Source for FJ55 Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise said:
What is involved in cramming a 60 radiator into a later 55?

I would think this would help a lot, given the # of 60's out there...

the 60 rad is just about an inch wider on each end. all it would take is a wider mounting surface in the piggy. not a big deal i dont think

RHINO said:
the 60 rad is just about an inch wider on each end. all it would take is a wider mounting surface in the piggy. not a big deal i dont think

Are the heights comparable?

I wonder if a 60 rad mount could be transplanted onto a piggy frame - then you could use 60 series rad hoses from the local parts store!

Anyone done this?

I had my radiator out sitting behind my Pig and some a-hole stole it. Does anyone have the measurements for the stock one? I've been thinking that since I am putting in a 350 that I would just find one that is close from Summit and fab up some mounts. From looking at the Pig, I think I can go a little wider than stock.

lingo said:
man-a-fre offers one of there billit al rad as a drop in replacement. it's a little spend at $469 though.

Thats what I have in my Pig too. I am running a SBC 350 and it seems to work just fine.

12 mos. later................

so what should i be worrying about the unit i just purchased from Lake Shore radiators for $51.15???? i just walked in and said i want a 1972 toyota landcruiser radiator, fj-55 and the man dissappeared and returned in less than 5 w/ a new rad. by CSF. thanks

so what should i be worrying about the unit i just purchased from Lake Shore radiators for $51.15???? i just walked in and said i want a 1972 toyota landcruiser radiator, fj-55 and the man dissappeared and returned in less than 5 w/ a new rad. by CSF. thanks

have you compared to ensure its the correct radiator? if you have want to pick one up for me? :)

I'd worry that I got an FJ-40 radiator. But if it fits, pass on the contact info for those of us in need!

Did it fit?

Can we have contact info?

dont know yet, i purchased to put in a rig i plan on picking up w/ a busted rad. dont have a pig hear to compare to so i dont know if it will fit hence the concern ( and the relatively cheap price compared to those listed here) the manufacturer is CSF and Lake Shore Radiator is a southeast parts distributor, happened to have a dist. ctr. here in greensboro nc.

http://www.lakeshoreautoparts.com/contact.html

In my 79 FJ55 I bought an FJ60 radiator, took the endstraps/mounting straps off the 60 radiator the transplanted the 55 endstraps/mounting straps to the 60 radiator. Once I did that it bolted right up. I did have to make some spacers for the shroud to fit, but everything has worked great. The only thing I can see as any type of possible issue is the radiator is about 1/2 inch closer to the fan.

Thanks
Scott

dang its for a 40:mad: , about 3'' to narrow. i asked em and they say all they have is for the "4"series ..... so still lookin

if you are going to get a rad from a different vehicle and fit, i would suggest FJ60,,, very very close fit, a hair wider but that can be solved in a few ways, most easily with angle welded to the rad support and drill holes in the angle to bolt on the rad, the plus side is that the 60 rad is excactly the same width as the opening on the pig so it would be fully ventilated.

If your around Seattle I can highly recommend Greenwood radiator. Ron is super friendly and knowledgeable. He even knew I had a Land Cruiser radiator as I was walking into his place with it. Under $100 and good as new. He can re-core or just refresh as needed.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=22133672

I just took my '73 (10/72) radiator to my local radiator shop...$361.54 to recore. 30+% increase in 'precious' metal prices last year. One plus, it should last another 35 years as he said the new cores are built solid, not so with the new radiators in most vehicles these days...metals too thin to repair and the tanks/fittings are fiberglass/plastic...you just throw those away and buy a new one (as long as they're still available e.g. < 10 yrs old)

Last edited:
to my knowledge there is no replacement drop in radiator, everything out there will need slight modification. if you want low price you will be modifying. a 40 rad is a tad narrow, and a 60 rad is a tad wide. a dodge trail duster rad is about as drop in as it gets, real close fit. the best way IMOP is to get the 55 rad re-cored as mentioned above, local shop charged me $220 for this service and i thought it was well worth it as i upped the fin count in the process and have had zero problems since. even cruising at 118* here in AZ

Is a re-core enough cooling for a Chevy 350? Planning to do the swap, want to make sure I take care of my motor.

Howdy! If you do a re-core, then go to a high-density core. Old ones are about 7 fins to the vertical inch, new style is about double that. I run one of these with a Flowcooler water pump. I have a 19" steel (stock style) fan w/o a clutch and I run truck pulleys on a v-belt which spin it a bit faster. I have no heat problems even without a shroud. Due to engine position, I used to be limited to a much smaller fan, but I moved the lower radiator outlet from the back of the tank to the bottom and used a 90 degree turned spout when I did the recore. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom