Slow Power Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that I have my rear power window channel guides aligned my windows go up and down without falling apart. But the windows go up very slowly. I used dry graphite lube on all moving parts and the rubber channels. Doesn't seem to help that much.

What would be your suggestions next? I really don't want to use grease as that attracts dirt. Would new window motors be in order?

Thanks for your suggestions.

No lube in the window runs should be necessary. You might go over the window channel run one more time to make sure they are installed correctly.

The grease that the factory put in the motor and on the regulators had a firm consistency back then and has since become very gummy and dirty. Once upon a time I disassembled all my doors, installed new rubber and did a thorough cleaning and application of new grease including inside the motors. After that work my windows close in less than half the time; something like 8 seconds. Summer faster than winter is common.

The ‘easiest’ way to solve your problem, albeit not the inexpensive way, is to replace the rubber window runs, the motor and clean and lube the regulator. I’ve done all that and it works.

However, if you only do one of the 3 or two of the 3 it still will be better....just not as good as it could be. Really up to you to decide how much $ you wanna spend and how much time you wanna invest.

I did all the windows about two years ago and it made a huge difference. Now I take the window runs out and clean them once a year and the ‘system‘ is still working pretty good.

All the above, but also consdier that the original window lift motors get weaker with age so sometimes the fix is to replace the motor. I found this to be true when attempting to fix my slow driver window issue. First did all the easy stuff, including cleaning and then replacing the Master switch, but the driver's window remained slow.

Then took the original motor apart, cleaned and regreased it with a low viscosity silicone grease (DC Molykote 33 light), cleaned up the armature/brushes, oiled the bushing, etc,etc. then hooked the motor back up to the regulator (also cleaned and greased), but the original motor still did not produce enough torque to lift the window glass. So next replaced the motor (Dorman part) and everything was back to normal. Going on 10 years and it's still working fine. FWIW.

I vote replacement. I tried all the other tricks and only after replacement did the problem resolve.
John

No lube in the window runs should be necessary. You might go over the window channel run one more time to make sure they are installed correctly.

The grease that the factory put in the motor and on the regulators had a firm consistency back then and has since become very gummy and dirty. Once upon a time I disassembled all my doors, installed new rubber and did a thorough cleaning and application of new grease including inside the motors. After that work my windows close in less than half the time; something like 8 seconds. Summer faster than winter is common.
What kind of grease did you use?

I don’t remember but I know it was thin s than the stuff I scraped off and my windows make a bit more gear flash type noise. But they are faster. It’s nice being able to put my windows up when it’s raining. Moisture seems to create a hindrance to window movement.

I used white lithium grease when I cleaned and re-lubed mine. I would not just put a new motor in it without doing the rubber replacement and clean/relube first. If there more drag from dirty/worn parts then that new motor will have to work harder and may not last as long. FWIW I did the new rubber and clean/relube and got a big improvement even with the original motor still in place.

If I do pull the motors out, what type of grease goes in the motor?

Proper grease? I don’t know. I probably just used whatever I had on hand.

Super Lube synthetic grease is supposed to work well for this. It's what I'm going to use on the motors I rebuild.. You can get it at Ace Hardware.

Doing a simple search yields many results.

Doing a simple search yields many results.

Guilty as charged. Should have searched.

im getting old and my creative wordage to get the search to reveal what I need is making me tired. I cant find the post where folks had good luck with swapping out the channel rubber with flocked rubber. Less drag than glass sliding against smooth rubber. Less drag less contact. I can NOT find it. Help? guy found bulk on amazon and worked great. However had to snip the corner to make the turns

Now that I have my rear power window channel guides aligned my windows go up and down without falling apart. But the windows go up very slowly. I used dry graphite lube on all moving parts and the rubber channels. Doesn't seem to help that much.

What would be your suggestions next? I really don't want to use grease as that attracts dirt. Would new window motors be in order?

Thanks for your suggestions.

A much better solution is Silicon Spray. Easy to apply, lasts about a month. Be sure all your window channels and rubber are CLEAN before applying. Just takes few seconds per window to apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom