Builds CruiseOrlando's Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiseOrlando

Conveniently Enhanced
Threads
I've added this index of things done to make it easier to find:

Integrated winch in bumper, 33's, front axle job
Front bumper & sliders installed
PCV valve oil/water separator installed
Battery tender installed
1" body lift installed
TJM 2.5" lift installed
Light mount tabs fabbed up, welded on bumper
Pintle hitch, iPhone mount, 12V accessory mount
My first GSMTR
Rebuilt alternator, installed 150A alternator
LED's in the dash
More LED stuff, front diff protection
Painted rims
IPOR rear bumper
Valve cover gasket, EGR/PAIR delete
5.29's
345's!
PT kit installed, Marlin low range gears
Slee 4" lift installed
Flares removed

Here's my list of things to do/done up here as well:

1) CDL Switch
2) Change horn
3) Install winch
4) Fix antenna (trail damage!)
5) New tires
6) Front axle job
7) New front rotors/brakes
8) Replace spark plugs & wires
9) Brake flush
10) Change diffs, transfer case & tranny fluids
11) Clean throttle body
12) Add oil separator to PCV valve
13) New front bumper
14) Sliders
15) Install iPhone mount
16) New lights on bumper
17) TJM 2.5" Lift Kit
18) Add +12V outlets, some switched
19) Replace PCV valve
20) New valve cover gasket (due to other work)
21) Replace spark plug grommets
22) Fix DS mirror wobble (again)
23) Fix turn signals (cuts off too soon during turn)
24) Fix small leak in transfer case
25) Change speakers, maybe head unit
26) Install 1" Body lift
27) PHH & Coolant flush

28) Blue fan clutch mod
29) 130/150A Alternator
30) Fix PS water leak (sunroof? A/C evaporator?)

31) On board air
32) Swing-out rear bumper
33) Belly armor
34) Hand throttle (I'm #132!)
35) Install 3* castor correction bushings
36) Fix broken rear swaybar mount
37) Install temperature monitor
38) Install CB radio
39) Install pintle hitch, remove standard hitch[/strike]
40) Upgrade battery/alternator wiring, prep for dual battery setup
40) Spraypaint rims
41) 345/75/16 KM2's
42) Part time kit
43) Marlin Crawler low transfer case gear
44) 5.29's
45) Slee 4" lift
46) Replace window runs
47) Extend brake lines
48) Extend diff breathers

49) Tube rear LCA's
50) Monstaliner the truck

Background:

I bought her back in October 2011. A 1994 with 170K on the clock, the PO didn't know what lockers were. He was the 2nd owner, the first was over on the west coast of Florida, who used it primarily to tow his boat around. She was in pretty good shape - load proportioning valve was bad and she had a leaky oil pump gasket, both of which were quickly fixed by a guy who really knows these Cruisers.

IMG_9771.jpg

I took her out to a clay pit to play around a bit, took some flex shots:

richloam_3.JPG

It didn't take long for me to go back to the area and go places I aught not go alone. But hey, I was having fun... heading down a trail that had some big puddles... sticky puddles... and soon enough I got stuck. In the middle of nowhere. With no cell reception. And no one knowing where I was. Smart. Real smart.

Richlaom_6.jpg]

This was the point at which I knew I needed a winch - more on that later.

One a trip down to Key West, I discovered the A/C wasn't all that great. It just felt like it wasn't keeping up. My father in law is pretty good with cars, and he knows a thing or two about A/C systems. After a bit of research, I decided a new expansion valve and dryer were in order.

Here's my thread on that process: A/C Drier - does short drier change R134 charge?

After changing out the drier and doing a complete flush of the evaporator, we didn't find any crud coming out, so we assumed the rest of the system was probably in good shape. So we sucked it down and refilled - it's been working great since.

a-c_redo_1.JPG

This was also about the time I discovered I would need to do a front axel job, so that went on the list of things to do as well - the list was growing faster than I could get them off!

Last edited:
After that project, I had a little down time and then got started on the winch.

I knew I wanted a new bumper eventually, but I didn't know what I wanted yet. So after looking around a bit, I found another thread on an integrated bumper, and decided that's what I was going to do as well. Here's that build thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/561159-project-stock-front-bumper-integrated-winch-ii.html

It came out looking pretty nice, and quite functional - except for the fact that you really can't see the spool well, so when you're winding back it's hard to tell if you're doing it right or not.

IMG_2121.jpg

A few months later I got to test it out pulling some friends out of the mud. It worked well, although I knew it wasn't going to be the final answer.

My next upgrade was the tires. In late Feb I pulled the trigger on Dunlop Fierce Attitude 305/75's on the stock 16's.

IMG_2135.jpg

I really like the way they look, except it really started showing how much I needed a lift.

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2259.JPG

Then it was on to more serious things - like fixing my leaking axle. The PS was really bad, oozing out. So I tore into that one week - what a fun time that was!

CDan sent me a care package with all my stuff - including new pads, rotors, spark plug wires, plugs and a couple of other goodies.

IMG_2147.jpg

Yummy birf soup!

IMG_2233.jpg

I took a little time to actually capture the whole process. I created a time-lapse video of a lot of the procedure and posted that here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/575960-time-lapse-video-front-axel-job.html

Last edited:
This is about the point - the last month or so - when the sickness started really kicking in. I'm going to GSMTR (hope to see you there) and began to realize I need to do a few things to get ready.

Namely, sliders. I banged the crap out of my rocker panels a few weeks ago (I blame Archie for egging me on!) - so I'd planned on getting in on the Metal Tech group buy and buying some sliders, having them delivered to GSMTR. Well, 40TUDE had other plans for my money, and offered me a deal on his sliders - AND front bumper.

So last weekend FloridaCruiser813 and I headed over there and 40TUDE helped get everything settled (sorry not the best pics, will do better later):

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

This took my sagging front suspension to all new lows... literally...

IMG_2364.jpg

I'm pretty much resting on the bump stops now!

So added to the pre-GSMTR list is new springs and shocks, along with fixed castor on the control arms.

I just placed an order for a TJM kit with Slee this evening, hopefully we'll see that come in by Friday and I'll get it on the following weekend.

To do at this point:

1) Fix solenoid box for winch
2) Install additional power internally - more 12V outlets up front, along with a non-switched outlet for use w/o accessory switch.
3) Upgraded wiring coming into the cab providing additional power for bigger draw devices (not all yet decided on what that's going to be)
4) On-board air
5) iPhone mount
6) Lights

I'm sure I'm missing some things... but I'll keep 'em posted here.

Oh yeah, put in a 7-pin mod as well, and upgraded stereo. Looking to change out the speakers later.

I also put in an oil/water separator on the PCV hose:

IMG_2356.jpg

Coupla hundred miles on it and I'm already seeing a few ml of oil in there. It's a simple one from Harbor Freight ($5 on sale) plus about $5 in connectors. I found Lowes had a better selection for the 1/4" to 3/8" barb on that.

I also changed out my starter for a 2nd time. The first time I had it done at a shop because I was in a hurry... but they put some POS Made in Mexico crap in there that sounded like metal-on-metal. Not having time at the time to stop it and get it fixed right, I finally broke down and replaced it with a Denso rebuild. NOW she sounds like a real LC starting up... man that old starter got on my nerves.

I then put new front-and-rear lift supports on... no more bangin' the noggin', or (one of my big fears) getting my hand smashed by the hood coming down when you're least expecting it. I did the same lift on the back as many have done here, and for the fronts I picked up replacements off of Amazon that were easy swaps.

Last edited:
Very nice, CruiseOrlando! I've seen your threads/contributions recently, so it's nice to see your progress all in one place. I never get tired of reading this stuff. Best of luck as you continue sprucing up your 80. I'm obsessed with mine! After a while, I'll be doing a similar thread to yours.

Looking good!! Keep it coming. We will get your springs broke in at GSMTR. You might as well take your rear bumper ends off cause they are going to get f-ing ripped off anyways :) JUS SAYIN

I don't plan on coming back unscathed, but I would appreciate it if the environment keeps the damage to cosmetic :)

Great write up. Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another which leads to another and so the cycle never ends! Nice looking rig, see you at GSMTR!

Nice truck man... Same color as mine! Wish I was going to GSMTR this year. Maybe next year.:crybaby:

Nice work! I grew up in Orlando and get back there from time to time. Where were you off-roading? I used to take my 4x4 Passport back around Sea World and some areas between the groves out in Windermere/West Orange area. That was 15 years ago so I have no idea what is still around to get off pavement. Let me know if you are up for a ride and I'll message you next time I head up that way.

Got my hi-lift in today. Mounted it up. As you can see from this slightly better picture, I still haven't gotten the solenoid box mounted. I'm still playing around with different configurations - not sure what I'm going to do yet. I think I'm going to put it in place for now with velcro, then do a more permanent solution later.

IMG_2384.JPG

Also picked up some cheap lights from Harbor Freight. I don't expect them to last, but maybe they'll be good for a night drive or two at GSMTR until I figure out what kind I really want - I'm sure I'll get a good look at a few up there!

Looks like your getting there. I would mount those lights in the middle of your bull bar so they don't get in the way of your main lights.

The pic looks pretty cool. Looks like the 80 has round eyes. x2 on the lights being in the middle. You dont want them to interfere with your headlights . Looks good though

Yeah, I don't have any tabs in the middle of the bumper yet. I'm looking into other ways I can do it, or maybe do a quick hack job... I also need to move the hi-lift around a little to keep it from blocking the headlights as well.

Nice Rig. Where were you when I lived in Orlando. It was me and ChuckD. Thats it for wheelers in CFL.

I can't quit looking at the picture of the lights !!!! I definitely want to look into a round eye conversion for my 80 :)

Nice Rig. Where were you when I lived in Orlando. It was me and ChuckD. Thats it for wheelers in CFL.

Hah! I still haven't met any Orlando wheelers.

Now Lutz... well, that's a different story... ;)

I can't quit looking at the picture of the lights !!!! I definitely want to look into a round eye conversion for my 80 :)

I'm actually going to move them before GSMTR. I found a friend who's got some spare metal and he's going to weld on some new tabs closer to the middle.

In the mean time, I'll probably pull the Hi-Lift and take more pictures just to have them, and post 'em up for the heck of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom