Spartan locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

myquestoyota

SILVER Star
Threads
I ordered a complete differential with a Spartan locker from Marlin back in 2019. Health issues prevented me from installing it in my '77 FJ40. I am finally able to tackle this project and just took it out of the box yesterday. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reinstall the clips at the end of the axles. It looks like it may be for a full floating axle which I do not have. Anyone with some experience with one of these? No one at Marlin answers the phone.

Spartan differential.jpg

See the bolt head at upper left, not the main cap, the one in the carrier, take that out, then the cross shaft will come out, then you can get to the locker parts and c clips through the windows in carrier body.
Marlin crew may not be answering as he " Marlin " recently passed, RIP.

Thanks, I have received a follow up email from them and I do see the cross pin but can't see where there's room for doing anything in there. Thanks again.

Can you be more specific? Thanks for the input. So I remove the pin, then what?

not a spartan locker but similar design

If this is like the lock Rii
I eliminated my C-clips.

By going to a full floating rear axle? I have a semi floating axle the C clips were eliminated but I didn't do it PO did it. The Torsen in the diff will not work with C clips.

It's kind of a PITA. It's good to have an extra set of hands to pull /push the axle shafts. I use needle nose pliers to hold the C-clip. Pull the axle shaft out just enough to see the groove. Take a long flat head screwdriver and place under the shaft. This will act as a guide for the clip. Place the clip in position and work it into place with the screwdriver. Then push shaft into carrier. It usually takes me 2-3 times and alot of cussing to get it. The cussing works well.

I have the rear installed and was getting the axle out of the back of my truck with my tractor and forks with one wheel locked and the other one free and it sounded like a popcorn popper and does not have oil in it yet. Don't know how it will sound once I am in the cab driving.

It’s an Aussie locker in a jeep but “THIS” vid might help ya also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom