and was way too stiff, so no chance my J's would work, so we went with much softer springs, but on the light body, they're also longer (something from Australia "slinky springs"). The shocks we upgraded to this setup front and rear: 91-97 LAND CRUISER 80 4-6 - https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/11226/icon%2Daccessories%2D91%2D97%2Dland%2Dcruiser%2D80%2D4%2D6%2Dfront%2D25%2Dvs%2Drr%2Dcdcv%2Dpair/ (4-6" range with external reservoir and 10 stage adjustable on the trail via res.knob)

The front correction, I used to simply have the caster correction bushings, but when it was out at Redline, he swapped in the Slee front Billet arms, SLEE - Billet Front Control Arms - '91-'97 Land Cruiser - Slee Off Road - https://sleeoffroad.com/products/sok1081/, which correct for a up to a 6" lift.

Once I got it back, I did add the Delta rear panhard lift bracket, I opted for the 5" version of this: Delta Vehicle Systems - FJ/FZJ80/LX450 Rear Panhard Lift Bracket - https://www.deltavs.com/all-products/fj-fzj80-lx450-panhard-lift-bracket.

So it drives great: lots of clearance and it is lighter and mid-engine'd** so in many ways better than stock.

The only true negative is: **due to the need to shift the engine/transmission/t-case "backwards" 6" to expose the front frame rails for the 40 aesthetic, the front anti-sway bar didn't fit, so I don't run one up front (only the rear one). So high speed evasive maneuvers would be.... more exciting that stock... Thankfully I have other cars that go fast, I am rather tame when in this truck... this one is all about capability.

Very cool rig !
I two was only concern with capability so my rig is as light and low as possible.
I have tried four different sets of springs, including Js and slinky and currently Run Dobson springs They have lower spring rating, and a taller free height.

Very cool rig !
I two was only concern with capability so my rig is as light and low as possible.
I have tried four different sets of springs, including Js and slinky and currently Run Dobson springs They have lower spring rating, and a taller free height.
Dobson, i'll keep them in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom