Rear lunchbox locker. 72 FJ 40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah ho young warrior..

I have a feeling this is one of those questions that will generate a lot of responses. Everything will be prefaced by “what kind of driving do you do”?

Where are you in Alaska?

Ah ho young warrior..

I have a feeling this is one of those questions that will generate a lot of responses. Everything will be prefaced by “what kind of driving do you do”?

Where are you in Alaska?
Interior, 100 miles east of Fairbanks

Interior, 100 miles east of Fairbanks
First off congratulations…😎

you off grid or next to it.? what year 40? Any mods? You driving on Perma? you hunt with this rig etc etc etc.

the more info you can put out the better response you’ll get. Several Alaska members on board. I’ll try and tag a couple for your benefit…

Thanks for the reply. I am off grid, very little pavement driving, 72 FJ 40 completely stock. I use the rig around the homestead, pretty muddy or snowy conditions mostly.
First off congratulations…😎

you off grid or next to it.? what year 40? Any mods? You driving on Perma? you hunt with this rig etc etc etc.

the more info you can put out the better response you’ll get. Several Alaska members on board. I’ll try and tag a couple for your benefit…

I ran a lockrite for yrs. It was cheap and worked well. It'll crunch and pop all the time. You'll swear you blew something up. That's the way they are. They will effect steering on acceleration and deacceleration on pavement. That's what they do. My Detroit doesn't have those same characteristics. The lockrite didn't like the 36's, but it was 10yrs old by then.

I ran a lockrite for yrs. It was cheap and worked well. It'll crunch and pop all the time. You'll swear you blew something up. That's the way they are. They will effect steering on acceleration and deacceleration on pavement. That's what they do. My Detroit doesn't have those same characteristics. The lockrite didn't like the 36's, but it was 10yrs old by then.
Thanks, I think I will go with that or an aussie.

At the beginning of the 40 series tech section there is a pinned thread called “FAQ”. Scroll down and you will find a
Page titled “Lockers Lockers Lockers”….

If you are on the fence this should help….

FWIW I have run two different “drop in” lockers over the years. Both an EZ locker and currently an Aussie locker. Cracked my EZ many years ago.

I have been happy with my Aussie and work the heck out of it. Same comments as above on getting used to driving characteristics, but it serves me fine. Currently running 33s, 2F, Orion, etc…. Hard to beat the price and ease of install.

I have a Detroit to go in one of these days, but have been able to get in and out of most stuff in put my truck into (southeast rocks/mud, etc…).

With that said, I sheared pins in my Aussie last weekend, but after several years of abuse. When they sheared it “spooled” and I had another full day of fun and drove an hour home. 😎

Let us know what you decide! Below pic for fun.

IMG_9319.jpeg

IMG_9320.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom