Slipping and Hard 1st to 2nd Shift in 4-Low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
When I'm in 4-Low, my LX450 exhibits slipping before shifting to 2nd gear. The RPMs climb and then kicks hard as 2nd engages. It does this only in low and never in high. Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

So there's no concern about the slipping, that's normal for an 80 in low?

Can you describe what you're referring to as slipping? Do you have your 'power' button on?

This time I did have the power button in. Didn't think about that. In 2nd when it's in 4 low the engine would rev and it wasn't really moving. Stopping and shifting to 1st it worked fine. Go back to 2nd and it would shift but lurch forward harshly. It's done this hard shift thing for the past year since i bought it. That's regardless of the power button position. I'll try testing the slipping issue without the power button. That hard shift seems unnatural though.

Hard shift is somewhat normal in low range due to the gear ratios. Slipping is another issue. It it possible that you have worn drive flanges and the movement starts when the viscous coupler does it thing.

Revving hard and not going far is also normal in low range, especially in 1st gear. Your gearing is reduced, the motor has to turn faster to move the wheels. If that's your only reason for assuming it's slipping, you're likely okay.

Revving hard and not going far is also normal in low range, especially in 1st gear...

Being used to the shift pattern of my old 700R4, it certainly takes some trail time getting used to this. I've been riding shotgun in the LX a few times on mild trails the past week, and it takes quite some rpm for the truck to come out of first, particularly noticeable in situations where there's no real obstacle, and we're not really trying to crawl. As I'm learning the truck, it seems 1st gear Low isn't that useful on mild trails - 2nd gear start button to the rescue. Not sure how much I'm gonna like this once I get the '93 out...

There is a mod you can do to change the shift point behavior back to the 'standard' points you're used to in high gear.

Being used to the shift pattern of my old 700R4, it certainly takes some trail time getting used to this. I've been riding shotgun in the LX a few times on mild trails the past week, and it takes quite some rpm for the truck to come out of first, particularly noticeable in situations where there's no real obstacle, and we're not really trying to crawl. As I'm learning the truck, it seems 1st gear Low isn't that useful on mild trails - 2nd gear start button to the rescue. Not sure how much I'm gonna like this once I get the '93 out...

It takes some practice but if you rev it until just before it shifts and then back out, the harshness of the shift is subdued considerably.

It takes some practice but if you rev it until just before it shifts and then back out, the harshness of the shift is subdued considerably.

That's actually what I was doing on the last run this weekend. I'll pay attention to the 2nd start and power buttons and see if I can find a comfortable spot. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

please advise your passengers of the hard shifting tendency

the first time I rode shotgun in an 80 in low range, I near damn suffocated on the water I was drinking when it jerked into second gear :eek:

That's actually what I was doing on the last run this weekend. I'll pay attention to the 2nd start and power buttons and see if I can find a comfortable spot. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

If you have a 2nd gear start, use it and shift to first only when needed. The other method is a PITA but it works if you get the hang of it.

please advise your passengers of the hard shifting tendency the first time I rode shotgun in an 80 in low range, I near damn suffocated on the water I was drinking when it jerked into second gear :eek:
I did wear some water on one shift. :)

2nd start is good for all the milder stuff, it was good for me even on somewhat steep climb. For reference I have stock gear and 33s, The most I've used my 1 low is descending steeper stuff or really steep climb which I haven't done a whole lot of.

2nd start is good for all the milder stuff, it was good for me even on somewhat steep climb. For reference I have stock gear and 33s, The most I've used my 1 low is descending steeper stuff or really steep climb which I haven't done a whole lot of.

Agree, plus on low traction surfaces and in the rocks. The only downside to 2nd gear start is when you forget to down shift and get in trouble.:eek:

There is a mod you can do to change the shift point behavior back to the 'standard' points you're used to in high gear.

Can you elaborate on said mod?

For those of us that are considered "Not smart shoppers..." and do not have the 2nd start button (93-94 models) there are a few methods I have used.

On the highway in high range I always have the power button on. This changes the shift points and winds out each gear before shifting to the next gear. IMHO this is needed but others shift by hand through the gears. I use the OD button alot as I drive for different things like the approach to an oncoming hill to get the RPM's more into the power band of the motor.

Off road in low range I turn off the power button because I want the normal shift points that will shift sooner. BrotherRob is correct in the shifting and once you get used to where it shifts you rev slightly, back off the skinny pedal and the shift is mild. If you ease into the skinny pedal and approach the shift point from 1st to 2nd and press harder the shift is very hard and possible wheel spin (depending on the tranny cable adjustment). I also use the OD button to shift into OD to help the top end (advantage over 95-97 models).

A lot to do but helps with drivability FWIW

Can you elaborate on said mod?

You need to add the CDL switch and then instead of doing the 7 pin mod to keep the center locking automatically when shifting to low range, you unplug the connector for the L4 sensor on the transfer case. That keeps the shift points low as the transmission isn't given the signal that low range has been activated.

Well, you don't have to pull the connector off... all you really have to do is interrupt the the black/blue wire from the ECU to the L4 switch. Connect it to a switch, connect +12V on to the other side of the switch. When the circuit has power, the transmission will shift using the low range map, when open (no voltage) it will shift using the high range map ("easy shifting"), giving you full control.

This includes overdrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom