Stay at Home: What are you doing to make the best of this time? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HVAC design is my day job. I'm guessing that you've been heating your house and you have a heat pump? If so its likely that the heat pump is not coming on or your thermostat is set to "emergency heat" which just uses an electric coil like a space heater. Those coils use a LOT of power. I'd check there first.

Thank you for the insight.
I do have a heat pump and it seems to just run continuously. The auto function doesn't seem to do anything. I set it at 73, and the thermostat eventually shows 73, but it never shuts off. The house has baseboard heaters as well, which is what the previous owners used. It seems like they knew that the system was messed up, but never bothered getting it fixed.

I've been looking at the energy usage, and the only days that are reasonably low are the days I didn't run the heat at all. It's been off for a couple days and usage is way down.

Screenshot_20200501-153757_Chrome.jpg

Electric baseboard heaters also have restive coils and will have the same effect as using a space heater or emergency heat on your heat pump ($$$ compared to a heat pump). I'd start by turning all of those completely off and see what happens. Also in the future I would personally keep them off if the temperature is above 40-45°F (older heat pumps lose at least half of their capacity below that temp). One other thing to check is if the unit outside is frozen (of less likely in heating, if the coil inside the house is frozen). There are a few things that could cause them to freeze but usually when either starts to freeze the unit keeps running continuously because the thermostat is still calling for heat or cold and the unit isn't outputting anything.

Well I haven’t had any time at home yet but I started a project that didn’t require much bending over or heavy lifting due to my back. I still need to repair the frame on my 40. But I started out with some really old crusty stock wheels. I blasted the wheels then cut them down the middle. Cut the center out. Welded in 2 1/4” wide bands then cleaned them up and rewelded the center. Then the outer bead lock ring got welded up and then painted smoke gray. I only got two wheels done then my back let go. I got a epidural yesterday and I have to take it easy for a week or two so might have them done by relic run.

0B7D54D5-B4EE-4B9D-93B0-D4E18954BD66.jpeg

D1E017FF-7852-4FD3-ACC3-6B9FD4C01409.jpeg

F5522C50-928C-4C52-8F39-B11E7CA8D089.jpeg

236EC277-E257-4F12-8662-B542A0B17ECE.jpeg

485B335B-3017-4ABC-88A6-F7E8A2996252.jpeg

Well I haven’t had any time at home yet but I started a project that didn’t require much bending over or heavy lifting due to my back. I still need to repair the frame on my 40. But I started out with some really old crusty stock wheels. I blasted the wheels then cut them down the middle. Cut the center out. Welded in 2 1/4” wide bands then cleaned them up and rewelded the center. Then the outer bead lock ring got welded up and then painted smoke gray. I only got two wheels done then my back let go. I got a epidural yesterday and I have to take it easy for a week or two so might have them done by relic run.

View attachment 2293042

View attachment 2293043

View attachment 2293044

View attachment 2293046

View attachment 2293048
Wow! Industrious, you are.

Headed to Green Ridge State Forest today to check it out. The park was ok but happy to get some dirt under the tires and see how the new 60 did on a little trip. Definitely some projects for the list. My kid loved the mini stream crossings.

B6E24B17-6EC5-4FB8-904A-1DD21AFD4CEA.jpeg

83139267-8D2B-459C-BAFD-F3B84FE3F4F3.jpeg

37F8F6E1-0564-43AE-B5F8-88E2B1E797FA.jpeg

Amazing truck you got there

Thanks! I was tempted to go do the run in GWNF today with the other guys but hadn’t driven it that far yet. Definitely has some death wobble after about 60mph and a couple other things to figure out but it’s been a lot of fun.

@mwalls54 nice job! I’ve always wanted to do that but was never that ambitious. Where did you get your bead locks from?

Well, got the rebuild kit and finished the Echo weed trimmer carb rebuild. Found a suitable video on the rebuild and had it running good as new lickety split. Carb's a tiny thing. Where's Allen's "Fort Knox" "that was easy" button?

Just thought I'd attach pics of the spring bolt setup I have on the shed that connects the top and bottom bolts, only the top one shows in one pic and the other shows the strap steel astragal that covers the gap between the doors.

DSC00095.JPG
DSC00096.JPG
. Cable

Last edited:
Slowly building the little 05 GTI into a rally cross car. Lifted it with 2 inch lift springs, and Bilstein HD shock (forget series number). Installed stud conversion kit, no more lug studs which makes for easier tire changes. Was working on installing the steel skid plate today, I HATE rivnuts!!!!!

Well, got the rebuild kit and finished the Echo weed trimmer carb rebuild. Found a suitable video on the rebuild and had it running good as new liketty split. Carb's a tiny thing. Where's Allen's "Fort Knox" "that was easy" button?

Just thought I'd attach pics of the spring bolt setup I have on the shed that connects the top and bottom bolts, only the top one shows in one pic and the other shows the strap steel astragal that covers the gap between the doors.

View attachment 2295247View attachment 2295248. Cable
Dan you are the only person I have ever known to use the word "astragal". But I guess I'm not surprised..... Here's hoping your health has improved and that we see you on the trail sometime this year. We sure were on a lot of trail rides together over the years!!!!!

Seems we'll be doing a bit of training and getting a lot more exercise during this stay at home thing. We just picked up Dino from a shelter. 5 years old and is VERY calm so far. He's actually asleep at my feet as I write this.

IMG_9268.jpg

Seems we'll be doing a bit of training and getting a lot more exercise during this stay at home thing. We just picked up Dino from a shelter. 5 years old and is VERY calm so far. He's actually asleep at my feet as I write this.

View attachment 2297449
What a handsome devil. and yes, I mean Dino.

Shameless plug/campaigning... Virtual Car Show - Quarantine Edition

Was suppose to take part in Craftsman Autocare's car show on the 26th of April. Given the current situation, it went virtual. Vote for your favorite...

They are also endeavoring to provide meals to local healthcare workers at the front lines of the pandemic: Feed a HERO

Walked the dog this morning and finally met Jim who lives a few blocks away from me. Hes got a few rigs parked at his house and said he goes way back with some of you guys to the beginning of the club.

Slowly building the little 05 GTI into a rally cross car. Lifted it with 2 inch lift springs, and Bilstein HD shock (forget series number). Installed stud conversion kit, no more lug studs which makes for easier tire changes. Was working on installing the steel skid plate today, I HATE rivnuts!!!!!

Post some pics. I had a 2002 GTI 337 edition back in the day. It was the first car I bought myself out of college. It had 1200 miles on it when I bought and sold it with 113k miles. A lot of fun times in that car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom