Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

7/16 ARP hardware really makes that big of a difference? With the shear strength of the additional dowels in place are you guys seeing a bunch of stud failures? I get it the original metric threads in the hub are boogered and this is a fix. And yeah, I get the strength difference between the ARPs and original studs, I'd just never have thought of it as a significant point of failure after upgrading to the 6 pin RCVs. Interested since I'm planning on sticking the 300M RCVs in the back in the near future (assuming they're not backordered for 6 months).

Regardless, looks like Cruisermatt did a really nice job.

Firstly I think that M8 studs are just too small for anything larger then a stock tire. Think about it. 100% of your drive torque is being transmitted through them.
However it is also my opinion that the higher torque from the bigger bolts preventing the assembly from ever loosening is the real upgrade. In almost all cases of the original studs breaking it's after a few have started to loosen up. Much like you see with 80 knuckle stud failures.
However if you try to torque down the stock hub studs tighter or over and over again repeatedly you're just going to strip or break them.

So with that's said here's the difference between going bigger on the bolts vs 6-dowel and why I prefer the bigger bolts:

Yes the 6-dowels are literally doubling the amount of fastener shank that the flange sees, but you're relying on whomever did the installation job to have done it correctly so everything is a tight fit. Since the dowels aren't clamping anything you're relying 100% on machine fit-up. So it has to be perfect. The 7/16" bolts don't.

As for @spyduh setup, I only added the extra dowel spots since he wanted them. I don't think they're needed. I got denied trying to enlarge the RCV flanges to 7/16" though :lol:

Last edited:
denied trying to enlarge the RCV flanges to 7/16" though :lol:
I contacted RCV about shipping back my flanges and paying for machine work to get them to 7/16. Otherwise ordering a custom flange already drilled for 7/16.

As for 6 dowels and 7/16. Well I wanted Overkill!

Update. Sending my flanges to RCV for machine work. Price wasn't too bad for getting them done. Note: they will take off-shelf TOY-DF flanges and enlarge to 7/16. It will cost extra money since it's going back for machine work. But I think it's well worth it for those that want to upgrade to 7/16 using RCVs.

Running my spare set of HUBs this trip with OEM 8mm hardware. I ditched whatever ARP 8mm studs I had left that were NOT snapped. The 8mm ARP studs that are not snapped are bent and compromised. Spent $75 ARP hardware and lasted 1 trip. Sigh.

Why are 7/16 ARP so much cheaper than 8mm ARPs with cones/washer/nut. Ridiculously cheaper!

I'm in no way saying 7/16 was a cheaper upgrade all together. But from what I hear, 7/16 is by far a stronger upgrade. They also look pretty damn nice too. At least @jcardona1 7/16 hardware looks blinged out! I have inferior photography skills compared to his shots/angles.

Last edited:
Update. Sending my flanges to RCV for machine work. Price wasn't too bad for getting them done. Note: they will take off-shelf TOY-DF flanges and enlarge to 7/16. It will cost extra money since it's going back for machine work. But I think it's well worth it for those that want to upgrade to 7/16 using RCVs.

Running my spare set of HUBs this trip with OEM 8mm hardware. I ditched whatever ARP 8mm studs I had left that were NOT snapped. The 8mm ARP studs that are not snapped are bent and compromised. Spent $75 ARP hardware and lasted 1 trip. Sigh.

Why are 7/16 ARP so much cheaper than 8mm ARPs with cones/washer/nut. Ridiculously cheaper!

I'm in no way saying 7/16 was a cheaper upgrade all together. But from what I hear, 7/16 is by far a stronger upgrade. They also look pretty damn nice too. At least @jcardona1 7/16 hardware looks blinged out! I have inferior photography skills compared to his shots/angles.

That's pretty cool, I didn't realize RCV would do custom machine work. Did they mention what this does to the warranty?

That's pretty cool, I didn't realize RCV would do custom machine work. Did they mention what this does to the warranty?

The guy on the phone that I called on the custom order dept said he has never seen a toy flange break and come back to him for a warranty in 5? years.

He said my warranty stays intact with the mod they drill out

The guy on the phone that I called on the custom order dept said he has never seen a toy flange break and come back to him for a warranty in 5? years.

He said my warranty stays intact with the mod they drill out
That's cool.

Just keep all your goodnot old, worn fasteners properly torqued and you’ll be ok. You know how I roll and Ie never broken the factory sized oem stuff or the ARP stuff.

I’m bringing axles, drivelines, knuckles, and a tie rod to Sierra Trek because I know how you drive. :rofl:

Hey, bring me a good 37” spare because now I have two cut sidewalls……

I washed both 80s and the trailer. Yeah it'll get dirty this weekend.

IMG_20210810_184129.jpg

Nice carnage!!

Dang! Are those the RCV flanges? Saw a video of you on Instagram. I think you need a rock bouncer on some Rockwells :D

Dang! Are those the RCV flanges? Saw a video of you on Instagram. I think you need a rock bouncer on some Rockwells :D
yes RCV 4340. haha that video is my buddy driving the truck. I gave him the keys to have fun. He took the truck out the morning after we fixed it after he rescued me and brought spare parts from my house. I just stayed at camp and took the kids to the lake to play in the water. I was beat and tired after nearly 24hrs no sleep and hard wheeling just to get to WH3.

I do not drive my truck like that. He did damage my qtr really bad too but whatever. he rescued me and my truck with parts.

One thing to add is that WARN makes a TOUGH winch. The Zeon 10S is SLOW as crap but it was damn reliable. I used the winch the entire day after I broke my first shaft all the way till I was 1 wheel drive on WH3.

There were times the Zeon did constant 10 minutes winching and it would not quit. I think I might have burnt it out? I haven't used it since WH3 after it got super slow and hot. I might need to get that warrantied too. I know the syn rope for sure is done. I'm surprised it didn't snap by now since its hang on with 25% less threads.

Any other s***tybuilt non-usa winch would not have faired the amount of constant non-stop winching abuse it was being forced to do!

Last edited:
Warn spydura rope hanging on by 7 strands.

Was thinking of new knock off Amazon rope but I'm pretty sure the knock off rope would have snapped and not taken the abuse it was getting with a V8 Willy's tug me up on it.

Going to end up spending $350 on a new warn rope. I tested the zeon 10 and it's still good as new rolling in and out strong.

I will turn these left overs into many soft shackles

IMG_20210818_160136.jpg

IMG_20210818_154421.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom