Source for FJ55 Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Able radiator in Forest grove Oregon. Ask for Tom Chauvin. Cruiser Head who knows his stuff. My radiator from them still going strong after 15 years. 5 core, dimple tube. The 350 vortec never, ever ran hot even in Phoenix in summer.

Fyi I recently installed a summit (Griffin) aluminum radiator. I had to get some brackets welded on but it worked nice. I wil try to get pictures and part numbers this weekend. All total it was less than 300.

Here are the pics. I am still working on the part number. Kg

20120708_174854.jpg

20120708_174847.jpg

I ordered a Griffin aluminum race radiator 24" x 19"..summit part number GRI-1-25202-X. For $185.95. I also had the brackets tig welded on for another $80. So there you go. Good luck.

I'm not sure if they are the same across all years. I had a heck of a time with mine, 1971 FJ55. I looked at FJ60, FJ40 and other Toyota radiators. Looked at some Dodge Dart and Duster radiators as they were somewhat close. I considered aluminum due to price but really didnt want it in the engine bay as the other components are stock and wanted to try to maintain the stock look. If you dont mind the look, go aluminum.

Attached are the rough dimensions I collected from my 1971 FJ55 radiator.

20200417_130656.jpg

I'm not sure if they are the same across all years. I had a heck of a time with mine, 1971 FJ55. I looked at FJ60, FJ40 and other Toyota radiators. Looked at some Dodge Dart and Duster radiators as they were somewhat close. I considered aluminum due to price but really didnt want it in the engine bay as the other components are stock and wanted to try to maintain the stock look. If you dont mind the look, go aluminum.

Attached are the rough dimensions I collected from my 1971 FJ55 radiator.

View attachment 2401698

Forgot to mention, I ended up having mine rebuilt with a new core and reused the existing tanks from it. 1 year warranty and no leaks thus far.

replaced mine last month ,, the 79 radiator is larger than the rest height is the same but the 79 is 1 1/4 wider .
radiator 5.jpg

radiator 7.jpg

radiator 6.jpg

I’ve adapted an FJ40 radiator to work in the past. It’s dimensionally narrower so you lose your shroud unless you go through the trouble of adapting.
A much better alternative would be to take your original radiator and have it re-cored by a reputable radiator shop.

i had my spare 74 , redone with a new core , and will send the leaky one out for the same , for a spare . after looking for a 79 radiator for over a year , misguidedly believing i needed the extra inch

i had my spare 74 , redone with a new core , and will send the leaky one out for the same , for a spare . after looking for a 79 radiator for over a year , misguidedly believing i needed the extra inch
I'm not going to start it, waiting for Barry White music. :)

Oh yeah!

Sometimes you need that inch in a pinch...

Don’t forget Evan, the ‘79 might be an inch longer, but it is skinnier.

Is it better to be longer? Or thicker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom