Replace window regulator and motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced my window runs and my windows aren't much better. Thinking about doing the motors too but wondering if I should get a regulator/motor combo. The price isn't much different and it might be nice to have it preassembled. Any thoughts?

I read somewhere on here that someone used a different toyota window motor. Like out of a Camry or something common. Picked them up at a scrap yard for cheap. I think I bookmarked the thread on my computer. I need to replace all four...

Yeah I saw that but I don't want a used motor. I'd rebuild mine but from what I've read there hasn't been much success with that. Seems like the motors just wear out and rebuilding doesn't help.

I am wondering if the regulators wear out too. Perhaps the spring gets weak doesn't provide enough lift?

@SUMMIT CRUISERS did a write up on his motors. Check out his thread on it. He's as detail oriented as they come.

I'll check it out, thanks

You could try what I did.

Swap your opposite rear motor with the front. My front driver motor wasn't powerful enough to push up the front glass even with a new run. Swapped it to the rear and the rear to the front and now both work perfectly. The rear glass doesn't seem to require that much umph to move it. I don't open the rears all that much anyway. The motor moved to the front is zippy like new. It's an hour job..

I'm actually trying to speed up the rear. Its kind of a while I'm in there thing. I opened up the rear passenger door to replace the door lock motor. I'd like to speed up the window while I'm in there so I don't have to open it again. I ordered a Dorman motor last night. Seems the rear regulator is not available aftermarket so the decision was made for me. I figure I'll grease the regulator and swap in the new motor. If that doesn't speed it up I'll put the old motor back in and use the new motor in the front eventually.

Replaced the rear motor and run and cleaned it. A bit better but still slow on the way up. The rear window does not have a spring so I think it probably will always be slower going up than down.

Replaced the rear motor and run and cleaned it. A bit better but still slow on the way up. The rear window does not have a spring so I think it probably will always be slower going up than down.

Did you replace with New OEM motor?

Did you have any luck with the plug? On my Dorman, the provided adapter plugs weren't even close. I eventually gave up and spliced the old plug back onto the new motor. Solder and heat shrink.
DSC_7287.JPG

The dorman plug matches the rear door. The front door plug is a different shape but uses the same terminals. I pulled the pins and swapped the plug housing from my old motor on to the dorman lead. Worked great.

One thing I learned on the front is that cleaning the switch, even on the passenger side, makes a massive difference. I need to go back and clean the rear switch to see if it helps.

Also, my regulator spring seemed super weak. I hooked it to a different tab to give it more assist on the way up. I plan to document some of this when I'm done.

New regular will help if the spring is super weak, you should see improvement. Grease the regular and make sure all the bolt is tight, loose bolt will contribute to slow window as the window is not sliding straight.

I cleaned the regulator really well and re-greased it. Replaced the motor. Also, I tightened the regulator spring by changing the tab the spring hooks to.

Here's how it came out of the car. The spring was barely providing any assist this way:
Regulator 2.jpg

I hooked the spring on the next tab. It was providing significant force hooked up like this. It felt like enough to balance the weight of the window if not more:

Regulator 1.JPG

Final results with the engine on. Pretty fast and about the same speed up as down!

Glad this work out great for you, thanks for sharing :) Can spend $$ on some other goodies instead!!!

Well still bought a new motor and window runs. No sure what had the biggest effect. I'm sure it all adds up.

Wow really slowed down when I put the door trim back on. That molding on the inside must put some pretty good pressure on the glass. It's still alot better but maybe replacing that thing would help too.

Here's a picture of the driver side spring setup from Kernal's thread compared to my modified passenger side setup. Honestly, it looks like it's supposed to be setup the way I did it. It's a mirror image of the driver's side. I'd say my PO took it apart and put mine together wrong, but it's the same in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/got-slow-windows-heres-the-fix.840926/. Maybe it slipped off at some point and caught on the next tab? That seems almost impossible though. If this is really how it came from the factory, I don't understand why Toyota would put less assist on the passenger side vs the driver side. Really weird. Something to keep in mind if you're re-doing your passenger side window.

Comparison.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom