Easter Bunny II: Mild build thread, 5th Gen Discussion and Adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diff Kraken

SILVER Star
Threads
Well... here I am again. This is my second time purchasing a Super White (Paint Code #040 - for '24 they call it "Ice Cap") 5th Gen TRD Off Road Premium 4Runner with KDSS, my 5th Toyota truck purchase, my 4th white Toyota truck, my 7th Toyota, my 6th Tahara Plant produced Toyota, and my 16th vehicle purchase. I'm a big sucker for white Toyotas. My plan is to keep this one longer than the rest. Hopefully forever...

I think now is the time to snag a factory fresh 5th gen 4Runner. This 1GR-FE V6 with the 5 speed is bulletproof. As far as I know, nothing goes wrong with this drivetrain. Toyota has been making the 1GR-FE for 22 years at this point. Among other current Toyota offerings with older engine designs, I think this may be the most reliable powertrain available on any US market consumer level truck for sale today and for the foreseeable future. Additionally, the 5th gen is made at the Tahara plant in Japan where my 200 series Land Cruiser, 120 Prado/GX470 and '89 Pickup/Hilux rolled off the line. That's trail cred.

At this unique moment in time, these trucks are sitting on dealer lots looking for buyers. I was able to snag this truck at $4k under MSRP and under invoice at the beginning of the month.

The hype surrounding the upcoming 250 LC and GX550, the 6th gen 4Runner, and a possible mini LC, has people waiting on the sidelines for the new vehicles in this class. That's certainly understandable- but I feel like the 5th gen is similar to the 60 series when the 80 series was about to launch. Yeah- the 80 LC was without a doubt an improvement, but as time went on, the 60 series held it's own and was still a legend. Of course the 80 and the 60 had the same engine at the 80's launch, but, as we know, the next LC and the next 4Runner will have hybrid and/or turbo motors. Toyota does great with those technologies, but if you're a luddite like me, a 22 year old NA V6 sounds like the way to go. When else can you buy a brand new factory fresh 22 year old bulletproof Toyota legendary drivetrain- let alone with a factory rear locker?

And, while the 1GR-FE paired with the 5-speed auto is not a race car or a tow rig for heavy loads, it is more than powerful enough in my experience. The 1GR-FE has been offered in the following platforms, pretty impressive:

Applications with Dual VVT-i (calendar years):

I'm in love. Please meet Easter Bunny 2.0 and follow my thread for an OEM+ build, adventures, and mussings as we head into 250 LC, GX550 and 6th Gen 4Runner season. And by all means- please join the conversation. I'm always interested in what other mudders think on all this. 🐇 🤠

IMG_1196.jpeg

Last edited:
Already got 250 miles on the odometer, so in preparation of being past the break-in period I have placed a couple orders. En route:

1) RCI Front Skid, KDSS Version, Steel, Powder coated
2) RCI Front Skid Filler Plate, Steel, Powder coated
3) RCI Rock Sliders, 5 degree, no top plate, Powder coated
4) Cornfed 1" Front Spacer Lift (Toyota makes the same type and size of spacers that fit the 200 series Land Cruiser as OEM, so this is Toyota approved)
5) 255/75r17 32” C-Rated KO2 tires x 5

Can't wait to take her out on the trails... public trails and green trails at TLCA events for this rig.

1711486820730.png

1711411005562.png

1711410894231.png

1711411095102.png

1711411190476.png

Last edited:
Having breakfast with my wife the morning after I bought it and she says: "Please don't modify the new truck or take it off road." I texted her this meme and started ordering stuff. Didn't know what else to do.

IMG_1217.jpeg

Subbed. Curious how the load range c bfg ‘s ride. Sweet rig, and I agree the 4.0 v6 is bulletproof.

This will be my 3rd set of KO2s in C Load. I think they're perfect for this platform- 120 and 150. I had them on my GX470 and my previous 5th gen 4R. The E rated works too, but C rated is a little softer riding while providing good protection off road. If it was a heavier build, or I intended to hit harder trails, I'd likely go E rated just for peace of mind.

Well... here I am again. This is my second Super White (Paint Code #040 - for '24 they call it "Ice Cap") 5th Gen TRD Off Road Premium 4Runner, my 5th Toyota truck, my 4th white Toyota truck, my 5th Tahara Plant produced Toyota truck, and my 16th vehicle purchase. I'm a big sucker for white Toyota's. My plan is to keep this one longer than the rest. Hopefully forever...

I think that now is the time to snag a factory fresh 5th gen 4Runner. This 1GR-FE V6 with the 5 speed is bulletproof. Nothing goes wrong with this drivetrain. Toyota has been making the 1GR-FE for 22 years at this point. It may be the most, or certainly a top 5, for most reliable engines ever made. The 5th gen is made in the Tahara plant where my 200 series Land Cruiser, GX470 and '89 Hilux rolled off the line. That's trail cred right there

At this unique moment in time, these truck are sitting on dealer lots looking for buyers. I was able to snag this truck at $4k under MSRP and under invoice at the beginning of the month.

The hype surrounding the upcoming 250 LC and GX550, the 6th gen 4Runner, and a possible mini LC, has people waiting on the sidelines for the new vehicles. That's certainly understandable- but I feel like the 5th gen is similar to when the 80 series was about to launch. Yeah- the 80 LC was without a doubt an improvement, but as time went on, the 60 series held it's own and was still a legend. Of course the 80 and the 60 had the same engine, but, as we know, the next LC and the next 4Runner will have hybrid and/or turbo motors. Toyota does great with those technologies, but if you're a luddite like me, a NA 22 year old V6 sounds like the way to go. When else can you buy a brand new factory fresh 22 year old bulletproof Toyota legendary drivetrain- let alone with a factory rear locker?

And, while the 1GR-FE paired with the 5-speed auto is not a race car, it is quick enough in my experience. The 1GR-FE has been offered in the following platforms, pretty impressive:

Applications with Dual VVT-i (calendar years):

I'm in love. Please meet Easter Bunny 2.0 and follow my thread for an OEM+ build, adventures, and mussings as we head into 250 LC, GX550 and 6th Gen 4Runner season. And by all means- please join the conversation. I'm always interested in what other mudders think on all this. 🐇 🤠

View attachment 3591100
Beautiful truck. ☀️. I totally understand you.... Have had many T4R's including 5 5th gens. Lol. Thinking about the same you did / said... 🤔😂.

Good luck on your journey !

Below is a good read and video about the Tahara plant, opened in 1979.

The following vehicles have been produced at the Tahara plant. You can see the top Lexus models listed here, so we know this is Toyota's crown jewel of production quality and process perfection:

Lexus:
IS
GS
LS
GX
LX

Toyota:
Celica
Land Cruiser
Land Cruiser Prado
Rav4
4Runner

From wikipedia: "Employees look through 4,000 details for every car produced. The plant creates a Lexus every 87 seconds, equal to 675 Lexus models per day. When employees enter the factory floor, they pass through an air shower to remove dust. They are required to exercise and perform other physical activities such as holding and rolling golf balls in their palms. These motor exercises keep staff sharp, and Toyota believes these behaviors are essential to help retain the standards necessary to produce flawless vehicles."

It also looks like they produce engines at the Tahara plant that get put into some of the Land Cruisers that are assembled at the Yoshiwara plant (Toyota Auto Body/Araco - home of the 40, 55, 60, 70, 80, 100, 200 & 300)

Last year while visiting family in Toyota City, Japan, I was able to hire a taxi to go out and visit the Yoshiwara plant with my wife and son. We were able to watch the 300 and 70 series rolling out of the plant onto the back lot to be loaded onto car hauler trucks. That was a really fun experience. I hope to do the same at the Tahara plant as well some day- maybe even watch the production process inside.

Last edited:
6th Gen 4Runner released yesterday. Still made at the Tahara plant. It looks a lot more aggressive- like the head of a T-Rex. The improved MPG and power of the 6th gen sound great and I like the look. But I think I prefer the more subtle design of the 5th gen as a "family car" and prefer keeping the good old V6. I also prefer the interior of the 5th gen at first glance. It will be nice for future buyers to have factory heavy duty skids, rock sliders, front sway bar disconnect, 2.5" Old Man Emu lift and 33" tires from the factory, but I'll add my 1" front spacer, 32" tires, sliders, skids to my 5th gen and call it a day. Cool truck though- I guess I'll be a 5th gen and 6th gen fan. No regerts.🤙

1712782652256.png

PS- Cross-threaded the bolts on my passenger-side KDSS sway bar bracket connecting them back to the LCA this morning while getting ready to put the spacers on. Got 620 miles on the truck so that's totally fine. 😅🔥 Metric tap and die set and a couple of new OEM M12 x 1.25 bolts (Toyota Part No. 90119-12386) and good to go. Apparently this is a common problem to run into due to the pressure the KDSS system puts on the sway bar making it very difficult to line the bracket bolts up perfectly perpendicular to get good contact with the female threads in the LCA.

Last edited:
I'm right there with you with the 6th gen...it looks cool but I prefer 5th gen exterior and interior. I had a 14' 4runner and looking at getting a 24'.

Never too young to start washing daddy's truck. Hoping it'll be his first car... 🧼

IMG_2618.jpeg

And 5 new shoes... 🤠

IMG_2649.jpeg

IMG_2671.jpeg

255/75r17 BFG KO2s C-Load

Next up is to get the 1/2" Cornfed spacers on and install the RCI skid and rock sliders. Had planned to do the spacers first and then tires, but the cross-threaded KDSS sway bar bracket bolts threw off my schedule and order of operations. All parts arrived over the last month- took 3 weeks for the rock sliders and 1 week for the skids and spacers to arrive. Not a bad wait at all. I'll put some time aside this month to complete the build.

Last edited:
Installed the Cornfed 1/2" front spacers (yields a 1" lift), the RCI engine skid, and RCI filler plate on the new rig today. With the 255/75r17 (32") C Rated KO2s installed last week, this gives a decent 9.8" of clearance. The RCI rock sliders will go on sometime later this week and that will complete the build for this rig.

PS- KDSS sway bars are a PITA. But worth it for the extra articulation and on road handling.

My full tutorial of the 1/2" spacer install found here:

IMG_3085.png

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3073.jpeg

IMG_3022.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom