High(er)-Voltage Fast(er) Windows? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know the trick to more direct window motor wiring for increased voltage and higher speed?

You could build a boost converter for each window motor and up the voltage that way.
I don't think you would want to up the voltage of the entire vehicle, I'm not sure what exactly, but something would balk and probably let the magic smoke out of the entire wiring system.

Or you could do a conversion to a different window drive motor.

I’ve thought about putting a relay on one just to try it. I probably never will though.

Anyone know the trick to more direct window motor wiring for increased voltage and higher speed?
Assuming everything else has already been overhauled, including master switch. You can try bypassing the B-L 6mm CHARGE wire (EA2-2 on mine) that feeds engine bay fusebox with thicker gauge temporarily to see if it solves your problem. If that doesn't do the trick - try the W 6mm MAIN (EA3-3 on mine) that feeds engine bay fusebox. If either work, order the sealed OEM Yazaki / Tyco connectors and a proper crimper for permanent install. But either will only return original speed - which is pretty darn fast for the 90's.

Last edited:
TLC rebuilds the motors and somehow wires them to up the voltage for faster-than-stock speed. Not sure how. Similar to Slee headlight harness maybe.

Last edited:
They're doing it in conjunction with an engine swap. Alot easier running larger ga with the harness already apart.
Edit: I found one of my slow windows had a frayed wire at the pass through. Same with a power mirror. This would be the most probable failure point due to opening and closing of doors. Don't think ICON would be using old stock motor wiring

Last edited:
They're doing it in conjunction with an engine swap. Alot easier when the harness is already apart.

Good point; completely new custom wiring harmess. But I don’t know enough about it to know why that makes it easier or, rather, why it can’t be duplicated off the stock wiring?

Easier to bypass / replace with bigger wire in the entire circuit to eliminate V drop.
First step would be checking for V drop at the motors if the goal is stock performance
Edit: I guess I've been assuming all along that you have slow windows due to voltage drop. But maybe they already work like new and you want even faster?
With upgraded wiring and new feed to battery - you could in theory have the motor "upgraded" to handle more amps
An electric motor repair shop sparky should be able to hop-up the motor

Last edited:
Easier to bypass / replace with bigger wire in the entire circuit to eliminate V drop.
First step would be checking for V drop at the motors if the goal is stock performance
Edit: I guess I've been assuming all along that you have slow windows due to voltage drop. But maybe they already work like new and you want even faster?
With upgraded wiring and new feed to battery - you could in theory have the motor "upgraded" to handle more amps
An electric motor repair shop sparky should be able to hop-up the motor
So far as I know mine work normally slowly. But I heard JW talking about this and thought, hey, maybe it’s not that hard. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom