Stock ride height… determining lift size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I assume it’s possible to determine one’s “lift height” by measuring from the bottom of the frame to a level driving surface (accounting for any different tire size from stock)?

If so, does anyone know the distance between the bottom of an 80 series frame in stock form and the road? If you have a stock vehicle, could you measure it?

Background/why:

I used to have the J Springs which gave me nearly 3 inches of lift when I had a steel body as a traditional 80 series.

When Redline put on the aluminum tub, even stock springs would have been too stiff, and the J springs were out of the question (justin measured about 1100 to 1200 pounds of weight loss moving to the Aqualu tub)

He sourced some springs from down under called “slinkies”. We also moved to the slee front control arms, and he fabricated custom rear control arms. The lift was drastic enough that I purchased the Delta vehicle Systems rear Panhard arm bracket.

In the end, the truck sits pretty high- plenty driveable at low and high speeds, and it still takes an alignment - but I really have no idea of the lift height and was curious.

You can find all that information in the the compiled suspension information, in the stickies.
I short form the center of the front hub to the bottom of the flare stock is 20” so if you measurement is 23 you have a 3” lift.

from the center of the front hub to the bottom of the flare stock is 20”
Is that measurement correct for both rear and front?

Last edited:
Since I'm having some difficulty passing MOT here in Israel, due to "vehicle too high" thing, I'm looking for an official Toyota document stating the original height of an LC 80 (preferably from hub center to flare bottom, rear and front).
Can anyone point me to such a document or point me in any direction?

You can find all that information in the the compiled suspension information, in the stickies.
I short form the center of the front hub to the bottom of the flare stock is 20” so if you measurement is 23 you have a 3” lift.
The 80 body is long gone from his rig, hence the frame to ground question.

Since I'm having some difficulty passing MOT here in Israel, due to "vehicle too high" thing, I'm looking for an official Toyota document stating the original height of an LC 80 (preferably from hub center to flare bottom, rear and front).
Can anyone point me to such a document or point me in any direction
The 80 body is long gone from his rig, hence the frame to ground question.
Like I said it's all in the stickies, you just have to look !!

I'm just pointing out your flare to hub suggestion is not relevant in the OP's case. I don't recall seeing frame to ground numbers in the thread you're referencing. As you point out, most lift measurements on 80s use flare to hub.

center of the front hub to the bottom of the flare stock is 20”

Any idea what this measurement be on a stock 80 with no flares?

What would this measurement be with no flares?
Pretty much the same.
I'm just pointing out your flare to hub suggestion is not relevant in the OP's case. I don't recall seeing frame to ground numbers in the thread you're referencing. As you point out, most lift measurements on 80s use flare to hub.
Again you just have to look ( not trying to be a A** hat ) but it all there !
and it's in the Owner hand book, show's you how to measure from the bump stops to the axle and there's a way you can measure the difference between the Panhard bolts to determine lift height.

I think I’ve seen it in the FSM that the distance between the bump stop inside the front spring and the landing pad is 50mm. So, larger distance minus 50mm = lift.

I think I’ve seen it in the FSM that the distance between the bump stop inside the front spring and the landing pad is 50mm. So, larger distance minus 50mm = lift.
Thanks for this nugget. I'm at about 6 3/8" so seems like 4" give or take.

IMG_4779.jpg

Can anyone point me to such a document or point me in any direction?
Original height was 73.6 inches. You can find this online, and that's with original 31 inch tall tires. If you have 33 tires and are 77 inches high, your lift is 2.4 inches. Tire diameter of 33 minus 31 equals 2. Divided by 2 gives you how much higher the tires make your truck-1 inch. The rest of height is from the lift.

Original height was 73.6 inches. You can find this online, and that's with original 31 inch tall tires. If you have 33 tires and are 77 inches high, your lift is 2.4 inches. Tire diameter of 33 minus 31 equals 2. Divided by 2 gives you how much higher the tires make your truck-1 inch. The rest of height is from the lift.
The height of hub center to flare bottom is not affected by the tire size, and that is what the MOT guys are measuring.

Top of lower spring seat to bottom of bumpstop at the front. There is a 'factory' measurement for this but not sure of the number. Both sides should be close to the same.

Top of lower spring seat to bottom of bumpstop at the front. There is a 'factory' measurement for this but not sure of the number. Both sides should be close to the same.
Again in the sticks on the first page, but it appears people need to be spoonfed so here you go 😜
36mm or 1.42"
Using the bump stop method I’m somewhere around 4 1/2 inches.
3" lift

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom